HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2008, 04:57 AM
Velika Drenova also Zemun, Belgrade, Serbia
Joined Nov 2007
134 Posts
Question
Good scale thermal glider in 2.5m range? Any?

Is there any good scale glider for thermaling? In a 100" range?
Like cmpro discus cs,ventus, or jamara dg 1000 2.6m...?
Actually, my question is are those mentioned silplanes usable for normal thermal flying, or they are just big chuck gliders?
Thanks!
Nikolash is offline Find More Posts by Nikolash
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2008, 05:41 PM
Are you serious?
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2005
433 Posts
I believe those smaller 2.6 dg, ash... actually thermal ok, I have the dg1000 and it fly's very nicely in light lift of the slope. The only issue you may run into it how to get it in the air. Youtube have some nasty video of guy "trying" to bungee them.
I have built in a tow release on mine but yet to test it out.

Any reason for the restriction on 2.5?
The saying goes, the bigger they are the better they fly, if you look around the 4meter mark you have a good selection, plus they launch better on a winch or aerotow.
Pop over to the Scale Glider section and have a look.

Good luck
M
Miraj is offline Find More Posts by Miraj
Old Sep 10, 2008, 03:00 AM
Velika Drenova also Zemun, Belgrade, Serbia
Joined Nov 2007
134 Posts
Thanks Miraj.

I know the bigger, the grather reynolds.., better it fly... etc but I'm limited with space, time and budget.
There are a lot, 2.5m-good looking-scalish, sailplanes with low price tag.
They are advertised as a thermal gliders, but i had doubts about it, so i've asked you sailplane guys.
I have, few kits with fiberglass fuses, from 2-3.6mtrs ws, but I have no time to complete them.
...About getting it airborne, i've planned to use bungee, or chainsaw winch, or aerotow in special occasions, preferably bungee.
I have question about bungee hooks which are mounted under the wings,(as you seen on youtube ) are there any issues like assymetric disengage, etc?
Nikolash is offline Find More Posts by Nikolash
Old Sep 10, 2008, 05:45 AM
delete account
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,875 Posts
Hi Nikolash, that all depends on the glider you choose; with the setting of the tow hook. Perhaps something less scale-like might be better at first?? there are plenty of fine, affordable sailplanes out there that give a slightly scale-like impression while being both affordable and size sensible, plus offering robust and stable performance than small scale gliders. How flexible are you willing to be?
Cheers,
Steve Mc
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve