HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2008, 01:17 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Discussion
BVM Bandit, Electra, Mig-15, Tamjets A-4 and F-16 power by TJ100 videos

Today I got three more flights with 12s set up.
Here is two videos clip.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post10519095
http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/Mig-1...J100-video-wmv
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Last edited by Tamjets; Sep 15, 2008 at 12:33 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2008, 02:29 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,359 Posts
Awesome airplane!! Can`t wait to see it in person.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2008, 07:07 AM
Just here to fly stuff
Everywhere
Joined Dec 2005
421 Posts
Tam, the Bandit looked great! Really looking forward to seeing it fly at Ohio.
LeadSled is offline Find More Posts by LeadSled
Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:01 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,254 Posts
The light 12s settup flys better than the 14s.. less money in packs and less weight to land

That pretty much proves your point...

good job
Ron
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:04 AM
Suspended Account
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2004
2,083 Posts
Nice Tam but I thought you were going for speed. The fastest pass in the second video (the one with 4.5kw) was only 171 mph and that was out of a dive and with a strong tail wind. The doppler below was taken between 2:30 and 2:36 on the video. Unless you get more speed, the 12S EVF powered Electras are going to give you a rough time.

Kirk
k_sonn is offline Find More Posts by k_sonn
Old Sep 10, 2008, 01:08 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,738 Posts
time for more cells...or more green bottles!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Sep 10, 2008, 01:24 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_sonn
Nice Tam but I thought you were going for speed. The fastest pass in the second video (the one with 4.5kw) was only 171 mph and that was out of a dive and with a strong tail wind. The doppler below was taken between 2:30 and 2:36 on the video. Unless you get more speed, the 12S EVF powered Electras are going to give you a rough time.

Kirk

Kirk,
This is a Bandit and is big. The 6600mAh 12s set up weight 18 lbs. Even I only go 120mph. But there is no body fly the Bandit to compare the power.
If the Electra. That is we can see the power different. I had this set up in the Electra right now. I won't post the video until after Ohio.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 01:52 PM
Suspended Account
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2004
2,083 Posts
Ok, the Bandit is a little larger than the Electra but not that much. So what you're saying is that by dropping 2 cells and adding 1700 more mAh you increased the weight of the Bandit by 2 pounds (the 14S setup weighed 16 pounds). Wow. So much for those light weight setups you've been preaching about for the last couple of months. That's a serious weight increase. Throw those batteries away and go back to the 4900 mAh setup.

By the way, below is the doppler of the first diving, downwind speed pass from the 16 pound, 14S setup. It looks like the 12S setup is a little faster. It must be all that extra weight creating some momentum in the dive.

Kirk
Old Sep 10, 2008, 02:16 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Ok, the Bandit is a little larger than the Electra but not that much. So what you're saying is that by dropping 2 cells and adding 1700 more mAh you increased the weight of the Bandit by 2 pounds (the 14S setup weighed 16 pounds). Wow. So much for those light weight setups you've been preaching about for the last couple of months. That's a serious weight increase. Throw those batteries away and go back to the 4900 mAh setup.

By the way, below is the doppler of the first diving, downwind speed pass from the 16 pound, 14S setup. It looks like the 12S setup is a little faster. It must be all that extra weight creating some momentum in the dive.

Kirk

Kirk,
The Bandit is a lot bigger. I had two size by size. The weight different between Band and Electra 3.5 lbs on the same power set up.
That is huge different.
The Bandit 14s 4900mAh was weight again after I final finish was 17 lbs.
My early post weight was off by .7 lbs. I didn't had all the accessories install after is all finish.
The 6600mAh 12s weight 1 lbs heavier than 4900mAh 14s.
I wish the Kontronik Power Jazz work smooth through out the flight.
I had 3 set of those 14s 4900mAh. Until Casstle get their HV sorted out. That when I'll go back to 14s.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 02:39 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,692 Posts
Tam this is the controller you want to use: Schulze fut-40.160H
Robert Belluomini is online now Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Sep 10, 2008, 02:58 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,359 Posts
Quote:
Ok, the Bandit is a little larger than the Electra but not that much.
Come on K sonn, the Bandit and Electra are like apples and oranges, surely you know that. If not, your perceptions are so out of whack that I`d hesitate to put much stock in your Doppler work either.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2008, 03:23 PM
Suspended Account
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2004
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle
Come on K sonn, the Bandit and Electra are like apples and oranges, surely you know that. If not, your perceptions are so out of whack that I`d hesitate to put much stock in your Doppler work either.
Come on Lee, no need for you to take this personal. You have no dog in this fight as you texan say (if there was a fight, which there isn't). Anyone can do the dopplers and they will get the same results. I gave the time on the video from where the first doppler was taken. I'm not putting Tam's fan down. I have one and you and I were the first to fly his fan. All I'm saying is that Tam made the comment that he was going for speed with the Bandit. Based on that comment and the dopplers, these two setups could be considered failures by anyone with analytical skills. In a phone conversion Tam and I had a couple of months ago he stated he would not test the 1521 motor because the added weight of the motor and cells was not worth the few hundred watts it produced. It seems he was right. Tam has also been comparing his setups with all of the other setups in the 110 to 120mm range stating that his setup is the lightest and produces the more power than any of them without reguard to the size of the airframe. So, let's not start crying about the Bandit being larger than the Electra. Besides, I'm not the one who brought up the size of the airframe and if Tam was going for all out speed he should of made a wiser decision about which airframe to use. In reality, no one flying Tam's fan has been able to break the 200 mph barrier. That can't be said about the TF4000. Been there, done that and it will be done again.

Kirk
Old Sep 10, 2008, 03:45 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
yeah don't sweat it Lee, kirks just being honest and analytical about his perspective, that's a good thing, it ensures we look at everything honestly. it' too easy to do your own thing and think it's the bees knees, but we all need an outside eye.

I still might agree with that about the 1521, but this setup was the smaller 1518 motor. and lets say for argument it only did 150, the bandit isn't a tad bigger, it's 25% more wing, 25% more weight but 30% less inlet! what more is there to say looking at that alone! then compare it to other bandits flying' oh wait! there are none!
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Sep 10, 2008, 04:15 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Come on Lee, no need for you to take this personal. You have no dog in this fight as you texan say (if there was a fight, which there isn't). Anyone can do the dopplers and they will get the same results. I gave the time on the video from where the first doppler was taken. I'm not putting Tam's fan down. I have one and you and I were the first to fly his fan. All I'm saying is that Tam made the comment that he was going for speed with the Bandit. Based on that comment and the dopplers, these two setups could be considered failures by anyone with analytical skills. In a phone conversion Tam and I had a couple of months ago he stated he would not test the 1521 motor because the added weight of the motor and cells was not worth the few hundred watts it produced. It seems he was right. Tam has also been comparing his setups with all of the other setups in the 110 to 120mm range stating that his setup is the lightest and produces the more power than any of them without reguard to the size of the airframe. So, let's not start crying about the Bandit being larger than the Electra. Besides, I'm not the one who brought up the size of the airframe and if Tam was going for all out speed he should of made a wiser decision about which airframe to use. In reality, no one flying Tam's fan has been able to break the 200 mph barrier. That can't be said about the TF4000. Been there, done that and it will be done again.

Kirk

Kirk,
I'm speakless.
You got me. I should not fly the Bandit with E-power. But why not.
Breaking 200mph is only question how much power to do it and what the weight of the aircraft?
If you had to use 5.5kw 6kw to do it.
Well, 195mph on 4.2kw is not bad right?
Anyways, there is chance you see the TJ100 fly in the Electra at Ohio to the speed you want on less watts.
I know what is bugging you lately. But we let it go and we have fun at Ohio.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 04:35 PM
Joined Aug 2000
3,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamjets
I know what is bugging you lately.
Oh ... do tell
Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Gordon