SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by CarreraGTSCS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 08, 2008, 09:19 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,130 Posts
Discussion
Flight Log: SAPAC Jas-39 Gripen

Flight 1: Aborted. Veered sharply right into the grass and damaged the nose gear. Nose gear disengaged.

Flight 2: Free castoring nose wheel. Veered slightly left, launched off of grass edge of ballfield. Approx 3 minutes of flawless flight. Landing gear wire very weak. Lipo charge-- pack#1 took 1.223 amps, pack #2 took 1.213 amps, both down to 3.8+ volts per cell.
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2009, 12:13 PM
Just Plane Nuts
USA, NC, Southern Pines
Joined Dec 2008
415 Posts
JAS-39 questions

Mike - thanks for all of your posts on the SAPAC JAS-39, they has been very helpfull to me. I am into this build and have a few questions -
1. What glue did you use for the foam parts?
2. What paints did you find that worked OK on the foam surfaces (I have seen Testors, Krylon H2O, acrylics, enamels, others).
I am building without gear, may make a bungie launcher, since I only have grass fields.
Thanks, Louie
Louierc is offline Find More Posts by Louierc
Old Jan 24, 2009, 12:20 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,130 Posts
I used GWS glue (a contact adhesive) on all parts except for the wings. To attach the wings I used polyurethane glue. I don't remember if I used the Gorilla brand or Elmers brand.

I haven't completed painting it but I used craft store acrylic paints which are water soluble (sp?). Look for the SAPAC Eurofighter thread. In the last 10 pages or so I mention the color, brand and mix of black to get the SAPAC grey.

I use a takeoff dolly instead of a bungee. If you're going to belly land you must do something to protect and reinforce the lower edge of the intakes. Even grass will damage the soft foam. I had a spare length of carbon tube that was split to make a leading edge for the intake.

Hope this helps.

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Closed Thread