Thanks for that Davereap!
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:18 AM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
That would be great Bill. Is it doable? If anyone can the scale and tile master can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by segraves View Post
Dave,

Many thanks for your excellent tutorials on Sketchup.

FYI:

http://www.srww.com/blog/?p=117

Found while searching for a way to script the scaling and tiling process in Sketchup. How about a plugin for the process?

Best regards,
Bill Segraves
larryross is offline Find More Posts by larryross
Old Dec 27, 2011, 01:09 AM
vtol fan
Joined Jul 2009
627 Posts
Hi Davereap!
please tell me how i have to do to resize one schetch skp ,with 8 version?
when i choose the tape end i put the mark shroud the proppeller he never ask to me if i want to resize?!
where i go wrong?
have a nice day!
nadine is offline Find More Posts by nadine
Old Dec 27, 2011, 07:28 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryross View Post
That would be great Bill. Is it doable? If anyone can the scale and tile master can.
I think so. I was trying to entice Dave.

I don't have Sketchup installed on my computer right now; so it's not a project for me. Whoever takes on a project like this would need both Sketchup and Ruby (for scripting).

Clearly, Dave has shown that Sketchup users don't need ScaleAndTile3, as they can do what they need within Sketchup.

Here's to a happy and healthy new year for you, Larry.

Warm regards,
Bill Segraves
segraves is offline Find More Posts by segraves
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:51 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadine View Post
Hi Davereap!
please tell me how i have to do to resize one schetch skp ,with 8 version?
when i choose the tape end i put the mark shroud the proppeller he never ask to me if i want to resize?!
where i go wrong?
have a nice day!
the easy way is to draw a line between two points, ie the span is easy...then use a tapemeasure on the line ..click at both ends...and type in the new size to the measurements box..hit enter and now the resize should come up..after that you can delete the line

views/toolbars/measurements.. check.... and it puts a dialog box down bottom left in the window...type the new required size into the box
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Dec 27, 2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:57 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
Quote:
I think so. I was trying to entice Dave.

I don't have Sketchup installed on my computer right now; so it's not a project for me. Whoever takes on a project like this would need both Sketchup and Ruby (for scripting).

Clearly, Dave has shown that Sketchup users don't need ScaleAndTile3, as they can do what they need within Sketchup.

Here's to a happy and healthy new year for you, Larry.

Warm regards,
Bill Segraves
Bill... you are a clever fella...but I am not up to ruby scripting, I try to find easy ways to use any free programs to give me the result I want..

The link posted is confirming what Ive been going on about from the start of this thread.. its nice to have some confirmation

your tile and print, Ive never used, is it still going for free?
I wouldn't mind a copy to try out...

I am into collecting model plans, and sketchup is great for sizing them to whatever size you need, it only takes a few clicks to alter the model and a couple more to save out the result..I doubt a .rb would speed up that operation..
Mostly I don't build from full size plans, but its handy when the full plans have all the parts shown, as parts can be selectively printed out..

Ive been messing with pdf and dxf lately
Using the free SU7 with dxf plugins, DFX files can be imported into sketchup where they can be worked on..DXF files give good clear results at any size , unlike image files, which will go blocky as they go bigger,, so reworked they can be either exported as a dxf or using cutepdf, they can be printed/saved as a file
Now as sketchup wont import pdf files directly, I looked for a converter...and found loads at silly prices.. then I found INKSCAPE a free open source vector editor...
http://inkscape.org/download/ pdfs in and out, dfx in and out, and pdf in then dfx out...lovely job..
Likely Inkscape would do all the editing I want ,, but sketchup is user friendly so I am converting pdf's to dxf's in inkscape then working on them in sketchup..sizing to the correct size they are then output as pdf for printing ..

Ive likely already said that cutepdf can be set to print at 36" wide x whatever length suits in the printer/advanced/postscript options..a pdf output which can go to somewhere that does roll printing if you wanted a full size print..(staples here does it)
What makes sense is to rearrange your dxf layout so as to fit on a 36" wide roll.. then the drawings wont be cut down the middle..
Selectively box the area to print and print to file..then move to another area and print to file..And always use preview while you are messing about
I hope that makes sense...

have a good new year everybody, Dave
Last edited by davereap; Dec 27, 2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:31 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
PM Sent to Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap View Post

your tile and print [ScaleAndTile3], ive never used, is it still going for free?
I wouldn't mind a copy to try out...

Yes, it's still available. See PM.

Best regards,
Bill Segraves
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:55 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
You might like to have a look at this thread, its a project I am trying to help with..
In my case I am tracing over an old plan from a magazine page, and using sketchup, its surprising how accurate you can be from such a small drawing.. The plans are getting there..
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1550147
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:08 PM
If it flies, I will crash it
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,025 Posts
Quote:
But it is SOOOOOOOO! nice to have.

Rob...
mxspode is online now Find More Posts by mxspode
Old Dec 28, 2011, 02:50 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
At my age I get those duh!! moments when I go why didn't I think of that before...
so back to making pdf plans

Do the usual.. pdf to dxf, then import or dxf straight in..
When in sketchup first scale your plan to the size you want.. the example is to a 60" span
Here's the new simple idea... draw a boundary box tight round your plan.. add dimensions... now when you setup cute pdf the dimensions that are shown for the box are the settings you put for the post script page size..
Remember that in camera the parallel view must be set on... scale at 1:1.....HLR checked on in the print box... and use model extents not on
Next you adjust the window box size and the adjust the zoom on the view..note the mouse wheel will zoom in and out, get the model so the SU window just hides the box you have drawn..
Double check in the preview, then print and save your pdf
Last edited by davereap; Dec 28, 2011 at 03:00 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 09:53 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap View Post
At my age I get those duh!! moments when I go why didn't I think of that before...
so back to making pdf plans

Do the usual.. pdf to dxf, then import or dxf straight in..
When in sketchup first scale your plan to the size you want.. the example is to a 60" span
Here's the new simple idea... draw a boundary box tight round your plan.. add dimensions... now when you setup cute pdf the dimensions that are shown for the box are the settings you put for the post script page size..
Remember that in camera the parallel view must be set on... scale at 1:1.....HLR checked on in the print box... and use model extents not on
Next you adjust the window box size and the adjust the zoom on the view..note the mouse wheel will zoom in and out, get the model so the SU window just hides the box you have drawn..
Double check in the preview, then print and save your pdf
Dave, letter-size tiles in ScaleAndTile3 are 8 in. x 10.5 in., so they can be printed, centered on 8-1/2 x 11 paper, with a nice 1/4 in. margin all around the edges. Your plan is 62 x 48, so if you select LETTERL (landscape), you'll generate 36 tiles. Turn off the grids, so you won't waste toner/ink on the grid lines.

Cheers,
Bill Segraves
Last edited by segraves; Dec 28, 2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:23 AM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
Bill I don't know if it can be done, but when scaling a plan that has tab and slots, it would be nice to chose if you want them to be scaled too or not. Would this be a can of worms??

Thanks for all you do. I use your program a lot and am grateful for it. Even though Acrobat reader now scales and tiles, there is no comparison to your Scale and Tile program. I have used both and use yours 99% of the time.

Dave you really should try it. You'll like it I guarantee it.
larryross is offline Find More Posts by larryross
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:33 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryross View Post
Bill I don't know if it can be done, but when scaling a plan that has tab and slots, it would be nice to chose if you want them to be scaled too or not. Would this be a can of worms??

Thanks for all you do. I use your program a lot and am grateful for it. Even though Acrobat reader now scales and tiles, there is no comparison to your Scale and Tile program. I have used both and use yours 99% of the time.

Dave you really should try it. You'll like it I guarantee it.
Larry, ScaleAndTile3 has no such capability. OTOH, since ScaleAndTile3 preserves vectors, if any, the widths of the slots could be adjusted in a program such as Inkscape, or Sketchup, after doing the PDF to DXF transformation Dave describes a few messages back from here.

Thank you for your kind comments about my program.

Best regards,
Bill Segraves
Last edited by segraves; Dec 29, 2011 at 07:24 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:37 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
Bill,s scale and tile is a compact program that does exactly what it says... nice tile prints from a pdf with out any fuss..

Sketchup also will print out tiled prints, but as yet I havnt tried both to make a comparison..the qualty of the print and the ease of reassembling... Its not often I want a full sized plan..I more often knock out foamies that are simple designs.. just measure cut and stick

using sketchup however, you are able to scale different parts of a drawing to what size you want, then print or output the result as a pdf to use later..with tile and print for example
Last edited by davereap; Dec 28, 2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:11 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
For those still unsure about print from sketchup have a look at this..
NOTE the page size was fixed from the size of the boundary box and the window was tight..
only in camera , the parallel was altered to perspective ...and on the print box use model extents was later also checked.. it gives three different results

for all previews the page size is the same

only the first in parallel gives the correct size model
Last edited by davereap; Dec 29, 2011 at 12:16 AM.