HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2008, 01:40 PM
Suspended Account
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2004
2,083 Posts
Discussion
BVM Electra Maiden Video

I have submitted the last installment of the build article so I think it's ok to show the maiden video.

Fan -- Aeronaut TF4000
Motor -- Neu 1527 1.5Y
ESC -- CC 110HV
Batteries -- 12S EVO 30 6400 mAh
Amp -- 100
Watts -- 4500
Weight -- 16 pounds

In the video you will hear the camera man say he heard flutter. What he heard was the front nose gear door/speed brake. The spring slide down the oleo and did not let the nose gear retract all the way and it was so the door was flapping in the wind.

Full throttle was only used on take off and on the down wind side right after take off. During the up wind turn the throttle was backed off to half and then backed off to 1/3. On the last up wind pass 3/4 throttle was used briefly.

As you can see in the video, she was building up plenty of speed in the take off run and climb out. You can also see on the first up wind turn she was moving out pretty good and that is with the speed brake and nose gear hanging out in the wind. I don't think the smaller fans with the same amount of watts can come close to the power of the TF4000.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post10508322

Kirk
k_sonn is offline Find More Posts by k_sonn
Last edited by k_sonn; Sep 08, 2008 at 02:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2008, 02:02 PM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,630 Posts
Very nice kirk. She goes like stink.
Any mods to the ducting to get it to mate with the TF4000?

Boy - You must be able to fly all day on 64,000 mAh's! So.........the plane must weigh like, 2 lbs?!
skyhawk is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk
Old Sep 08, 2008, 02:05 PM
Suspended Account
Braintree, Essex
Joined Mar 2006
3,184 Posts
That low sun and a fast shiny small black shadow, was it as bad as it looked on the video I have problems flying in conditions like that. Its obvious that you dont
Whistling Watts is offline Find More Posts by Whistling Watts
Old Sep 08, 2008, 02:06 PM
Suspended Account
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2004
2,083 Posts
Thanks Skyhawk. Good catch. I fixed the mAh to 6400. No mods need to the intake ducting for the TF4000. She was pretty fast. Once the batteries were broken in she was even faster and she would go out of sight on the verticles.

The Electra weighed 16 pounds with batteries. This is the same setup that will go into the Starfire but the Starfire should weigh less.

Kirk
Last edited by k_sonn; Sep 08, 2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2008, 02:10 PM
Suspended Account
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2004
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistling Watts
That low sun and a fast shiny small black shadow, was it as bad as it looked on the video I have problems flying in conditions like that. Its obvious that you dont
The maiden took place on the Saturday afternoon of the Jets Over Whidbey flyin. It was about 5:30 PM and unfortunately at that time of day the sun is in your face. I was wearing sun glasses and had my cap pulled down as low as it would go and I tried to keep the Electra low and under the sun, except on that first pass.

Kirk
Old Sep 08, 2008, 02:14 PM
Flying Fatboy
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2003
1,297 Posts
Kirk,

Very nice, really zips along. Looks like a nice flying site also.

Regards, Bill
Gordito Volador is offline Find More Posts by Gordito Volador
Old Sep 08, 2008, 02:34 PM
Suspended Account
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2004
2,083 Posts
Thanks Bill. We have the privilege of being able to fly at the NAS Widbey Out Lying Field. This field is used by the Navy to practice carrier landings. In fact, the Jets Over Whidbey flyin was scheduled for three days (Friday thru Sunday) and had the base commanders approval but the wing commander did not get the memo so he scheduled carrier landing practice on the Friday. Needless to say, we were booted from the field while the landing operations were going on so we parked on the side of the road and watched the EA-6 Prowlers practice carrier landings for most of the day. Man are they loud. Here's a short video I too of a wave off and a simulated arrested landing:

http://rcuvideos.com/video/EA-6-wmv

Kirk
Last edited by k_sonn; Sep 08, 2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2008, 02:51 PM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,047 Posts
Bill when do you arrive for E-Jets???!
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Sep 08, 2008, 04:25 PM
Flying Fatboy
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2003
1,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Belluomini
Bill when do you arrive for E-Jets???!
Bob,

I really wish that I could make it. I know that it's going to be an overdose of fun. Don't forget that you are welcome to hang out with me and Hoser in the tent at the FIJR.

Regards, Bill
Gordito Volador is offline Find More Posts by Gordito Volador