HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2008, 03:56 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,819 Posts
Discussion
My puppy loves to pee on the carpet.

The dog has been living outside for the past week or two and EVERY time we let her inside to play the first thing she does is take a wizz on the carpet. Its like she's potty trained in reverse.

Any advice?
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
Old Sep 09, 2008, 04:11 PM
Smoke gets in your eyes
Joined Apr 2007
191 Posts
Put her right back out side-she will learn that her peeing is what gets her back outside.
2SMOKINBARRELS is offline Find More Posts by 2SMOKINBARRELS
Old Sep 09, 2008, 04:15 PM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
If it's going to be an "outside" dog, then I can't see how you're going to train her that easily.
I've never had an outside dog in my whole life. All my pets have been part of the family for good or bad (like family), and I've never been a fan of having an animal that is only given attention randomly. Those neglected animals are the ones who invariably suffer most of the psychological quirks, and that leads to even more neglect by the owners. (Parrots are famous for literally going insane if they are neglected.)

So the main question is if you really want to make her a family member or if your intent is to leave her sit out in the yard by herself all alone for most of her life.
If it's the latter, just don't let her in the house at all. In fact, it might even be better for you to euthanize her and end her miserable lonely life.

On the other hand, if your intent is to bring her into the house to live with and be part of the family, then do so, training is easy and almost automatic.
We now have two dogs, the newest puppy being one that I scrapped off the pavement after it was run over by a pickup truck (broken leg, collapsed lung, crushed bladder and kidney... really messed up). Cutest little mostly black Lab (with a touch of Dalmation) that you ever saw.
He was only about 4 months old (if that) when we rescued him, and even though he was convolescing from his injuries, he was as easy to train as our (also rescued) Doberman/Shephard.

All we did was to keep an eye on him all the time (yes, it requires some personal effort). Then when he started to squat, I'd yell at him angrily (I've never actually hit a dog because yelling at them puts enough of the fear of death into them), and pick him up and gently put him down in the grass and wait until he peed.
Then, I'd be all love and kisses and "Good boy!" all over him and loved him like he was my only sunshine.
After just three times doing that, that was it. Now, that poor little guy will hold it for hours if he has to, but he will wait until he gets outside to let it rain.
Then what happens in the meantime after than is that the puppy will develop more of a sense of the house being his "home", and that reinforces his will to go "outside" rather than in his home.

Lastly, you need to be able to recognize the signs for when she has to go out. We have tied a cute little cow bell onto our back door so that when either one of our guys has to go, they'll nudge the bell with their snout.
Of course, this is all advice for "inside" dogs, and if you have decided that yours is to be an "outside" dog, then I may not be the guy to help.

HF
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Sep 09, 2008, 04:19 PM
Smoke gets in your eyes
Joined Apr 2007
191 Posts
And if she is peeing because she is excited about going inside,go outside for a few minutes with her using the word inside so she can get used to it and will go before she comes in.
2SMOKINBARRELS is offline Find More Posts by 2SMOKINBARRELS
Old Sep 09, 2008, 04:22 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,855 Posts
A pupply will excite easily. Little thing is so excited that they are going inside and everybody wants to play, they do just what we did when we were little, pee all over themselves. Some dogs, like two of our cockers, will wet themselves about anytime they see you after an absence. As they get older it gets better, then perhaps worse again when like us they cannot hold it any longer.
LcJ is online now Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Sep 09, 2008, 04:40 PM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2005
1,038 Posts
LcJ, cockers will wet themselves if you look in their general direction.....at least most of them will!
Twizter68 is offline Find More Posts by Twizter68
Old Sep 09, 2008, 05:11 PM
Colorado Front Range, USA, EARTH, Sol system, Milkyway Galaxy
Joined Nov 2001
2,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushmanLA

The dog has been living outside for the past week or two and EVERY time we let her inside to play the first thing she does is take a wizz on the carpet. Its like she's potty trained in reverse.

Any advice?
Trained many puppies this way....I have a 8 month old Chocolate Lab right now.

1. If they eat take them out to pee.
2. If they drink take them out to pee.
3. If they wake up take them out to pee.
4. If they haven't pee'ed in 15-30 minutes take them out to pee.
5. When they are young I take them to pee on a leash.
6. Kennel them at night and when you want a some rest, when you let them out take them out to pee.
7. When you let them in go outside first and wander around the yard with them to make sure they don't need to pee.
8. When they do pee outside make sure you are close and then praise them big time.
9. Don't praise them for wanting out....you are trying to train them to pee outside not ask to be out.
10. When they go outside either on your request or theirs go out with them and try and use a catch phrase to indicate to go to the bath room. For our lab this is "go potty". I usually try and say it while they are peeing and then give them big praise.
11. Sniffing around in my house (when they are young) results in a potty break.
12. Use a command to tell them they can come in. I use "wait" this tells the dog to wait until I give the release command before they come in. This becomes very useful when going through doors and such.
13. Don't be shocked if he/she seems to get it for a few days and then has an accident.
14. If they wake up in the middle of the night (and want out). Take them straight out of the kennel and outside. When they pee take them straight back inside and back in the kennel until you are ready to let them out in the morning. Wear a bathrobe because you may be chasing them around the yard.
15. Keep up this routine for at least a month....it takes 2 weeks for a dog to permanently "learn" something from when they understand it.
16. I keep my dogs kenneled (at night) longer than most. He has a 48"x32" kennel. It is in our bedroom....as he is a part of the family. My 8 month old lab is still kenneled at night and probably will be until at least 1-1.5 years old. But labs are puppies until they are at least 2.

My current lab had 6 inside pee's (4 in the first 48ish hours and then 2 later in the first week) before he got the idea and 0 poops.

He was 8 1/2 weeks old when we brought him home.

Hasn't had an accident inside since his 1st week in the house.

You should also practice this routine in the car (loosely)....if he/she takes car rides.

Of course I think he is the smartest dog on the planet.....because he his.

Oh and his name is "Random Chaos Generator" - Random for short.
The Other Dave is offline Find More Posts by The Other Dave
Last edited by The Other Dave; Sep 09, 2008 at 05:23 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2008, 05:24 PM
Colorado Front Range, USA, EARTH, Sol system, Milkyway Galaxy
Joined Nov 2001
2,356 Posts
Oh and when they pee outside wait until they are done to praise them....they get exited over the praise and forget what they are doing and stop peeing too soon.
The Other Dave is offline Find More Posts by The Other Dave
Old Sep 09, 2008, 07:03 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight
Those neglected animals are the ones who invariably suffer most of the psychological quirks, and that leads to even more neglect by the owners.
Are you kidding me? Letting your dog live free outside is neglect? Thats nutty man.

I think her problem is getting excited, as noted above I'll probably have to play with her for a bit outside and then bring her in. My plan today was to bring her in and give her a bath, feed her then let her pee outside.

She peed on the way to the tub.

I stopped her midstream and fussed at her to let her know I was displeased then kicked her outside.

A few mins later I tried again to feed her with the idea of letting her out as soon as she was done. She didn't want to eat so I played with her a bit and as soon as she got about 5 feet from me I saw her sniffing the carpet and managed to catch her again mid stream.

I guess it will just take a few days of this.
Old Sep 09, 2008, 07:17 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Last edited by Gerald; Dec 14, 2008 at 07:52 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2008, 07:27 PM
Lavishly Winged Dork
Miami, Fl
Joined Feb 2004
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushmanLA

I guess it will just take a few days of this.
It'll sink in...animals are pretty smart.

My ex-g/f brought home a cat (im not a big cat fan but they're ok). One time, out of sheer boredom, my buddy and I were discussing the difficulties of training a cat to do anything, so we made a bet. I told him that I, within 3 months, could train the cat to come to me, follow me, stay, sit and stand on its hind legs, all on command and ultimately without the assistance of any consumable persuasion.

Well, even to my surprise, it worked. He learned to do all the tricks mentioned above and some.

Ultimately I grew quite fond of the cat but my g/f left me. She said that I spent way too much time with him and felt that I looked for any excuse to avoid and ignore her.

It was worth it though, I won the bet.
JohnnyDeluxe is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyDeluxe
Old Sep 09, 2008, 07:37 PM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
448 Posts
Dave, could you summarize that into a shorter set of instructions.
Indiana_Geoff is online now Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Sep 09, 2008, 07:38 PM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
The dog should be in a crate (Kennel) anytime it's in the house not being supervised. Everytime you take her out of the crate bring her outside until she pees. If she pees in front of you in the house, dicipline, and put her outside. IMHO,dicipline requires a YELP as a response, anything less isn't going to get their attention. I use a carbon fiber rod, no HUGE pain, just a sting on their ASS. Many may disagree but my my method has worked for me with stubborn female American Bulldogs and Pitbulls. Males seem to like to go outside to mark their turf If the dog isn't being supervised and pees in the house with no concequences, nothing will be accomplished. It might take a few weeks or a month but it WILL work. Crating a dog isn't cruel. My wifes bulldogs prefer to sleep in their crates and they are never locked in them unless we are transporting them. It becomes their "space".
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Sep 09, 2008, 07:44 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Last edited by Gerald; Dec 14, 2008 at 07:52 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2008, 07:47 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald
That is quite cruel . Especially hitting a bulldog hard enough to make them yelp, they are known to take a lot of pain without showing it. I say somebody need to take that rod to you and make you yelp .

Training a dog does not require inflicting pain. If you actually care about your animals you need to take a class in proper animal training.

I hit my kids till she yelps, why not the dog.

BTW I didn't literally kick the dog out the house, my aim isn't that good. She bounced off the fridge and landed under the kitchen table. I picked her up and tosser her out after that.