Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 22, 2011, 06:21 PM
fly away,fast
Joined Jul 2009
228 Posts
I just got google sketchup can someone help me on how to use it?
f22 parkflyer is offline Find More Posts by f22 parkflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2011, 07:38 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
936 Posts
You should look at the sketchup tutorials. It is in the help menu at the top of the screen. I covers all the basics. There are also all kinds of Sketchucation videos on Utube.
MUTCAKE is offline Find More Posts by MUTCAKE
Old Jun 22, 2011, 07:53 PM
RC Adddict
150 mile house B.C. Canada
Joined Jan 2010
4,060 Posts
+1 for YouTube . lots of great info there to get you going .
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Jul 02, 2011, 01:11 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,798 Posts
Sketchup is a great free program...
precise drawings are easily made...
tip ..down at the bottom left is a box that shows the length or size of what you are up to..
For a precise length line/whatever type your own size in the box and hit enter..
To resize/scale a model plane use the tape measure across its span, now type in the size you want and hit enter.. ok the resize and you are now at a new scale..
If you have previously added all your dimensions these will now show all the new sizes..
Its a great way to make any model to the span/size that suits you

To get to grips with the program set a task and figure out the how to..the more you use it the faster you will get..
And do watch youtube videos, there are some clever people showing you how to do all the basics and the difficult bits as well
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Old Jul 02, 2011, 03:08 AM
Norway
Joined Dec 2009
145 Posts
Can I use sketchup to make 3D figures out of 2D drawings? - or draw in 3D then print 2D?

I would like to cut 2D shapes and glue it together to different figures like cones or different spheres etc.

I have some trouble printing my plans too, I can't find a way to get the whole figure on one A4 sheet of paper...
Foskje is offline Find More Posts by Foskje
Old Jul 02, 2011, 08:20 AM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foskje View Post
I have some trouble printing my plans too, I can't find a way to get the whole figure on one A4 sheet of paper...
Take a look at post #3. Instead of using 1:1 for the print size, make sure the box is checked "fit to page" under print settings in SU.

Scott
szastoupil is offline Find More Posts by szastoupil
Old Jul 03, 2011, 07:08 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,444 Posts
There are plugins like slicer that will slice a 3d model up into layers whose thickness you define, and lay them out for printing.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2011, 03:49 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2009
145 Posts
What I would like is more like tis type of print:

- and I would like different shapes, not spheres only..

I can't get the printout to work - I have some problems with the margin that erase 3mm of my PDF when I print it.... (I print to cutePDF marginless...)
Old Jul 04, 2011, 01:06 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,798 Posts
That sort of result is what the unfold tool plugin gives, only more so
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Old Aug 04, 2011, 11:24 AM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,676 Posts
Came across this plugin that will import airfoil .dat files into Sketchup Here is a good list of airfoils that are available to the public. http://www.ae.illinois.edu/m-selig/a..._database.html. I have found this plugin VERY useful when working with "conventional" airfoils. No more having to trace over a .gif image to get a wing profile. I can say this airfoil .dat improter plugin works well with Sketchup8 on XP and running under WINE on Linux.

Mark

Should work very well designing templates for hot wire cutting foam wings.
Quick61 is offline Find More Posts by Quick61
Old Aug 05, 2011, 02:22 AM
Norway
Joined Dec 2009
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap View Post
That sort of result is what the unfold tool plugin gives, only more so
Thanks, I got it and it works!
Old Aug 05, 2011, 09:02 AM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick61 View Post
Came across this plugin that will import airfoil .dat files into Sketchup Here is a good list of airfoils that are available to the public. http://www.ae.illinois.edu/m-selig/a..._database.html. I have found this plugin VERY useful when working with "conventional" airfoils. No more having to trace over a .gif image to get a wing profile. I can say this airfoil .dat improter plugin works well with Sketchup8 on XP and running under WINE on Linux.

Mark

Should work very well designing templates for hot wire cutting foam wings.
Thanks for this! It does work well for me (using Sketchup 7 in WINE on Linux). One thing to remember when using it the first time is that it doesn't seem to allow resizing before pasting, so can produce a very small initial image (since a .DAT file is normalized to a maximum dimension of 1).

No problem, you can scale it up -- I just mention this because you might not actually see it initially, depending on your view. -- it's about the size of a peanut located at the origin.

I use .dat files to not only cut airfoils for wings, but to cut fuselage plan and profiles in solid block foam for carving down by hand. This allows standard CNC wing cutting software to cut fuselage blocks as well. And the fuselage block an be conveniently scaled in size in the software by specifying its "chord". So far, I've done this succesfully in JediCut.
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Old Aug 05, 2011, 11:44 AM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,676 Posts
Shiny! Good to hear that my post has been of benefit to someone. I have gotten so much from this thread, happy to give a little back. It looks like that it imports the .dat files at 1", and yes, one does need to then scale to their desired size.... good to mention that for people just starting out with Sketchup.

Mark
Quick61 is offline Find More Posts by Quick61
Old Aug 05, 2011, 10:51 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Mark, it may actually be smaller or larger than 1" -- a .dat file always has a max size of 1. Depending on how Sketchup is configured by the user (inches, mm, feet) the image might be 1 mm long. Not sure about that, but thought I'd mention it, again for new users.
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Old Aug 06, 2011, 03:58 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,018 Posts
Hello All!

I've been using sketchup to lay out my plans and then I export into Illustrator where I add details like text, etc. Is this how others are doing it as well, or tis there a way to add text effectively in sketchup. It seems the text tool is mostly good for 3d text....(?) - or is that what I should be using?
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice