HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:52 PM
Joined Mar 2011
63 Posts
Just started to design a drone using Sketchup.... love it.

http://subsonichobby.blogspot.com/20...cdrone-v1.html
SubSonichobby is offline Find More Posts by SubSonichobby
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:46 AM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubCrafter View Post
Thanks for the comments guys. My reason for posting was to show that SketchUp is capable of some very complex projects and you don't need Solidworks to do these.

I do use SketchUp 8 Pro.

Attached are screen copies of my plug-in folder. Lots of plug-ins but I don't use them all for each project.
I open up the Mover2 plug-in at the beginning of each design session.

My first suggestion for a new user would be to join the SketchUcation forum.
You can get the plug-ins from there and get questions answered. All for free.

I am also doing some 30" span foamy warbirds like this T-34.

Larry
Larry,

That is awesome, thanks for sharing your skills with us.

Dalton
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:51 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,854 Posts
beautiful work....

If you look at what sketchup is capable of it makes you realise just how clever some of its users are.....

All I can do is the simple stuff.. mostly 2D plans etc....but even for the easy bits sketchup does a brilliant job
davereap is online now Find More Posts by davereap
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:20 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,047 Posts
I have had trouble bringing some of the hidden parts in the background of Sketchup to the top. This is not on items that are layered just parts added to existing drawings. Some of these parts that are added on the top seem to melt into the existing drawing.

I have this function on other programs including photo editing and others but can't find it here.

How do I decide which is on the top?

Thanks
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:50 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,609 Posts
Lee: do you get the comment that "this geometry has merged with hidden geometry" or something like that? One way around that is to group objects you want to keep separate. Highlight the lines/surfaces and make a group. That keeps them from merging.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:04 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,047 Posts
Sketchup is prioritizing levels and not giving me a choice.Things that are there are disappearing as I cut and paste or move the object.

In windows or photo shop you can bring something back to the top by clicking on it. Here I don't seem to have a choice and I can't find a control for it.
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:46 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,609 Posts
So it's not a merging problem. Maybe try Xray view or change transparency? I've had issues with text as well. Sketchup is obviously not a 'drafting' program....
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:11 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,854 Posts
what youve got is all bits on the same level...remember Sketchup is 3d if you want bits on top you move them upward.. most likely in the blue axis direction

I get similar problems because I keep using sketchup in 2D rather than 3D...

just remembered a solution.... we have layers under the window menu./.layers
in the layers menu add some layers
group items... and put them on a layer..
Layer 0 is always at the top..likely there is a reason..
however
layer 2 will stack on top of layer 1..... etc

strange it did, but now it doesnt???????? I tried moving a group from layer 1 to layer 3 thinking it would now go on top of layer 2, but it still goes under.????
seems like you can change group to another layer , but that doesnt affect its positioning from your first choice of layer for that group...
I exploded all, then regrouped and put a different groups to each layer..now the layer order worked as I first said..
I expect I am doing something wrong as I try to change a group from one layer to another , because it doesnt alter your first choice of layer as regards going under or over.....
Last edited by davereap; Feb 06, 2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:13 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,854 Posts
Ive just found another quirk, if you want to call it that..
In a way this is similar to the problem that some get with printing to size...

the view for printouts under camera must be set to parallel, not perspecive view... then it prints out correct

Similarly when you export a PDF as a 2D graphic/plan you must set that camera option to parallel or the exported PDF comes out larger than you want

here are two pics to show what you get... the grid is a 1" square... check the dimensions to the grid..they are snaps from the pdf exported
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:38 AM
Marty Petri Sr.
Thailand, Uttaradit, Bo Thong
Joined Jun 2007
698 Posts
Still reading thru the 1000+ posts, haven't seen much activity lately, is this thread still active? Great job by all that participated, many thanks

Marty
mbpetri is online now Find More Posts by mbpetri
Old Mar 05, 2013, 01:16 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,854 Posts
Its still visited, but needs a few more posts
So when you suss out something that may be of interest...tricks or info please add it on....

Personally I use sketchup all the time..for simple illustrations to various 2D Plans/Lines
these normally get posted to the relevant threads, but here are just a couple Ive drawn up and made into models recently

dave
Last edited by davereap; Mar 05, 2013 at 01:29 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 04:18 AM
Marty Petri Sr.
Joined Jun 2007
698 Posts
Thanks Dave,

I started on SU6, now I am using SU8. I have designed 6 houses, built 3 of them using this program and numerous model airplanes. For some background, please visit my website, http://MartyPetriSr.page4.me Now I am retired and living in Thailand. I have not found a good supply house yet so I spend most of my time here designing on SU.

I did notice that you are also into kites. I have put together a design in SU for a simple kite reel that I built and used back in the 70's. If your interested, PM me and I will send the file.

A few comments, I do not use layers. When I design a plane, every part that you would cut out of foam or ply is a COMPONENT. I put all components on a flat sheet using TOP view. I then copy the components to create the 3D model, rotating to correct planes.

In the 3D model, I will put the Horiz stab and Elevators into a GROUP, same with vert stab and rudder. All fuse parts into another group as I need to adjust each component (slots and tabs or alignment issues) I edit the component in the 3D model, which inturn modifies the parts that are still in the flat.

Finally, I re-arrange the parts in the flat for my output. Most of my work was done on a 2'x3' format because that was the size the lazer cutter could handle. I was outputing to DXF and doing touch up on AutoCAD, then send to the shop where he was using Corel Draw to generate his plotter files.

As far as issues, I desparetly need a plug-in to stop memory loss :-(

My father used to tell me, "You will never learn half of what I have forgotten" Now I truely understand.

Marty
Old Mar 05, 2013, 04:37 AM
Marty Petri Sr.
Joined Jun 2007
698 Posts
Your SU-37 looks like Thomas Hellberg design. I studied his work extensively when I started my RC designs. I scaled his designs to 22" WS and adapted my motor mount design to it http://users5.nofeehost.com/jetsover...tor_Mount.html
This was my website while I lived in the Philippines, now defunct, but still good for history
Last edited by mbpetri; Mar 05, 2013 at 04:42 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 10:22 PM
Marty Petri Sr.
Joined Jun 2007
698 Posts
The link to Google SketchUp 7.1.6860 in post #747 no longer seems to be valid.
Does anyone know where I can download this version? Or if you have an installable copy can someone send it to me? MartyPetriSr@hotmail.com
Thanks,
Marty
Old Mar 06, 2013, 12:29 AM
7up
,ɯǝ ʇoƃ ɐʎ ɟı ,ɯǝ ǝʞoɯs
USA, KY, West Liberty
Joined Jun 2001
1,154 Posts
Marty you can download it at the Phlatforum --> http://www.phlatforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=440

You may have to register but it's free.

-Buk
7up is offline Find More Posts by 7up
Last edited by 7up; Mar 06, 2013 at 12:43 AM.