HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2008, 01:34 PM
If it flies, I will crash it
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,017 Posts
OK, it is amazing how stupid I can look at times. Post number 3 of this thread solved my printout problems.

Now that I have the issue of output to scale solved can I assume that I should use alternating views with components hidden to get the individual parts? I think that is the way to do it, then I can use Photoshop to put it all together into a file for printing.

I am going to give it a try and see what happens.

Rob...
mxspode is online now Find More Posts by mxspode
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2008, 02:43 PM
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
rich smith... I have looked at your problem but I have no answer to it...sorry..thats not to say there is no answer..

like your deltas...as you can tell I go for them, and wings myself. and now also build everything with KF steps...and, if you havnt tried them, check out the nutball...also great

rcav8r2....best practice is to download bits that are already made then modify them..
There is a lot of servos , motors etc on this thread. saves a lot of time

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826409

download parts and then copy into a new folder in where sketchup has its components. you can simplify them if you like to keep the overall model manageable..
Too much detail on small parts is not needed.
It is extreemly detrimental if you are going to try to get your model into a flight sim.. The conversion program I use (xmodder) will not handle too many points/surfaces..

I have been looking without success for a plugin that will work out the AUW weight of my model...but its not the sort of thing most sketchup designers would find a use for..the nearest plug in is a cost estimate, it might be possible to use this, but assign weights represented by dollars (whatever) to each component/part.
I was hopeing to design the model add all the components, then get an AUW resulting weight..
Hi again Dave,

In this post you mention xmodder. I have heard of this before but I for the life of me cannot find it. The name is apparently pretty popular since a Google search yields nearly 3000 hits. I went through a few pages and found nothing. I could go through them all but if you could narrow my search a little I would appreciate it.

I managed to get all of my parts exported using CuteWriter. It worked OK with the exception of all of the wasted pages as mentioned by others. A single part that would fit on a single 8-1/2 x 11 page is instead printed on 4 sheets. A little annoying. I do wish that tiling could be turned of so images could be exported as a single page regardless of size. I could then create a single document in Photoshop and use Bill's ScaleAndTile3 to tile it. I can still do this but it means that I have to piece it all together in PS. Not a huge deal but but it could be easier. Can't really complain though. It is a nice way to get around the "Pro" version. Thanks again.

Rob...
Old Oct 21, 2008, 04:35 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,806 Posts
Xmodder is a program used in conjunction with the .x files exported from metasequoia. It doesnt seem to work with other exported .x files. Ive tried it.. You can take a sketchup model then export as a .3ds file to metasequoia..then re-export from metasequoia as an .x file and use it in xmodder to make a .mod file for the reflex xtr simulator....god! that sound convoluted... The only problem is that the sketchup seems to make models with too many points and the Xmodder can only deal with a maximum number..
If you neeed a copy of Xmodder I have an old copy I can zip it and email it to you...just PM me your email...I havnt looked for a more recent copy, but will have a look tomorrow...
Also the way to get arround the pro version is to check the torrent sites and read comments carefully..... ....dave
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Old Oct 21, 2008, 09:08 PM
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
Xmodder is a program used in conjunction with the .x files exported from metasequoia. It doesnt seem to work with other exported .x files. Ive tried it.. You can take a sketchup model then export as a .3ds file to metasequoia..then re-export from metasequoia as an .x file and use it in xmodder to make a .mod file for the reflex xtr simulator....god! that sound convoluted... The only problem is that the sketchup seems to make models with too many points and the Xmodder can only deal with a maximum number..
If you neeed a copy of Xmodder I have an old copy I can zip it and email it to you...just PM me your email...I havnt looked for a more recent copy, but will have a look tomorrow...
Also the way to get arround the pro version is to check the torrent sites and read comments carefully..... ....dave
Dave,
Thanks for the tips and I will let you know about xmodder. For now I am more interested in getting a 2D plan of what I have created so I can do some real world testing and determine if my CG calculations are accurate before I continue. I have another idea I may try tonight. I am going to save all of the components to the hard drive and then import them as individual files and place them all on the same plane. I only have five shapes to deal with so it should be pretty easy. I will let you know how it comes out.

Rob...
Old Oct 21, 2008, 09:46 PM
Up in smoke!
Greenville, TX
Joined Jun 2007
627 Posts
Just found this thread and have been wanting to learn sketchup. Now to read all this, take it all in and down load the program.
BlueFFF is offline Find More Posts by BlueFFF
Old Oct 21, 2008, 09:49 PM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,913 Posts
Question how do you save your model units you changed? i would hate the idea that you have to do it every time? any idea on how to?
Im talking about your dimensioning units and precision.
GreenAce92 is offline Find More Posts by GreenAce92
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:15 PM
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFFF
Just found this thread and have been wanting to learn sketchup. Now to read all this, take it all in and down load the program.
It is actually pretty easy to learn and fairly quick to pick up. The program is designed for the un-trained. Compared to Blender or Rhino it is very easy. I can highly recommend you watch the videos that Google has for the program here. I picked up allot of info and figured out a bunch of stuff for myself just from watching those. It is a good place to start. The nice thing is it is free so it is hard to beat and a good place to start. Once you have mastered it you can try Blender and advance even farther.

Rob...

Edit; I wanted to make sure that anyone who may have seen this post didn't get the wrong idea here. By un-educated I meant untrained in the use of CAD or 3D CAD. Sorry if that came out wrong. I changed the main text of this message to make me look a little less like an ass.
Last edited by mxspode; Oct 21, 2008 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Avoiding misunderstandings.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:17 PM
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAce92
Question how do you save your model units you changed? i would hate the idea that you have to do it every time? any idea on how to?
Im talking about your dimensioning units and precision.
If you open your project and then go to Windows/ Model Info you can make changes there and as long as you save the project when you are through they should remain.

Rob...
Old Oct 21, 2008, 11:48 PM
Erik with a K
Toledo, OH
Joined Aug 2007
1,108 Posts
hey dave!
I read some of your first posts in this thread where you were modeling that Saber...

You had a great start, but soon found out that it was too time consuming.

So you then took the path of being less scale.
Great idea, but consider going more scale... You were trying to be too exact!
take a look at this page:
http://www.foamcasualty.com/?p=68

Basically all you really need to do is rough in the parts, as simple as possible using lines only, then if you want a more exact fit, go back into your model and make the parts more scale like delta dart using curves (key here is to do it AFTER you unfold the simple sections!) But when you go to assemble those rough shapes they will fit nicely into a very scale looking model. This saves time and still comes out great in the end.
tvcasualty is offline Find More Posts by tvcasualty
Last edited by tvcasualty; Apr 10, 2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 03:55 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,806 Posts
Nice link. ...thanks... you are correct, too exact is not needed for our models. Most of our builds are basic boxes with wings etc stuck on, with just enough shape to look like the real things..
As yet ive not played with the unfolding plugin, I have been building the superfly clones. From what ive built the simpler the better works best..

mxspode..rob. I found the xmodder site but have had no luck getting registered. so I cant download the latest version. If you have more luck perhaps you can email me a copy

xmodder here... hows your german?....it says registration is deactivated at the moment..

http://reflex.cmedv.de/xmodder.htm
Last edited by davereap; Oct 23, 2008 at 05:26 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 12:40 PM
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,017 Posts
Yea I found that as well. Same problem though. I have more or less back shelved it. For now I need to figure out how to go from a 3D render to a set of plans that can be used to cut out parts with. So far I haven't had much luck. Mark, aka Kram242's last video was missing on YouTube and he may have covered it there. I think I may contact him and see if he has an answer.

If I do get back to the xmodder thing I will be sure to forward you a copy.

Rob...
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:33 PM
Thermal seeker
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Jul 2005
566 Posts
I'm trying to convert some plans I found here on RCgroups to SU. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to curve a given piece around something.

For example, fuse sides that taper back towards the tail following a bottom fuse piece or a top fuse piece. Or an arced former?

I have a picture of the model I'm working on, you can see the fuse sides need to be bent in.

Thanks!

-Mike
Bohh33 is offline Find More Posts by Bohh33
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:48 PM
Erik with a K
Toledo, OH
Joined Aug 2007
1,108 Posts
Great example! See how your sides taper together there? Instaed of using an arc to follow the entire top profile, only do, say, 1/3 of it, using a straight line. Same with how it tapers up on the side view. This will not be 100% to scale, but it will be close enough. Then you just connect end point to end point. It's best if you model some type of former at each segment.

The Dr. I is a great plane to try this out on since the fuse is square, you can just align each section with a line that is along the blue axis.

Thing to remember about sketchup is that it is a surface modeling program, which means everything has to be co-planer to make a surface... in other words, make triangles. Everytime you draw an arc the model becomes very complex, as it automatically segements the line 12-24 times, giving the illusion of a smooth line. In the end when you bend your foam to mimic these surfaces the foam will form a smooth line, so it's best to take a bit more time to actually draw it to save lots of time unfolding it.

I'll get some shots up of the Neuiport I'm working on soon which should help.
tvcasualty is offline Find More Posts by tvcasualty
Old Oct 23, 2008, 04:54 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,806 Posts
bohh33...zip up the model and post it then we can see where youve got to better..dave

from the look of it you can do it through the zorro plugin...... post35
use zorro to cut through the sides at the former location
select just the rear ends and move them in.
you wont get a curved pull in on your sketchup model unless you make multiple cuts and bend in a bit at a time, but on the real model do you need it? If you do you can still build it into the real one.

Also cheat....has anyone already done it? if so use and modify theirs...saves time....

Heres a link to the video for the 38" superfly clone KFm4..sketchup lines in post71

Depron Superfly 38 clone KFm4 (4 min 46 sec)
Last edited by davereap; Oct 23, 2008 at 05:28 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 07:44 AM
Thermal seeker
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Jul 2005
566 Posts
Thank you for the replies. I tried your suggestions and the Zorro tool but I can't get it to work. Everytime I try to drag or move a section it warps the rest of my "part."

What I'm trying to do is make a code for the Phlat Printer. So I've taken a plan and make all the parts. Now, I'm trying to assemble the plane in SU to see if there are any modifications I need to make. So I'd like to use the parts given on the plan instead of making my own.

Attached is what I have so far.

Thanks!
Bohh33 is offline Find More Posts by Bohh33