HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2008, 02:21 AM
Joined Sep 2008
47 Posts
Discussion
whats the best FPV camera system!

Can somone give me suggestions about what the best FPV camera ststem setup is..,,,.what equipment i need......meeting my requirements below.....

1-very good picture quality and good adjustment too light

2-and very long range-or what equipment do i need to make it long range?
shor171ty is offline Find More Posts by shor171ty
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2008, 02:49 AM
Baltic States
Joined Jun 2008
474 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=003

1-very good picture quality and good adjustment too light
kestasxxx is offline Find More Posts by kestasxxx
Old Sep 08, 2008, 03:10 AM
Danmark, Hovedstaden, Ballerup
Joined May 2007
3,217 Posts
to answer 1, you need to set a max price, so the ansver can be find to suit your money.

to answer 2, we need to know what you define as long range ?
any range can be solved, just a matter of money put into it !
and range you mean both video link and RC ?
or if you want to use stock RC equipment ? we talk about another range,
that can also be defined.
thomasscherrer is offline Find More Posts by thomasscherrer
Old Sep 08, 2008, 03:39 AM
United Kingdom, England, Derby
Joined May 2007
439 Posts
different cameras for different usage...
some of them are higher resolution, some of them can see in darker conditions/night.

kx131 is basic, but good enough. especially if you're beginning: you don't want to put a $500+ camera on your first flights...

kx191 is the next one that come to mind. a bit heavier and bulkier...
jbourdon is offline Find More Posts by jbourdon
Old Sep 08, 2008, 04:11 AM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,970 Posts
RCV922 is the one I prefer
VRflyer is offline Find More Posts by VRflyer
Old Sep 08, 2008, 02:05 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,118 Posts
i will suggest SN480, image is quite sharp and nice colors,
wallaguest1 is offline Find More Posts by wallaguest1
Old Sep 08, 2008, 02:27 PM
Joined Sep 2008
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasscherrer
to answer 1, you need to set a max price, so the ansver can be find to suit your money.

to answer 2, we need to know what you define as long range ?
any range can be solved, just a matter of money put into it !
and range you mean both video link and RC ?
or if you want to use stock RC equipment ? we talk about another range,
that can also be defined.
let me clarify some of this so you can give me a better idea......

For a price range i am willing to spend around or up to $300 for all the camera equipment together...unless you find something that is worth the extra money.....

and yes, by range I want to increase the RC and the video link range, but unfortunatley where i live(the U.S.) alot of things are banned so I need a system that is actually able to be aquired here......

having all that been said my final results from this camera system should be at least a 3km range or around there for both the video and RC link.....

Eventually I want to upgrade it to a pan/tilt setup for an added amusement and eventually upgarade it to the onscreen OSD from the RangeVideo website.....so the camera system setup should also be compatible with that too.......

This might be hard to include all this in a camera system for the U.S.......but any suggestions or refereils to serate pieces of equipment that can achieve all this or if theres something like this for more money please let me know........ALL YOUR HELP IS APPRECIATED THANKYOU!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 09, 2008, 02:08 AM
Danmark, Hovedstaden, Ballerup
Joined May 2007
3,217 Posts
>For a price range i am willing to spend around or up to $300 for all the
>camera equipment together...unless you find something that is worth
>the extra money

well look at your local dealer rangevideo for one example
he sell video links and cams that will match your money.

>and yes, by range I want to increase the RC and the video link range,
>but unfortunatley where i live(the U.S.) alot of things are banned so
>I need a system that is actually able to be aquired here.

if you need to fly long range, say over 1km with out special receiver and special large ground station antennas, you need to go a bit illegal on the TX power, specially on the video power

>having all that been said my final results from this camera system should be
>at least a 3km range or around there for both the video and RC link..

Any 2.4Ghz 500mW or 900Mhz 500mW system should with a patch antenna on the receiver be able to get you a good picture from 3km

Normal RC equipment have been seen used to 3km,
but the margin to failure is low , so I say it is not safe to over 1km
for that you can see my long range RC page.

>Eventually I want to upgrade it to a pan/tilt setup for an added amusement
>and eventually upgarade it to the onscreen OSD from the RangeVideo

good idea, do that later when you have a good working cam and got the video and rc range you need.

>so the camera system setup should also be compatible with that too..

they will be, no problem, you can always connect any OSD system to any cam-video tx system, you need to know how to cut and solder a few wires,
and to be able to read manuals and even simple how-to-connect schematics.
thomasscherrer is offline Find More Posts by thomasscherrer
Old Sep 09, 2008, 02:52 AM
Joined Sep 2008
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasscherrer
>For a price range i am willing to spend around or up to $300 for all the
>camera equipment together...unless you find something that is worth
>the extra money

well look at your local dealer rangevideo for one example
he sell video links and cams that will match your money.

>and yes, by range I want to increase the RC and the video link range,
>but unfortunatley where i live(the U.S.) alot of things are banned so
>I need a system that is actually able to be aquired here.

if you need to fly long range, say over 1km with out special receiver and special large ground station antennas, you need to go a bit illegal on the TX power, specially on the video power

>having all that been said my final results from this camera system should be
>at least a 3km range or around there for both the video and RC link..

Any 2.4Ghz 500mW or 900Mhz 500mW system should with a patch antenna on the receiver be able to get you a good picture from 3km

Normal RC equipment have been seen used to 3km,
but the margin to failure is low , so I say it is not safe to over 1km
for that you can see my long range RC page.

>Eventually I want to upgrade it to a pan/tilt setup for an added amusement
>and eventually upgarade it to the onscreen OSD from the RangeVideo

good idea, do that later when you have a good working cam and got the video and rc range you need.

>so the camera system setup should also be compatible with that too..

they will be, no problem, you can always connect any OSD system to any cam-video tx system, you need to know how to cut and solder a few wires,
and to be able to read manuals and even simple how-to-connect schematics.
Thankyou ,,,,,,this helped alot......but I dont think I have a local RangeVideo dealer? I Live in boca raton Florida and I dont know of any dealers that could suit my needs....although i probobly need not worry, i found a good website that can accomadate me......

So video range isnt an issue anymore.......

Now i need to get the RC link to go as far as the video link (3k).........(illegaly)

This is where yoou come in.......any ideas or suggestions for this?

If you don't want to reply over the forum...you can email me at:

shor171ty040693sportsman@yahoo.com

p.s. i proboly will sometime in the future message about how to setup the OSD system and pan/tilt.....if you dont mind.......cuz u no what your doing...
Old Nov 25, 2009, 12:11 PM
Sunrise, Florida
Joined Nov 2009
24 Posts
A little help

Quote:
Originally Posted by shor171ty View Post
Thankyou ,,,,,,this helped alot......but I dont think I have a local RangeVideo dealer? I Live in boca raton Florida and I dont know of any dealers that could suit my needs....although i probobly need not worry, i found a good website that can accomadate me......

So video range isnt an issue anymore.......

Now i need to get the RC link to go as far as the video link (3k).........(illegaly)

This is where yoou come in.......any ideas or suggestions for this?

If you don't want to reply over the forum...you can email me at:

shor171ty040693sportsman@yahoo.com

p.s. i proboly will sometime in the future message about how to setup the OSD system and pan/tilt.....if you dont mind.......cuz u no what your doing...
Rangevideo.com is located out of Miami. Also try hobbywireless.com Nghobbies.com (out of canada I think but good service and reasonable shipping)

I've used camera's from local venders (out of sunrise florida) and from these sites. Best bang for the buck (day or night flying) is the KX-191 (rangevideo) or my favorite sn555 (look for vpn-500 series online from ccd dealers its made by kp&c and if you do a little comparison of the specs you can get the same cam for 40+ less) SN555 is sold by hobbywireless. Transmitters 900Mhz is what I use 500mw from range video until I found a company called Dpcav.com, they have a great transmitter (a little more expensive) that has built in filters along with an antenna filter which will be needed in the future when you get into OSD's/GPS Etc. It he 900 pro series and I love it! The company is also extremely reliable, fast shipping, very helpful, I highly recommend these guy's.
900 mhz receivers from range video are 55.00 I think (rangevideo) buy a 8dbi patch antenna for your 3km range (much further possible but RC link is going to be your problem) Later on you can buy a second and the Oracle Diversity controller which will allow you to use two antenna and two video rx for better coverage and less drops. If you want 3km range I HIGHLY suggest Thomas Scherrer's LRS UHF system. It is worth every penny and I refuse to fly with anything else. I can't stress this enough. Your going to spend over 800.00 on your initial system (I assume) and your going to have fun, If your like me, you'll get your video system figured out pretty easily and you'll accidently fly outside your rc range, then you'll watch in HORROR as all that time and money goes crashing to the ground because your 72Mhz or especially 2.4Ghz rc gear lets you down. Save yourself the time, money and pain and get his system. Now technically speaking it is illegal to operate without a Ham License (so apply or do what the rest of us do which is keep your mouth shut and those 5km flights over the town center mall off the internet!!!) No youtube, No vimeo, not even your facebook page. You'll be fine, and safer to fly with this gear anyways. All this being said PLEASE be careful!!!! PM me when your setup and I'll give you some safe (unpopulated) places to fly. I fly all the time so if you get stuck on something let me know and I'd be glad to give you a hand either over the phone or in person if you drive down south. I've made every mistake you can make, flown every piece of FPV gear available (almost) and crashed tested almost everything. Just remember to stay away from populated areas!!! This is extremely important if we want to keep our flying "Under the Radar".
t_low37 is offline Find More Posts by t_low37
Old Nov 25, 2009, 03:55 PM
United States, IN, Carmel
Joined Jan 2008
2,558 Posts
t_low37,

you do realize this is a 15 month old thread, don't you?

D
Dimitris76 is offline Find More Posts by Dimitris76
Old Nov 25, 2009, 07:46 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,031 Posts
never to late to be carefull
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder
Old Nov 25, 2009, 07:55 PM
San Diego
Joined Nov 2002
606 Posts

LETS NOT DIG UP THE PAST.......
SoMoney is offline Find More Posts by SoMoney
Old Dec 03, 2009, 01:11 AM
Sunrise, Florida
Joined Nov 2009
24 Posts
Uhhhh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoMoney View Post

LETS NOT DIG UP THE PAST.......
Uhhh....Yeah....uh....I uh.... I type REAL Slow!
t_low37 is offline Find More Posts by t_low37
Old Dec 06, 2009, 05:06 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1 Posts
Thomas Scherrer's LRS UHF system

t_low37

I am an amatuer radio operater with a general class license. N0WOW. Where can I get Thomas Scherrer's LRS UHF system?

And "Dimitris76" it is good that this thread is still alive and well. Myself, like others out there, are still needing this information. Thanks for your concern though. I do understand.
jkjkiefer is offline Find More Posts by jkjkiefer