HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2001, 09:57 PM
Tork it or Dork it
Elizabethville,PA USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,198 Posts
Whats the climb rate of the Kyosho Stratus?

I am thinking about getting this glider. What is the climb rate of it. ( feet per minute) on a stock setup. Is there any better 2meter 550-600 gliders in this price range.
Ryan Nau is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Nau
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2001, 02:27 AM
Austin, Texas USA
Joined Mar 2001
848 Posts
I have a Stratus. It flies rather quickly and doesn't exactly hang up in the thermals. It is made fairly well, but I think that there would be better options for a "sailplane" that actually catches thermals.

Shawn
eflightpower.com
sf_247 is offline Find More Posts by sf_247
Old May 19, 2001, 09:00 AM
Wilmington Oh 45177
Joined Nov 1999
885 Posts
The climb rate sucks, it will suck most of the juice right out of your battery pack, just trying to get up high enough to thermal.
Your best bet is to get a gearbox and put a bigger prop on it, then you will get a good climb rate and you won't waste most of your battery trying to get to thermal height.
Regards,
Shelby

[This message has been edited by shelby (edited 05-19-2001).]
shelby is offline Find More Posts by shelby
Old May 19, 2001, 10:03 AM
Tork it or Dork it
Elizabethville,PA USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,198 Posts
Yous are talking about the polydiehedral wing glider, right. Thats the one I want. So the climb rate at full throttle isn't good on 7 and 8 cells with stock setup.
Ryan Nau is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Nau
Old May 19, 2001, 05:52 PM
San Diego, CA. USA
Joined Nov 2000
585 Posts
I have a unbuilt Dymond Crazee which is similar to the Kyosho Soarus (Stratus without polyhedral but with ailerons). It's supposed to be a pretty nice plane and I am working my way up to it. There is a review of it here on Ezone.
Balin is offline Find More Posts by Balin
Old May 19, 2001, 06:53 PM
Coimbra, Portugal
Joined Feb 2000
875 Posts
With the stock motor (mine came before the gearbox version arrived) and a 7 cell battery the climb rate is quite slow. You really need to be patient. The stall is waiting to happen.

Mine is the version with ailerons and wood structure wing. Very goog flying machine on the slope but very fragile.

The plastic fuselage in nearly impossible to repair ( and I can tell you this because it was my first R/C glider). Very warweary looking but still flying after 9 years!

Joćo
joao is offline Find More Posts by joao
Old May 19, 2001, 11:03 PM
Joined Aug 2000
2,536 Posts
Have a friend with a Soarus that does quite well in climb. It has shorter wings than the Status I think.

Balin - I have the Raven (Same as the Krazee but no rudder) Do a search for my posts about it. The advertised wing area is WRONG. It's much lower (390 sq). I'm running at 19 oz. per sq.' with a 7)1700 RC pack. Have to use 8)1400AE to get the weight down to actually soar and even then it's w/l is 17 or so. Thinking about adding a mid section to the wing

With a Magnetic Mayhem direct w/ Grupner CAM 8x4.5 folder, you'll get about 700 fpm climb at least with my Raven. Might be a good choice for the Stratus also? About 4-6 climbs to soaring alt. at about a 30 deg. angle.
hardlock is offline Find More Posts by hardlock
Old May 20, 2001, 12:41 AM
Austin, Texas USA
Joined Mar 2001
848 Posts
Right. Stock motor with 7 or 8 cells.

I have heard that a gearbox makes a big difference in the performance (as with any sailplane), but it is still a heavy plane for thermal hunting.

Shawn
sf_247 is offline Find More Posts by sf_247
Old May 25, 2001, 02:12 AM
Omnipote
Louisville, KY
Joined Apr 2001
665 Posts
Ryan,

My stock Soarus (Stratus's dihedral aileron cousin) climbed rather poorly and had very short run times. Once up it seemed to have a poor L/D and did not like to thermal.

I would highly recomend a lighter, geared drivetrain to replace the stock rig. I'm thinking about a 3:1 geared 05/480 on 7-8 800ARs. This will lighten the Stratus and provide more thrust so that it may be able to thermal.

Good Luck!

David
stone_axe is offline Find More Posts by stone_axe
Old Feb 17, 2002, 11:49 AM
Joined Feb 2002
13 Posts
gearing the stock motor

I am building the stock Soarus. I read in some other messages that the stock RS-550SH motor is a dog and, after reading a couple of messages in this thread, would like to gear the stock motor. I am new to electrics and know nothing about gearing a motor. Can the stock 550 motor be geared and still fit in the glider and if so, what gear should I buy? Or should I just use the 550 for a small lathe motor as one modeler suggested and purchase a better motor and gear setup?

I am also having some problems with the on/off esc (http://216.40.226.212/~admin2/forums...threadid=28922), any help here would be appreciated also.

Thanks,
Mike

A friend will help you move,
A good friend will help you move the body.
(heard that the other day and got a chuckle)
dbcooper is offline Find More Posts by dbcooper
Old Feb 17, 2002, 04:24 PM
Dale Lindsay
Mt Airy, Maryland, United States
Joined Sep 2001
653 Posts
dbcooper,

I can tell you from experience that the stock 550 setup was a dog. The statement "a stall waiting to happen" is exactly the truth.

I'm not sure about yours, but my Soarus came with a straight 550. There wasn't even mention of noise supression caps anywhere. If you don't have caps - go and buy some. When your battery starts to get low (right before BEC cutoff), the motor can generate enough noise to glitch the RX hard.

As for GB, I bought the Graupner 2.8:1. Although I'm not running that in the Soarus (which bit the dust hard), I am running it in a sailplane that's bigger than the Soaurs and I'm quite happy with the perfomance. I'm running a 12X10 prop. I'd also recommend you ditching the stock motor and getting the Magnetic Mayhem truck motor. Has lots of torque and isn't that expensive (maybe $20-ish).

As for thermaling, I had about two really good flights on it where I spec'd it out. Unfortunately the wing folded before I could go geared with that plane.
DaleM is offline Find More Posts by DaleM
Old Feb 17, 2002, 05:05 PM
Arlington,VA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,862 Posts
I have the soarus......think about upgrading the motor before you even fly it.

I have a speed-600 with a 2.8/1 graupner GP swinging a 12" prop. Others here have good luck with this combo, so I thought I would try it.

Also, my plane is quite sturdy. Many wrecks...some very hard. The fuse has bee repaired twice....but breaks (more like a rip with the tupper-ware plastic fuse) are easy to fix....the secret here is how it is done. Epoxy will not work....CA wont stick either. This is how I fixed it:
I scrape the damaged area with about 1" of over lap with coarse sandpaper. I then blob on some goop, and cover with a piece of heavy fiberglass. I swear this fix is stronger than the original material.
pullin-gs is offline Find More Posts by pullin-gs
Old Feb 17, 2002, 05:44 PM
Joined Feb 2002
13 Posts
I'm still building the Soarus and trying to deal with the esc problem, so I haven't got it in the air yet. I'm going to try the stock 550 but the Mayhem/gearbox upgrade sounds good.

Pullin-gs... did the gearbox fit into the plane alright? also, where is a good place to get Graupner products?

Thanks, these discussion groups have been a Godsend.

Mike
dbcooper is offline Find More Posts by dbcooper
Old Feb 17, 2002, 09:13 PM
Arlington,VA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,862 Posts
Gearbox fits fine (In-line)....www.hobby-lobby.com
Graupner makes it (2.8/1 ratio).
pullin-gs is offline Find More Posts by pullin-gs
Old Feb 17, 2002, 11:18 PM
Right here...
Joined Jan 2002
168 Posts
I am the one that "hardlock" mentioned. My Soarus "sports"(flat wing/w ailerons, span 70") has a Stontium 150 cobalt direct drive motor in it. Climbs are better than with the speed 600 that I took out, although the run times are lower(1800mah 7 cells).I agree with the others, the stock 550 direct drive is a dog. The speed 600 DD does better. The cobalt motor is a good $70.00 investment. This is my third Soarus! My first had the built up wing. Than Kyosho decided to go with the "OHS" wing construction. The early wood wing had full length ailerons and the airfoil was mush closer to the advertised SD3021. The second generation OHS wings have much less strength, although they look real cool and scale-like as they flex during positive and negative G maneuvers. I fly my Soarus way outside it's intended envelope and I have yet to blow a wing up. The biggest thing that I would suggest to anyone considering the Soarus "sports", is to put a servo in each wing for each aileron. The center-mounted servo setup that they have in the instructions sucks! My HS85s fit real nice in the wings and give me solid control. Overall, the Soarus is a godd buy at around $130.00. Actually, the Esprite models "Mefisto" looks to have the Soarus beat in today's market, as far as "bang for your buck" goes . I am going to order one and stuff my Aveox F12 and 10 cells in it. I presently have this setup in a Multiplex Kranich and it pulls it up quite well. The F12 should really make the Mefisto scoot!!!

Cheers,
Randy
Ex-Slimedriver is offline Find More Posts by Ex-Slimedriver