HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2008, 04:05 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,536 Posts
Help!
Spektrum DX5e AR500 Polarity Question

A DX5e followed my home from the LHS today after going there for a bottle of CA. I hate it when that happens. Anyhoo, this is my first Spektrum and looking at the AR500 there are no markings about plug polarity anywhere on the receiver. Since the charger has reverse polarity on the charger plug I thought I better ask. The manual doesn't say squat. All of the 72mhz CC stuff I have usually have the black or brown wire which I think is ground near the outside of the case.

Please advise.

Rick
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2008, 05:18 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Should be that the ground connection is at the bottom, but if you look carefully you should see that one edge has little teeth sticking up which are supposed to be the rounded "key" for the servo connectors.

All the other Spektrum receivers have the signal on the top pin (closest to the antennae), power in the middle, and ground on the bottom (farthest away from the antennae).
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Sep 09, 2008, 05:27 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,278 Posts
If you plug the servos or power connector in backwards, it just won't work. They won't fry!
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Sep 09, 2008, 06:56 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,536 Posts
Thanks for the replies. My 58 year old eyes have trouble seeing the pins, much less anything else. After putting on my "jewelers hood" I could barely see some of the sticker markings that had been all but cut off. It would appear that the pins are as youse guys suggested, signal nearest, power in the center and ground near the outside of the case.

Jeese Spectrum it would be so easy to make this a bit more visable and even mention it in the manual.

I did plug some stuff in and it works fine.

Thanks again.

Rick
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Sep 09, 2008, 06:57 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot
Should be that the ground connection is at the bottom, but if you look carefully you should see that one edge has little teeth sticking up which are supposed to be the rounded "key" for the servo connectors.

All the other Spektrum receivers have the signal on the top pin (closest to the antennae), power in the middle, and ground on the bottom (farthest away from the antennae).
Not all JR and Spektrum are that way- but along with watching for the obvious case curved edge side -- look at the tiny printed legend on side or face of most rx
+ / -/ @ / The last one means signal .
By reversing power plug in--- -in some cases --- you can get a bind - but the rx will quit - when bind pln is removed
reason why is that red is always in center AND the bind pin will "jumper" the ground .
Guess how I found THIS one. I am now fooling with the new 500 rxs I have - inteesting - they are different -
fail mode drops power (?) signal(?) to all pins except throttle and servos go limp. once rx is back to normal - the servos all return to TX command position
The reset time is a bit of a puzzle - It is pretty quick but not instant. _ I have 7000/6200/ 6100 6100E/ 921 /9000 rx so I can see the various reset conditions
I have yet to do real time, outdoor signal loss tests.
my friggen microwave would not kill the rx ! and I had no helper so that I could get further than 10 ft away . The low signal test was a bust - but tomorrow - we will check em out.
and of course fly em - ready to go---
The problem--is I don't have any range problems even with 6100 rx. so I will have to compare "range checks
Saturday -I did range checks on a new 12 channelon a friends' big model - and simply got tired of trying to get it to fail
We were also using a LOG -to see actual misfires - we got fades in single digit amounts - the system has 3 remote rx and in flight gets only single digit fades
Batt power is A123.
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Last edited by richard hanson; Sep 09, 2008 at 07:04 PM.