here you go...

What now?
wartoy is offline Find More Posts by wartoy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2008, 06:16 PM
United States, AR, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2005
452 Posts
Hello?? How do I print off the images off my printer?
wartoy is offline Find More Posts by wartoy
Old Dec 06, 2008, 06:47 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,629 Posts
I don't know what I'm doing, but I gave it a try. As with many drawing programs you need to pay attention to the scale. I pasted a screenshot of the settings I used to print to a free PDF'er, CutePDF. I think the main thing in sketchup is to use the view buttons so you are not viewing your model at an angle. I assumed your have drawn your plane to the scale that you want in the end, so here is what I came up with. There may be some optimization to minimize number of pages. Hope this helps.

Here is a help search I did for the settings needed to print.
http://sketchup.google.com/support/b...n&answer=36227

Scott
szastoupil is offline Find More Posts by szastoupil
Old Dec 06, 2008, 08:05 PM
Joined May 2007
556 Posts
Just a quick question here. Does anyone know of any plugins or tools that can export the files as a .dxf file or know of any .pdf to .dxf file converters?

Thanks,
Kevin
3D-Flyer Kevin is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Flyer Kevin
Old Dec 06, 2008, 09:17 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,629 Posts
More on printing....

Or see post #3 that basically described what I just did for print settings.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...21&postcount=3
szastoupil is offline Find More Posts by szastoupil
Old Dec 06, 2008, 10:26 PM
"It's a Quad" :O
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D-Flyer Kevin
Just a quick question here. Does anyone know of any plugins or tools that can export the files as a .dxf file or know of any .pdf to .dxf file converters?

Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin,

To export as DXF you have to have the PRO version. If you have the need for this send me the SU file and I'll send you back the DXF.

This is what I use to go from PDF to DXF:

http://www.aidecad.com/
thewz is offline Find More Posts by thewz
Old Dec 06, 2008, 10:45 PM
Joined May 2007
556 Posts
Ok, thank you, I really appreciate it Unfortunately I'm a senior in highschool getting ready for college and I don't have $180 on hand to buy the software. That's ok though. I'm sure I can make it without it.

Kevin
Old Dec 07, 2008, 06:28 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,018 Posts
kevin... read carefuly the comments on the torent sites of mininova or pirate bay relating to the sketchup downloads..if you dont understand ... P.M me

Printing..see the first page on this thread

But here's the above links instructions slightly updated

How To Print at Scale

Switch to parallel view mode by turning perspective mode off. To turn perspective mode off, open the "Camera" menu and click "Parallel projection"

Select a standard scalable view: Iso, Top, Front, Right, Back, or Left. To select a standard view, open the "Camera" menu, point to "Standard," and then click one of the views.
Or click on one of these icons
The top view would be the most used for plans

Note: The scalable edges are those aligned with the axes.

PC: Open the "File" menu, and then click "Print."

Mac: Open the "File" menu, and then click "Document Setup."

In the "Print Size" section of the "Print" dialog box, clear the "Fit to page" option.

If you are in parallel mode (step 1) and have selected a standard view (step 2), the scale options in the "Print Size" (Mac: "Print Scale") section are enabled when you clear the "Fit to page" option. Set the scale you want to use.

PC: Click "OK" to print your model.

Mac: Click "OK" to save your document settings, and then print your model by opening the "File" menu, and then clicking "Print."

Note: To turn perspective mode back on, open the "Camera" menu, and then click "Perspective" again

PDF'ing

If you install Cutewriter you can select to use the cutewrter pdf option in the printers selection box when printing.. its default is a single page pdf but when you select a 1:1 scale you will then get a tiled.pdf file made of your plans

dave
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Dec 07, 2008 at 09:22 AM.
Old Dec 07, 2008, 09:10 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,018 Posts
Printing a plan to a particular size

here I imported a dxf ...viewed in parallel mode and top view selected
Size the plan by adding a dimension as a check.. then measuring... I used the fuz length and made it 28"...when you use the tape measure tool on this length you can input a value on the key pad then resize the whole thing around that length and the added dimension will confirm you have it correct.

pic1.. zoomed in window to a close fit... ( fitting the window closely around the model . Pull the sides and/or bottom of the window in as tight as possible)
What you see is what you print if you see more space around the model and print, you will be printing the blank areas
pic2..preview box shows 1-8 pages
pic3 ..first two pages...see plan
pic4 ..last two pages...see plan

The plan was sized to make the fuz 28" dimensions shown marked just under the fuz

Originally I had it at 24" it wanted 8 pages to fit so I took it to 28" and it still fit ok. I think it could have been made a slightly bit bigger again before it would have wanted more pages.
Last edited by davereap; Dec 07, 2008 at 09:40 AM.
Old Dec 07, 2008, 01:05 PM
Joined May 2007
556 Posts
Davereap, disregard my PM.... THANK YOU
Old Dec 16, 2008, 06:58 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
I'm trying my hand at SketchUp. I wanted to do a Cartoon Buttercup. I was able to do a boxy model, but really wanted rounder fuse. Below is the picture I used for reference and a pic of my squarish Buttercup. I started another way to do it and it will be too round. If anyone can give me some tips, it would be greatly appreciated.
larryross is offline Find More Posts by larryross
Old Dec 16, 2008, 07:27 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,931 Posts
Might be tough with the curves in sv, but if you check the sketchup model of my Mooney Mite, I just "chamfered" the fuse, or looked at the rounded cross sections and found the flat surfaces that approximated the oval shape. It looks ok from standoff distance, but isn't really round. but long simple triangles rather than hundreds of tiny triangles. The Mooney is really almost straight lines in side and plan view so I was able to make a single large part and groove/fold it into the fuse. If you piece it, you can get most of the curvy surfaces in, i'll bet.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2008, 01:19 AM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
Here are my attempts.
larryross is offline Find More Posts by larryross
Old Dec 17, 2008, 05:37 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,018 Posts
two possible ways
a box section with curved sections top and bottom
or take the box shape.put an arc on a front face then use the follow me tool to pull it along the edges you want rounded.
try to keep the curves with a minimum of sections, especially if you are going to try to unfold
Old Dec 17, 2008, 05:28 PM
Erik with a K
Toledo, OH
Joined Aug 2007
1,123 Posts
Larry, check out this P38 I'm working on over at the phlatprinter forums to get some more ideas on how to do what you are trying...
Very cool looking plane btw.

P-38 Build
tvcasualty is offline Find More Posts by tvcasualty