HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2011, 12:30 PM
If it flies, I will crash it
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,040 Posts
Buk to the rescue ounce again. I have tried to use Intersect many times for things like this and failed each time. Your video has shown me the steps I was missing.

Thanks again,
Rob...
mxspode is offline Find More Posts by mxspode
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2011, 12:57 PM
Joined Mar 2007
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap View Post
One easy option for working out the ribs is to orientate the rib in line with the chord then use the move+ to copy off a number of ribs.. next scale each rib to suit the position you want to put it in...but this wont give you a 3d wing unless you layout all the ribs and skin them over
second option..is to take the rib you have..use the (multiple faces) push pull to extrude the rib to the length of the wing... then reshape/scale the wing at each of the various rib positions...
Unfortunately there are no quick ways that I can think of
I am using Curviloft written by Fredo6. It allows you to extrude by rails and several other methods. Very useful Plugin available at Sketchucation.
JimnAz is offline Find More Posts by JimnAz
Old May 01, 2011, 01:25 PM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7up View Post
Here is my method. I find it easier and quicker than the Slice plug-in.
-Buk
Man, I love this group!! Thanks 7up! Now that is what I was looking for. Good show. Very slick and easy enough to follow along. Thanks!
Quick61 is offline Find More Posts by Quick61
Old May 01, 2011, 01:31 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick61 View Post
Thats what i was afraid of. I was hoping that there was some sort of extruding tool that would fill along a plain then just scale the thickness at the end. I guess Sketchup can't do everything. Scaling and placing the ribs was what I was wanting to get away from, wanting to pull out the master rib and then use the slice tool to 'produce' the ribs so I didn't have to scale them.

Sense I am going to have to go the scaling route, is there any way to up the resolution of the scaling tool? The increase / decrease precision does not seem to affect scale.
Check this thread for some tips: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1244347&page=2 There are plugins out there, that will help you out. Have a look at the sketchucation forum, for plugins. You can even learn to write plugins, yourself.

-Kwok
Kwok_Yu is offline Find More Posts by Kwok_Yu
Old May 04, 2011, 02:15 AM
7up
,ɯǝ ʇoƃ ɐʎ ɟı ,ɯǝ ǝʞoɯs
USA, KY, West Liberty
Joined Jun 2001
1,154 Posts
Intersect is powerful

The intersect tool is powerful. It is also great for adding panel lines, graphics or text to curved surfaces like air-foiled wings, fuse sides or turtle decks.

Graphics (4 min 1 sec)

-Buk
7up is offline Find More Posts by 7up
Old May 04, 2011, 02:46 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,697 Posts
Yea, I just used it to do a pod for a KF winged, tiperon glider I'v been kicking around. Worked real well for that and was fast. Didn't work out a well for a curved leading edge. Ribs would not come out right. The extrude tools worked better for that one. Thanks for sharing as I would of maybe never figured out the intersect tool without your videos.
Old May 04, 2011, 03:00 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,697 Posts
And here is a curved LE wing panel made with the extrude tools and ribs produced with Slicer tool. (Foam thickness ribs to boot )
Old May 04, 2011, 03:08 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,021 Posts
Quote:
The extrude tools worked better for that one. Thanks for sharing as I would of maybe never figured out the intersect tool without your videos.
When I started this thread, I was just getting started on sketchup, so I was posting as I sussed things out..
My thanks to everyone who keeps adding usefull bits, I am still leaning from you all...

Please if you find usefull plugins or tools...Name them...zip em up and post them on here..with some info on how to use them...or even a link to the plugin is a help... dave
davereap is online now Find More Posts by davereap
Old May 04, 2011, 03:38 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,697 Posts
Thanks for reminding me Dave, It slipped my mind that I didn't get the extrude tools from this thread.. Here they are along with a mini tutorial that helped me figure it all out.

Edit: Mini tutorial done by Kwok_Yu - thread here - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1244347 in the CAD/CAM section.

Better?
Old May 05, 2011, 07:46 AM
CT4
Sydney Australia
Joined Oct 2006
59 Posts
I found these 2 plugins. centrepoint places a small + at the centre of a selected face or centre of a group. Really useful for putting shafts through wheels etc. Midpoint places a small + at the midway point between 2 points on an object that you select.
CT4 is offline Find More Posts by CT4
Old May 17, 2011, 04:00 PM
Joined Nov 2007
40 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for reminding me Dave, It slipped my mind that I didn't get the extrude tools from this thread.. Here they are along with a mini tutorial that helped me figure it all out.
How do you convert entities to a polyline so that the plugin with reconginze them as a curve? I'm lovin this plugin. Makes for a sexy DLG pod.
Thanks
MJER is offline Find More Posts by MJER
Old May 17, 2011, 11:35 PM
Joined Mar 2007
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJER View Post
How do you convert entities to a polyline so that the plugin with reconginze them as a curve? I'm lovin this plugin. Makes for a sexy DLG pod.
Thanks
Get and install the plugin called weld to do this. Select the lines you want to convert. They must be coplanar. Then start the plugin and run it. Very simple to do. There is another plugin that creates curves from lines called recurve.rb.

both of these are available at www.sketchucation.com or right here at the below zip.
JimnAz is offline Find More Posts by JimnAz
Last edited by JimnAz; May 18, 2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old May 18, 2011, 12:01 PM
Joined Nov 2007
40 Posts
Thanks... Turns out I had it already and didn't know what it did.
MJER is offline Find More Posts by MJER
Old May 29, 2011, 10:45 PM
CT4
Sydney Australia
Joined Oct 2006
59 Posts
Found this plugin. Just what you need for foam sheet Automatically cuts corresponding slots(tabs) into the opposite piece of foam. The Entities need to be in a group and not component for this too work. Also both pieces of foam have to be the same thickness. At the moment it is set for 6mm. You can change this in the script if you always use another thickness, or in Ruby Console and this will last for the length of the session.
$kyyu_s4t = 6.mm change the 6 to what ever thickness you are using. If you work in imperial 1/4 inch would be $kyyu_s4t = 0.250.
Full description and video herehttp://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtopic.php?t=28616
CT4 is offline Find More Posts by CT4
Old Jun 13, 2011, 04:19 PM
7up
,ɯǝ ʇoƃ ɐʎ ɟı ,ɯǝ ǝʞoɯs
USA, KY, West Liberty
Joined Jun 2001
1,154 Posts
Here is a couple more examples of using the ¤ntersect" tool for creating weird angles and curves that I posted over at the Phlatforum. Sorry, no audio, I'm not much of a talker.

I demonstrate on an airboat hull. I just designed a prototype airboat and posted the SU and PDFfiles in my blog if anyone is interested in checking it out.

SU Funny angles (8 min 42 sec)

SU weird curves (6 min 13 sec)

-Buk
7up is offline Find More Posts by 7up