Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 07, 2008, 11:36 PM
Keizer Oregon
Joined Jan 2008
75 Posts
Discussion
Midwest Fantail Launch photos and question

I have had my Midwest Fantail Launch done for few months now but hadn't taken any photos of it so I thought I would share. I also have a quick question, I seem to have the engine running pretty good now, goes for about 20min or so, but I have to keep oiling the valve surface every few minutes to keep it running smoothly, could I add a few drops of oil to the water to help keep things lubricated, I was thinking olive oil as it is nicer to the lake that it would be exhausted into. Here are the photos.

ohm116 is offline Find More Posts by ohm116
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2008, 01:33 AM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Dec 2005
1,227 Posts
Nice job on the steam boat, check out this thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475833

If you have any questions please ask.

Steve
steveciambrone is offline Find More Posts by steveciambrone
Old Sep 08, 2008, 02:28 AM
Keizer Oregon
Joined Jan 2008
75 Posts
Excellent thanks, I well look into making a displacement lubricator, how does a 1/2" diameter copper tube with caps on both ends about 1" long or so sound and a tee made out of 1/8" brass tube for the connection to the steam line? Can the steam line go perpendicularly to the oil tank body? Also for the fill on top could one just plug it with a rubber stopper or would it be under too much pressure for that. Or does it work better if gravity is helping it. I have a perfect empty dope bottle for the condenser tank.

Again thanks for your help.
Old Sep 08, 2008, 10:17 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,377 Posts
The steam line can go in perpendicular, up near the top of the tank (you are not supposed to fill the tank with oil higher than the steam line, though it has been done). The steam line can be "dead end" or "flow-through" wrt the oil tank. That is, the tank could be serviced via a T fitting from the steam line, or you could stick the steam line in one side, and have an exit steam line on the other side of the tank. The easiest way to make a flow-through would be to use one continuous tube through the oil tank, with a tiny hole in the tube in the middle of the oil tank; I think the hole should be horizontal, but am not sure. My Accucraft locos have the flow-through design, with the tube filed away, instead of a tiny hole. They eat oil much faster than necessary, so I have to replenish the oil tank more often than convenient. The oil need only be a mist in the cylinder, not a dollop, like the Accucraft provides.

A rubber stopper would not be a good idea. The oil tank is subjected to the same pressures as the boiler, so the stopper would probably blow out. Once it blew, you'd be dead in the water as all the steam would exit thru the top of the oil tank, none reaching the cylinder. Also it'd probably make an oily mess :-). If you are enamored by the rubber stopper idea, then put a keeper on the stopper, like you see on Grosch beer bottles, or like you see on champaign bottles.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Sep 08, 2008, 11:01 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,803 Posts
Xlnt job on the boat build!!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Sep 09, 2008, 05:46 PM
gamma
milano_Italy
Joined Aug 2008
100 Posts
Hi Ohm, I like your little boat very much and I'm going to check Midwest site right now, thank you for sharing and keep your pics coming.
sergio_Italy is offline Find More Posts by sergio_Italy
Old Sep 09, 2008, 07:09 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,227 Posts
some pics of Lubricators and condensate tanks.

Steve
Old Sep 09, 2008, 11:57 PM
Keizer Oregon
Joined Jan 2008
75 Posts
Great thanks for the info, it should not be hard to produce something then. Me and my Dad took the boat out briefly yesterday and tested it and it was a good thing that we had tied a fishing line too it as the wind picked up and it soon became impossible to get it to come back to shore and the steam engine stopped once due to lack of lubrication so I think this oilier well be a major improvement for it. As for the cap I am thinking I could even use a copper end cap and cut an L shaped slot into it to go over the steam line and lock it down, I well have to see what I can come up with.

P.S. Thanks Steve, Kmot and Sergio for the comments, this was my first boat, I have done a lot of RC and CL Planes and I have quite a few hobbies so this was a nice change of direction, that and I have wanted one ever since I saw one at the hobby shop when I was a kid I am really looking hard at the liberty tug and wondering if I can justify it enough to get out my credit card to pay for it, give me time and I am sure I well find a way I would probably go electric on it though.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 07:57 AM
gamma
milano_Italy
Joined Aug 2008
100 Posts
take all the time you need Ohm, i'll wait and welcome on board!
ciao
sergio_Italy is offline Find More Posts by sergio_Italy
Old Sep 11, 2008, 10:23 PM
Keizer Oregon
Joined Jan 2008
75 Posts
Well I think I have the oilier figured out, it is a 1-1/2" long piece of 1/2" copper tubing with a cap soldered to one end and an 1/8" diameter copper tube with a slit filed into it going through it for the steam line. The top cap well be held on with a piece of music wire bent over the steam line. Here is some photos:

Old Sep 12, 2008, 12:54 AM
Joined Dec 2005
1,227 Posts
You will need a seal in the cap so there will be no steam leakage.

Steve
Old Sep 12, 2008, 04:31 PM
Keizer Oregon
Joined Jan 2008
75 Posts
It seems a pretty good fit, if not I well toss an o-ring it there to seal it up.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 06:01 PM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,541 Posts
Fill it with water and turn it over. If water leaks out, which it will, so will steam which is under pressure. That's why pipes are soldered and not just pushed together.
420TEE is offline Find More Posts by 420TEE
Old Sep 13, 2008, 08:40 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,377 Posts
Perhaps you could use a rubber stopper under the brass cap. The stopper would seal against steam leakage, and the cap & wire bale would keep the stopper from blowing out. The cap would have to fit snuggly over the top of the stopper to keep the stopper from lifting, naturally.

I question whether your ship stopped due to lack of cylinder oil. I would suspect low steam pressure is a more likely cause. You did not run out of water did you, that would be another cause of stoppage?. When the cylinder&piston have no oil, they still function, but some of the power is absorbed by friction between the piston and the cylinder walls. The steam, condensed to water droplets on the cool cylinder walls, provides some lubrication, even w/o oil. A well-oiled piston may decrease friction so much that run times double, so it's worth making the displacement lubricator; I think you will be pleased with the result :-).

btw, you have to suck out the water from the bottom of the lubricator after every run (and top up the steam oil). I use hypodermics I got from the farm animal feed store (check the medications section): one to suck out the water, and another one to add the oil. I ground off the sharp ends of the needles by rubbing them on a stone in the yard, cleaning the needles throughly afterwards.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Sep 16, 2008, 01:28 AM
Keizer Oregon
Joined Jan 2008
75 Posts
That's an idea, with the stopper, I also have some rubber sheet that I could cut into a seal to go into the top of the cap as well, either way I'm sure well work, just need to get time to do it