HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2008, 05:34 PM
Old retired Electronics Fart
United States, OH, Centerburg
Joined Mar 2007
426 Posts
I've been playing around with the BasCom-AVR program and I can't get the
RS232 terminal connected my serial input ? the Terminal window is showing my GPS
message all the time. I was thinking that I should be able to connect my GPS to the
computer RS232. and have the Simulator work for the com1 port input. I can't get it working ?
any suggestions ?

Charles

I see that there is a lib file for mmc memory stick. Nice !

P.S. Sorry I found out what I was doing wrong
(USING THE WRONG TERMINAL , NEED TO USE UART0 ) within BasCom
You can delete this post if you wish.
Charles B is offline Find More Posts by Charles B
Last edited by Charles B; Sep 29, 2008 at 10:04 PM. Reason: I found out how to do the question I ask
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2008, 07:44 AM
Poland
Joined Sep 2004
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Beener
P.S. Sorry I found out what I was doing wrong with BasCom ...
That is OK . Most problems become from wrong connection - uC TX must go to RX of receiver and the same for uC RX and TX of receiver .
remzibi is offline Find More Posts by remzibi
Old Oct 04, 2008, 08:38 AM
United Kingdom, Bath
Joined Apr 2007
193 Posts
Hey guys,

I've being working on this off and on for the last week. I managed to get custom graphics working using someone else's code, which made my job much easier! (http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/...num=1220054359)

I've put together a demonstration video, showing off simple menus, animated graphics and so on:
OSD test (1 min 39 sec)

It may look a bit strange because I'm using my camera as video source, and it's got its own OSD.

remzibi, my current board doesn't have the in circuit programming pins, it's programmed through the serial ports with the help of the arduino bootloader, but if you are using the 168, I can also compile the code for you if you like!

Cheers,
-Z-
zitron is offline Find More Posts by zitron
Old Oct 05, 2008, 12:33 PM
Poland
Joined Sep 2004
837 Posts
The boards are ordered at last .
Meanwhile , using max232 interfeace prepared to play with GPS receiver (it have MTK chipset) and using miniGPS 141 I was able to configure the receiver for any baud rate (here 38400) , 5Hz fix update and 5Hz string update of GGA , MRC and VTG , GSA and GSV at 1Hz , pictures are there http://rc-cam.info/viewtopic.php?t=39&start=125 .
That small evill GPS receiver I start to like more than before .

There is also ready bootloader (flash and eeprom) for OSD unit - working great - any sotware update is possible very quick and very easy from any PC , as hardware can be used any COM interfeace (ex.max232) or COM emulation on USB hardware , using 34800 boud rate is only 3 seconds for mega16 programing - really greate , I was surprised of that (why I didn't tryed bootloaders before ?).

After configuration GPS receiver for warious speed I had opportunity to test OSD software - it is detecting and working exelent till 57600 baude rate and with any fixupdate frequency 1-5Hz - once more the theory meet the practice .

Finnaly I am waiting for boards and pray they have no errors in project , I checked them for possible errors dozen times - by is good to little pray .
Old Oct 05, 2008, 12:47 PM
Poland
Joined Sep 2004
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitron
....I've being working on this off and on for the last week. I managed to get custom graphics ....
Looks really nice , is good start for graphical capabilitys increase .

Quote:
..remzibi, my current board doesn't have the in circuit programming pins, it's programmed through the serial ports with the help of the arduino bootloader, but if you are using the 168, I can also compile the code for you if you like!
For compilation I must rewrite it anyway for M16 , however I was mentioned that if you have already hardware platform on 168 and you are able to program it (whatever by bootloader or other hardware - it is not so important) I will send you .hex file of my version of software - that only if you agree to test it on your platform and GPS receiver .
I am just interested if my algos of GPS detecting will work well on another units and also if algos I wrote for distance and bearing calculation will work OK for another half of world (N-S and W-E position) .
So if you may will so kind to test , I need to know your platform pin conections for OSD chip (suppose hardware SPI) , pin for CE signal of osd chip , pins for UART (suppose hardware UART) , there will also one pin for button for GND will need .
Old Oct 06, 2008, 04:01 PM
United Kingdom, Bath
Joined Apr 2007
193 Posts
Hey,

My GPS is a EM406a, it's 1Hz, but at 4800bps. Does your code automatically sense baud rate? If not you can send instructions to the GPS to changes its baud rate, but need to start at 4800.

How far on the other half of the world do you need? My location is 51N 2W.
zitron is offline Find More Posts by zitron
Old Oct 07, 2008, 04:25 AM
Poland
Joined Sep 2004
837 Posts
Quote:
.. Does your code automatically sense baud rate?.
Yes , exactly . This is the way of his work .

Quote:
.. How far on the other half of the world do you need? My location is 51N 2W.
It is absolutely good enough half of world . My is E , so W is OK .
Old Oct 18, 2008, 03:14 PM
Poland
Joined Sep 2004
837 Posts
Finally I have ordered boards , that how looks like almost assembled 3 units (still waiting for some missing parts including USB to PC connection ) .

Soft and bootloader is compiled now for 16MHz so 4 mips more counting power from early version 12MHz added , everything works great till now .
I hope that soon first tests in the air will be posssible , a lot beta testers are ready to do that already .
This units will help to choose proper values of parts what I think is important to get glitch free device at end .
Old Oct 19, 2008, 11:43 PM
Joined Feb 2008
9 Posts
Hi ,

Nice project and I am also waiting for this kind of project. Because I have no lot of money put in to hobby. So please add my name also in your beta testers list. (My GPS is EM406a)
And I would like to have it in fully assemble or kit format.

Thanks
lankaunicorn is offline Find More Posts by lankaunicorn
Old Oct 22, 2008, 05:00 AM
Poland
Joined Sep 2004
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lankaunicorn
... please add my name also in your beta testers list. (My GPS is EM406a)
Ok , you are in . When the first boards will ready I will write about .
That GPS I didnt tested but should work without problems , baudrate will autodetect .
Old Oct 23, 2008, 01:45 PM
Greece
Joined Feb 2007
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Beener
I've been playing around with the BasCom-AVR program and I can't get the
RS232 terminal connected my serial input ? the Terminal window is showing my GPS
message all the time. I was thinking that I should be able to connect my GPS to the
computer RS232. and have the Simulator work for the com1 port input. I can't get it working ?
any suggestions ?

Charles

I see that there is a lib file for mmc memory stick. Nice !

P.S. Sorry I found out what I was doing wrong
(USING THE WRONG TERMINAL , NEED TO USE UART0 ) within BasCom
You can delete this post if you wish.

Hi.

I'm trying to use the MAX7456 chip with Bascom, do you care to share your Bascom code ?
I'm trying to make a scale overlay for my backup camera
tolisn is offline Find More Posts by tolisn
Old Oct 24, 2008, 06:41 PM
Old retired Electronics Fart
United States, OH, Centerburg
Joined Mar 2007
426 Posts
I'm not using a Max7456 chip I'm using a Mega32 for my OSD. I have created my own control codes. There unlike the Max7456. See
http://www.mcselec.com/index2.php?op...hlight=max7456

This will help You.
Charles B is offline Find More Posts by Charles B
Old Oct 25, 2008, 02:10 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,960 Posts
Interested, but I am in Europe. If not a problem, put me on a list for the full version, with GPS.
And I am a good programmer too I can came in this project.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Oct 25, 2008, 08:43 PM
Poland
Joined Sep 2004
837 Posts
Yesterday I put first 3 units OSD modules to work . What I was surprised is picture quality much better then in prototype - probably in prototype cable lenght was playing role .
As GPS I find that one - 16x16mm with MTK chipset , working very nice .
It have not backup battery but geting fix very quicly .
Do not look at date - camera had reset .

As interfeace with PC all friends are talking about USB key - they doesnt want any com solution with max232 or similar - so finally I provide one .
It is universal USB-uart (TTL) bridge , working very well with any terminals and bootloaders - in fact should work also with other uPC OSD units but not for 34EUR(like blackstork) only less than half of that cost .
It is how it looks like :

The other hardware version a bit more expensive is also ready working with Vista (if anyone use that .....) , after some playing with PID and VID no drivers for Vista is needed - it instaling that USB bridge from windows update .

This USB key also can be connected with GPS modules for testing and configurating puroses , cooperate with visual GPS or miniGPS from MTK and other software very well till now .

Bootloader I choose MegaLoad - working as charm , takes only 512kb from memeory for reprograming flash and EEPROM - just compare with Arduino 2kb of memory fot the same job .

I had also questions why I choose atmel AVR for this project - it is really long talk about that - but I found this small video explaing in short my decision , it just for fun - don't take it too serious (don't want fight between PIC and AVR fans) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT4MbenQ3RE

As the units at last works - soon first test from air . I want to check how will they go with ESC glitches , and video TX in air practice .
Last edited by remzibi; Oct 30, 2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old Nov 01, 2008, 07:45 AM
Poland
Joined Sep 2004
837 Posts
I think the the primary goal is aquired , the cheap OSD unit hardware platform .
The hardware OSD platform for 120$ including OSD unit , GPS receiver (16x16mm) and USB key for connection to PC (software update , GPS checking and mny more usage ont only for this OSD) .
First sets are on the way for betatesters already . (price is counted in relation USD/EUR so can minimally flow)

This is the pictures how it looks like :

The future use pins are analog inputs pins of uPC and int0 . There are places for divider resistor if will needed , and one potentiometer .

All software for it can be dowloaded fom there :
http://rc-cam.info/viewtopic.php?t=131

bootloader .hex and PC software (it is free solution) and two versions of working OSD software . You can belive or not - but software for that device was wrote at begining in very short time - all rest time was taken by hardware part of device , now when the hardware is ready I hope can be back to software part , a long time for corrections forward .
If anyone want write his own software , schema is also there , any other bootloader can be also used .
If there will be any interest from english speaking peoples - I made english version - now most you guess from pictures only .

However - the cheapper price is also possible ,
- if you do not need GPS receiver - minus 25$ from price
- not need USB key - minus 6$
- if you have the samples of max7456 in drower (3-5psc) and if you send them to me (registerd letter) the price - minus 20$ .

- do you have electronic experience (advanced experience) and tools ? - you can have the printed board for 7$ and made the device by your self

For admin - if that message with prices ect. are not allowed here - please before delete let me know - I will edit that post .

If anyone interested , feel free to write me at PM if any questions .
Last edited by remzibi; Nov 01, 2008 at 12:06 PM.