HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2008, 11:50 PM
Arlington,Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
Question
Ways to strengthen Dollar Tree foamboard.

I have a quick question I built a Ugly Stick (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=228) and I used the Dollar Tree foamboard. Somewhere I read that is is about 4.5 mm thick as opposed to 6 mm Depron. When I'm fly the Ugly Stick I can tell the control surfaces are fluttering a bit at speed. Going slow it's ok but when I crank oen the throttle I can tell the ailerons may be fluttering. So would it be wise to add a strip of stapping tape to the top and bottom of each control surface or just build some new ones from FFF or maybe laminate another piece of rediboard.

Thank for any suggestions.
bass3587 is offline Find More Posts by bass3587
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2008, 12:19 AM
mel gibson?
Joined Apr 2008
197 Posts
id take some small carbon rod and use strapping tape to attach them to the the leading, and trailing edge of each surface. i just bought some dollar tree board, did you strip the paper off or is it good to go?
HPIAdam is offline Find More Posts by HPIAdam
Old Sep 08, 2008, 12:51 AM
Arlington,Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
I stripped it, but now you got me thinking of just leaving the paper on. Would be a lot stiffer.
bass3587 is offline Find More Posts by bass3587
Old Sep 08, 2008, 11:31 AM
Joined Oct 2004
450 Posts
I usually leave it on as it is a lot lighter than the paper on most foamboards.

If you stripped the paper on your ailerons also, you could always try cutting some new ones with the paper on and see if it made a difference. I bet it would.
Adam
adamdb is offline Find More Posts by adamdb
Old Sep 08, 2008, 11:55 AM
GO FAST OR GO HOME!!!!!!!
Joined May 2007
575 Posts
bass3587 i build lots of planes out of foambord and i have never had a problem with the speed and the control surfaces fluttering. and foambord its 6mm thick.
$$J3ft$$ is offline Find More Posts by $$J3ft$$
Old Sep 08, 2008, 12:55 PM
Orlando, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
317 Posts
I just bought a bunch of the Dollar Tree Ready Board after reading about it on another thread. I was going to take the paper off but if you guys think it would be fine with the paper on I'm good with that! Less work!

I'm wondering what kind of planes have been built with this stuff and with the paper left on. Any feed back would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Evelys
ediaz is offline Find More Posts by ediaz
Old Sep 08, 2008, 01:04 PM
"It's a Quad" :O
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
Take the paper off with the methods listed in various threads. Use Bamboo skewers on the leading edges of the wings and as a spar in the center of the wing perpendicular to the fuse.

The weight of the paper on is not worth the strength you get. Don't build the plane to crash just make it strong enough no to flex too much in flight.

Plus the lighter the airframe the less damage there is if you do not keep air between the plane and the ground.
thewz is offline Find More Posts by thewz
Old Sep 08, 2008, 01:32 PM
Joined May 2007
575 Posts
i have built a f-117 and a bellx-1 a f-18 and alot more.
Old Sep 08, 2008, 01:33 PM
Joined May 2007
575 Posts
long time no talk thewz. lol
Old Sep 08, 2008, 01:50 PM
Mableton, GA USA
Joined Nov 2005
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by $$J3ft$$
bass3587 i build lots of planes out of foambord and i have never had a problem with the speed and the control surfaces fluttering. and foambord its 6mm thick.
Not sure what kind of foamboard you are using, but the stuff that bass3587 is using is more like 4.5mm thick. It's very flimsy with the paper removed when compared to depron or even the blue fff.

My suggestion would be to leave the paper on the control surfaces and give that a try first. I've resorted to fiberglassing my control surfaces using .75 oz cloth and WBPU and that worked great.
turt1e_b is offline Find More Posts by turt1e_b
Old Sep 08, 2008, 01:53 PM
Joined May 2007
575 Posts
turtle b im use the stuff for like school projects and crafts and things.
Old Sep 08, 2008, 02:07 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,749 Posts
Tip Vortex likely culprit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass3587
I have a quick question I built a Ugly Stick (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=228) and I used the Dollar Tree foamboard. Somewhere I read that is is about 4.5 mm thick as opposed to 6 mm Depron. When I'm fly the Ugly Stick I can tell the control surfaces are fluttering a bit at speed. Going slow it's ok but when I crank oen the throttle I can tell the ailerons may be fluttering. So would it be wise to add a strip of stapping tape to the top and bottom of each control surface or just build some new ones from FFF or maybe laminate another piece of rediboard.

Thank for any suggestions.
Bass3587,

Aileron flutter is usually caused by wingtip vortex. You could stiffen the aileron and that might work. Another option is to trim the tip of the aileron on an angle. That reduces the area available for tip vortex to work against. This has always worked for me. Also if you capture the end of the aileron with the wingtip that will totally eliminate tip vortex problems.

Yes Dollar Tree foam board (Readiboard) is 4.5 -4.75mm thick.

See attachment.

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Sep 08, 2008, 02:07 PM
"It's a Quad" :O
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by $$J3ft$$
long time no talk thewz. lol
I've been here......
thewz is offline Find More Posts by thewz
Old Sep 08, 2008, 03:33 PM
Joined May 2007
575 Posts
lol me too
Old Sep 08, 2008, 05:14 PM
mel gibson?
Joined Apr 2008
197 Posts
i might leave the paper on. its really really light, like the elmers board after you strip it.

i noticed that ALL of the foam they have there is severely warped. any ideas on how to get the warps out?
HPIAdam is offline Find More Posts by HPIAdam