SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 24, 2008, 05:08 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,836 Posts
Ive had a quick look and see what you mean about the warping..that needs thinking on..
I would reccomend you put all the bits into their own layers, then you can turn them off and on and work on them without messing up any of the other bits.
Its also quicker to just build one side of your model them mirror it..
focker zip layered
davereap is online now Find More Posts by davereap
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2008, 03:51 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,836 Posts
For all you sketchup modelers, planes, boats,cars a thought just occured..(these things happen)...

Why recreate whats already been made... by that I mean why not collect parts from other designs by taking them apart and then saving them to your components library.

It makes no sense to me, to have to design from scratch what someone else has already made..

After all a wheel is a wheel, how many different styles have been done ? check with models in the download galleries, one must suit you, all you need is to size it to what you want..

Its the same for any other item, find, simplify or modify, rather than building from scratch..
Old Oct 26, 2008, 08:06 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,405 Posts
I may have missed it in this thread, but has anyone mastered landing gear wire and other wire objects in SU and shared it here? That is what I am trying to do now.

SU newb,
Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Oct 26, 2008, 08:36 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,836 Posts
I havnt seen any, my bends are just lines to illustrate the bends

Wire UCs are just a small circle pulled along the line with the 'follow me' tool, then use a metalic material to paint.

one of the youtube demos does the 'follow me' tool, when talking about keeping your models simpler.

this thread has a lot of usefull bits

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826409
Old Oct 26, 2008, 10:08 AM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
I don't have a component library (or at least I don't think I do) but have been known to "steal" parts from my other drawings. It's kind of like using subroutines when programming and saves a huge amount of time. Cut and paste too. The mirror trick also saves lots of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
For all you sketchup modelers, planes, boats,cars a thought just occured..(these things happen)...

Why recreate whats already been made... by that I mean why not collect parts from other designs by taking them apart and then saving them to your components library.

It makes no sense to me, to have to design from scratch what someone else has already made..

After all a wheel is a wheel, how many different styles have been done ? check with models in the download galleries, one must suit you, all you need is to size it to what you want..

Its the same for any other item, find, simplify or modify, rather than building from scratch..
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Old Oct 26, 2008, 10:32 AM
Erik with a K
Toledo, OH
Joined Aug 2007
1,119 Posts
When doing landing gear wire I think we will have to approximate. Wire has a minimal bend diameter (just like foam) and there is no good way for Sketchup to account for this, well that I know of. It would need some type of advanced plugin. So I draw the wire with a single line, then rotate the line to something straight so I know the length to cut the wire. It will be "close enough" but not perfect.
tvcasualty is offline Find More Posts by tvcasualty
Old Oct 26, 2008, 12:49 PM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
I found the ARC function perfect for showing bends in wire. First click on some short distance (i.e. 1/8") from the joint on one line then the same distance on the other line and click (SUs green dot shows where) then the red arc shows perfect spot to bend it. Final click and delete "extra" segments. Dimensions of initial lines determine length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvcasualty
When doing landing gear wire I think we will have to approximate. Wire has a minimal bend diameter (just like foam) and there is no good way for Sketchup to account for this, well that I know of. It would need some type of advanced plugin. So I draw the wire with a single line, then rotate the line to something straight so I know the length to cut the wire. It will be "close enough" but not perfect.
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Old Oct 26, 2008, 12:57 PM
If it flies, I will crash it
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,022 Posts
It would be advised for anybody working with Sketchup to spend a little time in the 3D Warehouse. If for no other reason to get some ideas. There is allot of very interesting stuff in there and it is amazing what people have done with this software. I have to admit that I have a tendency to fall back on my architectural back ground when I go there. I am thinking of rendering my Senior year Drafting final just for practice. Maybe even sticks and skin just for the heck of it.

Do a search in the Warehouse for "RC aircraft". The first item that comes up is Crash Mans render of the Blu-Baby by Tony65x55.

Rob...
mxspode is offline Find More Posts by mxspode
Old Oct 27, 2008, 12:48 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,836 Posts
You will find your components library under the windows menu..click to activate.

under .....program files/google/google sketchup6 ..you will find the components folder...

add a new folder (model parts) to this folder and save your parts in this new folder..

the new folder will show in the components menu..and your saved parts will show in it....

Break down any designs for usefull parts...remember its all about scale.. a full sized engine can be scaled to our model size..etc...

here are some good components to start with..

..they are from this thread..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826409
Last edited by davereap; Oct 27, 2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 01:07 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,836 Posts
My next project starts here...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post10820329
Old Oct 27, 2008, 01:43 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,836 Posts
This took about 15mins to hack from one of the google models..I scaled it to about 7" diameter

do some hacking and post here

turbine anyone....
Last edited by davereap; Oct 28, 2008 at 03:30 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 02:14 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,836 Posts
And more..notice the time between this and the last post..thats how long it took to download a model , remove some good bits, sort a pic, zip and post..Remember to make the items you find into a component then you can save them out..With luck this has already been done by the designer..
Save your components in your model parts folder that you should have added.. and away you go
Last edited by davereap; Oct 28, 2008 at 03:35 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 04:52 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,836 Posts
Time to go back to plugins.....

heres a usefull tool...the constructon line tool....draws a dotted line that wont make faces..

guidelines, centre lines, etc its use is that you can use this and the tapemeasure and the protractor to lay out a guide to design your model. Then use the proper line tool to make the faces etc
Old Oct 30, 2008, 04:57 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,836 Posts
heres a tool that will explode everything, all groups etc..in one go.. usefull for getting to all the bits when they have been locked up
Last edited by davereap; Oct 30, 2008 at 05:02 AM.
Old Nov 03, 2008, 06:36 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,405 Posts
3D wire landing gear

All right,

I have the wire making method down pat. The trick is to create a centerline path to follow for your wire. On the end of the wire make a circle by picking the end of the wire as the center for the circle, then type in the wire radius and hit return. Now reselect the entire wire path, click on the follow me tool, and then select the circle face. The wire with diameter is now created. Here is how I learned thanks to bz1mcr.

http://sites.google.com/site/3dbasec...modeling-smart

The part on the video I am referencing is about 40 minutes in.

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project