HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old Sep 09, 2008, 03:03 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
fh64_lucky's Avatar
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,333 Posts
Trader Rating: 136
Discussion
Bid from a post here on E-Bay

I happen to bid on a plane,a guy posted in for sale add with link to E-Bay.I received 2 emails today,1 saying other high bidder cancelled,and I was now the high bidder.2nd email says auction was cancelled,but he re-listed it agian for same starting bid with no reserve agian....kind of steams a person who won,but doesnt get to buy it.Whats your thoughts on this?
I guess I just do not understand E-Bay that well yet,and better avoid the whole bidding game...
fh64_lucky is offline Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2008, 04:00 PM
Registered User
Ahsville (just south of Columbus), OH
Joined May 2007
586 Posts
Trader Rating: 139
Explanation

I am the person who the above member is referring to. I tried selling this Projeti on this forum some weeks ago without a bite. I then listed it on Ebay (ten day auction) and provided a link to a thread in the for sale section on RC Groups. In the listing on RC Groups (where the link to Ebay was provided), I clearly stated that I would sell it for a BUY IT NOW of $375, and I then went on to say that I would end the auction early after recieving the funds. Another form RC Groups (who I have sold numerous aircraft to), offered me $375 and I ended the auction once I received his funds via Paypal. The gentleman that retracted his bid on Ebay was the person I sold it to. I DID NOT RETRACT ANY BIDS!

I did not nothing that broke any rules/policies or that was unethical on this site or Ebay. My main objective was to get it sold...and I did just that. I CLEARLY STATED MY INTENT IN THE RC GROUPS LISTING.

I apologize for any inconvience this has caused any RC Group member. I have an excellent rating on this site and also on Ebay (over 2400 positive comments - Power Seller). As a fifth grade school teacher, ethical actions are something I try to teach every single day.

Again, for those members I have upset, I apologize.
bighank13 is offline Find More Posts by bighank13
Old Sep 09, 2008, 04:03 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
fh64_lucky's Avatar
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,333 Posts
Trader Rating: 136
Understand bighank,As I stated,I am new to bidding and E-Bay.You are OK in my book,I just did not understand and thought you deleated my bid.Its all good,and I will stay away from E-Bay...
fh64_lucky is offline Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2008, 04:06 PM
Registered User
Ahsville (just south of Columbus), OH
Joined May 2007
586 Posts
Trader Rating: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by fh64_lucky
I happen to bid on a plane,a guy posted in for sale add with link to E-Bay.I received 2 emails today,1 saying other high bidder cancelled,and I was now the high bidder.2nd email says auction was cancelled,but he re-listed it agian for same starting bid with no reserve agian....kind of steams a person who won,but doesnt get to buy it.Whats your thoughts on this?
I guess I just do not understand E-Bay that well yet,and better avoid the whole bidding game...

One additional point of clarification is that this auction had several days left and I simply canceled all bids before canceling the auction. My reason as listed on Ebay was that it was it was no longer for sale...which it wasn't. Fh64_lucky DID NOT WIN THE AUCTION from Ebay, and I HAVE NOT relisted it again.

I wish I would have been contacted via PM and I would have explained this. I just wanted to get the jet sold so I could finish paying for the paint job on my '76 Custom Hearse.
bighank13 is offline Find More Posts by bighank13
Old Sep 09, 2008, 04:48 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
mtdoramike's Avatar
USA, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Dec 2006
4,040 Posts
Trader Rating: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighank13
One additional point of clarification is that this auction had several days left and I simply canceled all bids before canceling the auction. My reason as listed on Ebay was that it was it was no longer for sale...which it wasn't. Fh64_lucky DID NOT WIN THE AUCTION from Ebay, and I HAVE NOT relisted it again.

I wish I would have been contacted via PM and I would have explained this. I just wanted to get the jet sold so I could finish paying for the paint job on my '76 Custom Hearse.
Wait a minute, hold the phone Nellie, you mean to say that "YOU CANCELLED BIDS TO END THE AUCTION EARLY" to sell to someone else who wasn't a bidder? Please tell me I'm misunderstanding you. If this is the case I sure wouldn't bid on any of your items if I saw you do something like that. It may not be unethical, but that would be questionable. Yes, Ebay may not have a specific rule on this issue, but I for one would "NEVER CANCEL AN AUCTION ONCE A BID IS PLACED" unless the item is lost, stolen, broken etc........But I guess thats just me.
mtdoramike is offline Find More Posts by mtdoramike
Old Sep 09, 2008, 04:54 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
fh64_lucky's Avatar
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,333 Posts
Trader Rating: 136
Well,that was kind of my point,there was not a "buy it now" sale.Just an ended auction,to a person on the side.I read my emails from E-Bay and got confused as to what happened... E-mails stated that high bidder cancelled and I was now the high bidder,and next Email says auction was cancelled.Like I said,I just need to stay away from E-Bay,as that kind of buying and selling is not for me...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=920005
fh64_lucky is offline Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by fh64_lucky; Sep 09, 2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2008, 05:02 PM
Retired USAF
cynjon's Avatar
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
Trader Rating: 177
And not to debate "eBay ethics" (an oxymoron in itself...) but ending the auction early effectively meant that you did not have to pay the eBay fees that would have been incurred if you had let the auction run its course or had a BIN available...I dislike eBay as much as the next guy but it still irks me when people try to circumvent the rules and fees that they have agreed to pay for the service eBay provides (things like listing items for a penny and charging $74 shipping on a $75 item...same thing in my book).
cynjon is offline Find More Posts by cynjon
Old Sep 09, 2008, 05:18 PM
Registered User
USA, WA, Edmonds
Joined Aug 2008
1,883 Posts
Trader Rating: 4
If there was no buy it now option on the ebay auction then I would be pissed if I had bid on the auction already and the seller stopped it early to sell it to someone else.

He may not have broken any rules since the item was "no longer for sale" but I consider it unethical because "no longer for sale" should be because the seller had a change of heart before the auction was over or something, NOT because it is sold to someone else.
bwalt822 is offline Find More Posts by bwalt822
Last edited by bwalt822; Sep 09, 2008 at 05:24 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2008, 05:24 PM
Registered User
Ahsville (just south of Columbus), OH
Joined May 2007
586 Posts
Trader Rating: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynjon
And not to debate "eBay ethics" (an oxymoron in itself...) but ending the auction early effectively meant that you did not have to pay the eBay fees that would have been incurred if you had let the auction run its course or had a BIN available...I dislike eBay as much as the next guy but it still irks me when people try to circumvent the rules and fees that they have agreed to pay for the service eBay provides (things like listing items for a penny and charging $74 shipping on a $75 item...same thing in my book).
Hey.

I actually did have a Buy It Now, but it disappeared when there was a bid. I can assure you I was not trying anything sneaky or trying to make any extra money...I just wanted to sell this jet. I tried selling it on RC Groups but no bites.

Again, I apologize to anyone I have offended as I really meant no harm.
bighank13 is offline Find More Posts by bighank13
Old Sep 09, 2008, 06:05 PM
Retired USAF
cynjon's Avatar
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
Trader Rating: 177
Yeah, I hate how the BIN disappears as soon as someone makes a $.01 bid...it's stupid. I think there is a way to keep the BIN for the duration of the auction (I've seen others do that) but I don't know how to do it.

Anyhow, it sounds like the deal went smoothly for both the seller and the buyer--that's what really matters. Thanks for taking the time to explain what happened!
cynjon is offline Find More Posts by cynjon
Old Sep 09, 2008, 06:08 PM
Registered User
Ahsville (just south of Columbus), OH
Joined May 2007
586 Posts
Trader Rating: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynjon
Yeah, I hate how the BIN disappears as soon as someone makes a $.01 bid...it's stupid. I think there is a way to keep the BIN for the duration of the auction (I've seen others do that) but I don't know how to do it.

Anyhow, it sounds like the deal went smoothly for both the seller and the buyer--that's what really matters. Thanks for taking the time to explain what happened!
I really appreciate that. I really was just trying to get something sold. I would never try and scam anybody here or on Ebay. I have read these discussion forums a lot and never really thought I would be involved in one. Lesson learned
bighank13 is offline Find More Posts by bighank13
Old Sep 09, 2008, 06:15 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
fh64_lucky's Avatar
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,333 Posts
Trader Rating: 136
I dont beleive you were being Dishonest bighank.Just some mis-understanding
about the sale.Glad the Projeti got a good home...Joe
Closing thread...
fh64_lucky is offline Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SLOPING Forum here on E-zone Vinnya42 Foamies (Kits) 2 Mar 19, 2002 05:22 PM
TWINJET with 480`s F/S on e-bay speedo Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Mar 01, 2002 03:12 PM
T-33 EDF F/S on E-BAY speedo Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Feb 13, 2002 09:45 PM
item on e-bay gliderdude Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Oct 25, 2001 09:23 PM