SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 09, 2008, 10:21 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,938 Posts
Build Log
DHC2 Beaver bashed off the Blu-Baby 2010 Update...

I'd originally posted my attempt at doing a Beaver by "tweaking" Tony65x55's 33" span Blu-Baby after making several and finding the design to be a super forgiving and easy to build plane. A couple of folks asked for plans, but I had only done a rough outline of the plane by blending a Beaver threeview with the Blu-Baby threeview in sketchup. Since then I have been learning more of the power of Sketchup and how to get the designs out onto paper. So, here it is; a build guide for my version of the Beaver. Some pics of the completed plane below:

Video of the maiden flight here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post10343477
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by springer; Dec 16, 2010 at 01:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2008, 10:27 PM
HEAVY METAL JUNKY
seville ohio
Joined Apr 2007
302 Posts
ooops
skippyflyboy is offline Find More Posts by skippyflyboy
Old Sep 09, 2008, 10:28 PM
HEAVY METAL JUNKY
seville ohio
Joined Apr 2007
302 Posts
Springer,

Nicely done! Your beaver (that don't sound right ) looks great.

What did you use for the cowl????

Skippy
skippyflyboy is offline Find More Posts by skippyflyboy
Old Sep 09, 2008, 10:38 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,938 Posts
Here are first a full size plan, and then a tiled version. I tiled it using sketchup (20 pages but 8 are blank, not very well cropped), may try using scale & tile to see if I can get a better/smaller version. A couple of comments about the plan. I used 2" foam for the monobloc on the prototype. That made for a narrow fuse, but I made the plans more like the real plane in width but will require adding layers to achieve the 2 7/16 to 2 1/2" thickness. The wing of the real Beaver is a high aspect ratio, very long and narrow wing. I cheated the plans to make a slightly wider chord, but it still comes out to 44" span vs the 33" of the Blu-Baby it was developed from. I cheated the wing saddle on the original so that I could use a lower aspect ratio wing if need be, but made the patterns for the current wing. This wing (44"x6") flies the plane nicely if not as aerobatically as the blu-Baby. The wing construction is a "sortof" KFM. I made a UC wing using gpw's bendfoam jig, then added a lower doubled surface at front 40% of the topsurface (bottom step) It's got skewers on leading edge with Gorilla Glue and packing tape, and glued and taped center joint. Rubber bands hold it to fuse. Fuselage has 1/8" incidence built in.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2008, 10:49 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,161 Posts
Nice Beaver!

Thanks, i just had it stuffed

That is one of my favorite lines from the movies!

Cool plans Mike. Didn't you say you used a yogurt tub or something for the cowling? It definitely flies nice too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faueBMiceHo
SGTalon is offline Find More Posts by SGTalon
Old Sep 09, 2008, 10:49 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,938 Posts
Several pictures of the plane in process:

I used a vitamin bottle for the engine cowling. It is about 3" diameter which works with the 2" monobloc, but if doing the wider fuse, one will need a bottle about 3 1/2 " dia.

For Landing Gear I tried the shock absorbed version using two O-rings. Haven't made a template for the wire, but will. It works nicely, pretty forgiving and makes for nice rog and landings on smooth surfaces.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2008, 10:51 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,938 Posts
Thanks Dennis< I'll have to wait til tomorrow and a trip to the library to see the vid!

edit: I just noticed it's only 7 sec, Only took two minutes to download, so I watched it. Ha!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by springer; Sep 09, 2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 01:09 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,938 Posts
Updated video here

Wow, the thread is more than 828 days old! how time flies! This guy has sat on the shelf of my "hanger" for most of that time. After getting her to fly, I got into other stuff, and she languished. I was never satisfied with the narrowness of the fuse and the small diameter of the cowl bottle bottom I'd used on her. I finally decided to either fix her or throw her. So here's the update. I found a bottle that looks better, split the fuse down the midline and spread to a more scale/like width and reglued. made more stable gear that I may cover like the real plane, etc. She looks and flys better. Here's a vid shot this morning outside (temp 14F and winds almost calm - otherwise I can't handle the cold!)

U6a Beaver on the snow 12-15-10 (1 min 26 sec)
RCG Plus Member