SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 07, 2008, 07:35 AM
kalteisen.com
Omaha, NE
Joined Aug 2003
2,584 Posts
Discussion
Kalteisen Katana Foamy with CNC cut airfoil wing.

Here's the next foamy from me.

RTF Weight: 13-15oz
Motor: Emax 2210 (ValueHobby)
ESC: 18 amp
Length: 36
Span: 35.5
RTF Weight: 13oz-16oz. I'm at 14.
Battery: 3cell 1000-1320
Servos: 4 9 gram servos. I'm using GWS Naros.

I'm flying mine on an Emax 2210. It can handle the 2215 easily, too. That means you can easily take a Skeeter setup (Torque 30T/980, AXI 2208/34) and put it on this plane, or use a Skeeter 36 (Spaz Cap) setup (Torque 20T/1030, AXI 2212/26, Hacker 20/20L).

Again, CNC cut EPS wing skinned with Mylar. Fuse is 6mil Depron. Self adhesive decal sheets (3) included in both the white and yellow versions.

At the risk of killing Skeeter sales, I have to say I've have not had this much fun in a LONG time. All I fly is the SU-26 and this Katana. This Katana is just too cool in the air. She just looks so mean flying by. The Katana has a thinner airfoil than the SU, and the tail moment is longer. It will fly a line, and if you have the linkages setup right, she will fly FAST without hunting around. It also slows down to a walking pace and is a floater. With the narrower cord it's actually more nimbal than the SU-26.

To put this one together, I just used hot glue. Foam safe CA can be used, or polyurethane (Gorilla). I was in a hurry and did not have any foam safe CA handy. Use is lightly and sparingly and hot glue is fine as my weight of 14oz shows.

Q
Quicker is offline Find More Posts by Quicker
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2008, 07:37 AM
kalteisen.com
Omaha, NE
Joined Aug 2003
2,584 Posts
Here's a shot of the wingtip, showing the airfoil. The wings are CNC cut EPS that is then painted (if you buy a painted version) and then skinned with 1.5 mil mylar. This makes the wings extremely strong and durable, yet light.

Q
Old Sep 07, 2008, 07:41 AM
kalteisen.com
Omaha, NE
Joined Aug 2003
2,584 Posts
Here's some video that my 12 year old shot of me. I had to put music on the video because he would not stop talking

The plane will fly slow or fast. Get the linkages nice and tight with no slop and she will go fast. It will also slow down to a walking pace without wing rock. The thinner airfoil really lets this plane fly a line. It's just fun.

Kalteisen Katana 36 (2 min 55 sec)

Q
Old Sep 07, 2008, 07:45 AM
kalteisen.com
Omaha, NE
Joined Aug 2003
2,584 Posts
The plane goes together like any other foamy, with the exception of the aileron servos. You place them on the wing where they line up with the supplied pre-bent pushrods and trace around them with a pen. Use your knife and dig out a little of the foam and then hot glue the servos in. Use just enough glue to hold them. The servos don't need to be completely flush, in fact I recommend against that.

I recommend hot glue for the horns. Cut a slot in the foam, and put some hot glue on the tab of the horn and push it in.

Q
Old Sep 07, 2008, 05:13 PM
Foam on the range
Cedar Park, TX
Joined Sep 2006
610 Posts
Nice! If you were to accidentally drop one in the box when you ship my SU-26, I could probably find a place for it.
tryharder is offline Find More Posts by tryharder
Old Sep 07, 2008, 05:52 PM
kalteisen.com
Omaha, NE
Joined Aug 2003
2,584 Posts

The SU goes out Monday BTW.

Q
Old Sep 07, 2008, 05:56 PM
Sippin' on Kool Aid
Long Island NY, USA
Joined Dec 2005
2,812 Posts
nice lookin' airframe quicker!! you keep on busting out these planes like they were going out of style.

by the way, if you need anyone to do any "field testing" i have some spare equipment that could use a good home!!
heligrom is offline Find More Posts by heligrom
Old Sep 07, 2008, 09:29 PM
kalteisen.com
Omaha, NE
Joined Aug 2003
2,584 Posts
Thanks heligrom. I've got so many ideas but so little time. Thanks for the offer to help test. You never know, maybe some day. I get PM's and emails every day asking to "get on the list".

Q
Old Sep 08, 2008, 12:01 AM
I used to be all thumbs...
United States, KS, Pittsburg
Joined Mar 2005
7,061 Posts
Awesome looking bird there Q!!!

The Suk looks great too, but the Katana is just perfect!!

Looks like I'll be placing an order soon!!
NumbSkull is offline Find More Posts by NumbSkull
Old Oct 05, 2008, 05:35 PM
Currently between sponsors...
Menasha, WI USA
Joined Jun 2003
771 Posts
Where did you put your battery to get the CG?
TailTwister is offline Find More Posts by TailTwister
Old Oct 05, 2008, 05:39 PM
I used to be all thumbs...
United States, KS, Pittsburg
Joined Mar 2005
7,061 Posts
Are the Katanas shipping now?

I've been wanting to pick up one or maybe the Suk (or maybe both... ).
NumbSkull is offline Find More Posts by NumbSkull
Old Oct 05, 2008, 06:26 PM
Menasha, WI USA
Joined Jun 2003
771 Posts
He shipped me mine. But maybe I'm just special...
Old Oct 05, 2008, 09:03 PM
kalteisen.com
Omaha, NE
Joined Aug 2003
2,584 Posts
Yep, they are shipping.

I fly mostly 1320 packs, and have them about 1/2 in front of the LE and 1/2 aft of the LE of the wing. I am flying a 370 class motor that is lighter, though. I'm using an Emax 370 from value hobby.

I'll look at exactly where I have it.

This is not a high rates all the time plane. I fly aerobatics rates most of the time, including rolling harriers, etc. I only pop to high rates when hovering and in harriers.

Q
Old Oct 05, 2008, 09:23 PM
Menasha, WI USA
Joined Jun 2003
771 Posts
I think I have the Emax 400. I might need my pack a hit back from yours. My packs are the Value hobby 1300s.

Quote:
1/2 in front of the LE and 1/2 aft of the LE of the wing.
This means the pack is centered on the LE of the wing then?
Old Oct 05, 2008, 09:27 PM
kalteisen.com
Omaha, NE
Joined Aug 2003
2,584 Posts
Yep, pretty much centered. These are TP 1320's and HXT 1000's. I also fly HXT 860's but only do aerobatics with them, no hovering. I only get about 4-5 minutes from them.

I'll check the CG location in the morning.

Q