SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by lmopar69, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 02:31 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,856 Posts
Alert
UGLY fun jet crash in Afghanistan!

So, good old CW3 Matt Cole and I decided its time for him to have a Fun Jet. Matt has a 40 size glow trainer that my good freind Bert Matos (Qbanflyer) gave to him last year. He has 4 or 5 successful flights with that.

So, yesterday I handed him a Fun Jet, Optic 6, two HS 65 Servos, a Neu 1112 1Y motor and Castle Creations Phoenix 45. Today, I came in from my flight and it was built, and painted! NICE. So, he wanted to fly it.... well, not such a good idea I thought. "Why dont you fly MY Fun Jet?" (Same setup, just mine is a little beat up already.) "Sounds good". So, we packed up and off we went to our little "off limits" flying area.

We got there, I did a quick pre flight, set it up with 50% throws on my DX7 and I launched it. I flew it a bit, trimmed it out then handed the TX over to Matt. 8 seconds later.... You know the rest of the story!

We have all been there and done that. Gotta learn somehow! So, now, after repairing the FJ, he has spent the last few hours flying my G-3 sim on his laptop. (shoulda done that sooner!) He is determined to fly one of these little buggers.

Here are the pics! Enjoy! And be sure to check out www.bagramrcclub.com if you get the chance!

Laine.
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
Last edited by lmopar69; Sep 10, 2008 at 02:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2008, 02:58 PM
Retired USAF
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
It's foam, that'll buff right out! Seriously though, my FunJet has been through some "experiences" as well and still flies great. I don't know how fast yours is with the Neu motor, but I'm running a Mega 16/15/3 on mine and it's definitely not a beginners plane with that setup. Two main problems are 1) It's not self-recovering AT ALL if it's balanced right and 2) Orientation can be a bear due to the shape--you need lots of contrast from top to bottom as well. One of the great things about the FunJet is that it's easily repaired-- It also flies GREAT at slow speeds until a person gets comfortable with it. I love mine...it's my "take to the field EVERY TIME" plane.

Glad you guys are having some fun over there! (sent you a PM as well...)
cynjon is offline Find More Posts by cynjon
Old Sep 10, 2008, 03:16 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,856 Posts
Yeah, its no trainer! Capable of 90ish on a 2S lipo. But, hey, its what we have! Gotta learn ya know! Plus, with the massive winds we get here, we need something like a FJ. I just wish I had a buddy cord for it here. I may have to order one.

Laine.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 04:09 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,117 Posts
some glue, some tape, and it will be good to go. I have seen some that look like duct tape is all over the fun jet. They break, but are very fixable. I have a few other planes that when they hit, get a bag.

You will get him in the air and fly fine Laine.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
Got my shirts the other day, way cool.
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Sep 10, 2008, 07:02 PM
Retired USAF
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmopar69
I just wish I had a buddy cord for it here. I may have to order one.

Laine.
What radios do you have? DX7 and ???
cynjon is offline Find More Posts by cynjon
Last edited by cynjon; Sep 10, 2008 at 11:50 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:47 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,603 Posts
[QUOTE=lmopar69WARLORDS! We fly UH-60s... but apparently thats about it!QUOTE]
LMAO I just don't really know what else to say......... Uhhh he isn't looking into doing commercial is he? Still LMAO Sorry Laine but this just REALLY hit my funny bone. I guess because I've been there & done that. This is just BUSTING my chops...

Dan
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert
Old Sep 11, 2008, 12:09 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,856 Posts
Orrin, Its already fixed man! Matt grabbed some CA and kicker and had all the little pieces back into one bigger, although oddly shaped, piece.

Cynjon, I have my DX7, and we have some Hitec Optic 6's that Hitec sent us. Thats about it. I have my DX7 and AR7000 set up on the "trainer fun jet". Matt has the Optic on his (not flown yet).

Deckert, yeah, I been laughing about it too. However, it is driving Matt crazy! He has sworn that he will fly that dang thing! Only time will tell!

Laine.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:10 PM
RIP Bryce Russell Love U!
United States, AL, Headland
Joined Jun 2005
312 Posts
It don't look sooo bad! Tell Matt not to worry, he will get it. To make him smile tell him what my cow plane looked like after the ground reached up and snatched it.
kmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by kmopar69
Old Sep 12, 2008, 01:55 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,856 Posts
I just laughed when he did it. Had he handed me the TX during the "incident" I MAY have been able to save it. Once he cut the throttle, he was doing good on a nice turn (turning away from the flight line where the C-130s park!!!) But, he rolled it just a bit too much at about 20 feet of alt. and nosed it in inverted. Such is life! Its all fixed now...just UGLY!

Laine.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 09:04 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
I've been thru a couple three FunJets with similar... actually with a lot worse end-results.. and feel the pain..
Hi hope you guys can have lotsa fun on occasion flying.. and get home soon and Safe.. We appreciate all you are doing out there a Lot ! JimS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmopar69
I just laughed when he did it. Had he handed me the TX during the "incident" I MAY have been able to save it. Once he cut the throttle, he was doing good on a nice turn (turning away from the flight line where the C-130s park!!!) But, he rolled it just a bit too much at about 20 feet of alt. and nosed it in inverted. Such is life! Its all fixed now...just UGLY!

Laine.
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Sep 17, 2008, 12:32 AM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
It is sooo frakking unfair that you get to fly (RC stuff that is) over here and I got shut down with the "blah, blah, com interference, blah, blah, airspace, blah, blah, security" thing. I don't see the difference betwen Bagram and KAF if that were truly a valid concern. Plus for the last 6 months I've been out in the middle of frakking NOWHERE outside Garmsir and they still wouldn't let me play. But I'm finally close to going home. I can't imagine coming to this point in the tour and saying, "Well, we're half way done." I don't know how you Army guys do it.

Take care.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old Sep 17, 2008, 01:36 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,856 Posts
Hey kendall... who said we asked! lol Thats the great part about being a Warrant Officer and a pilot... we kinda do what we want. Now, Im sure that eventually someone will tell me not to. We may stop... depends on who it is!

That sucks though that they shut you down. But, hey, if you make it up here to BAF, let me know... I'll get ya some flight time!

As for the time gone... yeah, Air Force guys have it made. 6 month deployment! I could do that with my eyes closed! heck, even 12 months seems like we are getting over lately. 15 months sucks!

Laine.