HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2008, 11:50 AM
Joined Sep 2008
1 Posts
Discussion
No clue - have inherited ic boat can't start it...

The Model engine has sc on one side of the barrel and 21 embossed on the other, any idea what make this engine is?

It has a flywheel, it comes with a 'v' belt and an 12v electric starter, i guess i understand roughly how to start it, but i have a few questions

1) am i to presume that the v belt is permanently in place? i.e. do i just push it out the way of the flywheel and shaft once started?
2) these engines are water cooled, there is a two tubes one each side of the cylinder head which dissappear inside the boat, i can see a tube emerging at the back just above and behind the propeller and one small pipe fitting on the side of the boat is this normal?
3) i've had to uncouple the uv joint connecting the engine to the prop shaft, i've attempted to start the motor but it just jumps straight off the flywheel is this just a case of perhaps getting a second pair of hands involved i.e. exerting more tension on the v belt or is there an easier way?

Any help would be much appreciated

cheers
Russell
Russellaga is offline Find More Posts by Russellaga
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2008, 04:59 PM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
673 Posts
The V belt usually sits in the hull somewhere out of the way of moving parts and exhaust heat. It is not in permanantly and can be taken out by taking the flex shaft out.

Water enters from the behind the propeller and goes in to the cooling head on one side and exits on the other side. The water then leaves the hull through an exit usually located at the side of the hull.

The starting method is a bit tricky to learn as there's many things going on. Constant pressure tightening the belt and pressing the starter button can be handled with one hand. The other hand should hold the hull so it stays put. The glow starter should be firmly clipped on to the glow plug while you are cranking the engine over.

Sometimes it helps with an additional person giving the engine throttle while starting. Usually what I do is push the throttle trim up to give it enough juice to start, once running I bring the trim back down.

When you get her started the hull must be literally thrown in so the water does not stall out the engine.

Post some photos. What type of hull is it?

Ryan
ryan_t888 is offline Find More Posts by ryan_t888