HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2008, 10:37 AM
Joined Oct 2004
450 Posts
Dave,
Thanks for the info. I have been selectively printing so that the entirely blank pages aren't included, but it is still irritating that an object that is less than the size of a piece of paper prints in multiple pages by default.
Adam
adamdb is offline Find More Posts by adamdb
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2008, 03:10 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
what are you printing out with?
do you use cutewriter and print as a pdf?
or is it that printing full size bits causes the cutewriter to give that problem?

edit..ive just had a go..
OK it doesnt matter what you print with you still get that result....its a pain... I wonder why it does that...

have a check over on the sketchup forums...I will do the same and see if we can find an answer..I know its just a few bits of paper, but as you say, it would go onto one sheet no problems
davereap is online now Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Oct 10, 2008 at 03:32 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 04:13 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
Here are the bends for that UC used on my delta and wing.. the two sections are bound and cyano'd together then fixed to the thin ply plate, using more fishing line(dacron, firewire) and cyano. two strips of velcro are more than good enough for holding it on
Last edited by davereap; Oct 12, 2008 at 04:14 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 09:16 AM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
Dave,

That video was amazing. The plane was so easy to see. I wish everybody would make movies like that instead of the stupid music/fades and little dot in the sky.

I am interested in simpler designs like Superfly and NB. Goldguy recently commented on tractor vs mid-slot. It's been many years since I did a tractor (GWS stick) and I am curious to see the difference myself. I guess you've tried both, what do you think?

P.S. Your landing gear drawing is great and I like the velcro concept. Been looking for a good gear solution for a long time. I'll try a shortened 2 wheel version. I said "how come I didn't think of that?".
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Old Oct 10, 2008, 10:02 AM
7000mw of raw power!
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
Wipped this out this morn in 20 min.. Would have taken an hour w/o those tips I learned here.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 08:10 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
Sidetracking a bit..but never mind

Tractors are fine, prop in slot gives more airflow over the control surfaces, so fastest response. Rear mounted still works, but airflow over controls now totaly depending on forward speed.
Each has its plus and minus..

I think the trike gear works ok because its a long version. And it wont pull away easily.
I use this alternative two legged method on the nutball see pics below ( 2mins in sketchup )
The blue line is some CF rod to hold the thing on.. the cross bars are just long enough to make the UC a tight fit on the fuz..the v section pushes down on each of the sides of the fuz
and...see...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1448

The sketchup does do the job well. It makes size changes a doddle...etc and the nutball is a great aircraft... although if you build with depron I will recommend a top 50% KF step about 10mm total depth tapered down on the tip section, it stiffens up the wing a treat

For the wing tips
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1327
Ive found a heat gut that works well..pic 3 of this post would be ideal for the nutball..no cut and stick needed and the bend is just as strong as the rest
Last edited by davereap; Oct 12, 2008 at 04:16 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 01:34 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
heres the latest built up superfly dimensions done with sketchup

build here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=592883&page=3
Old Oct 14, 2008, 01:54 PM
7000mw of raw power!
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
Dave,

I see you have discovered default Sketchup surface resembles foam! Maybe poke cg in there too? Guess I should try KF again, didn't notice miraculous improvement before... but who knows.

BTW You really do like them big.

-Rich
Old Oct 14, 2008, 02:06 PM
7000mw of raw power!
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
Hey, See you fixed the UC drawing goof. It WAS a puzzlement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
Sidetracking a bit..but never mind

Tractors are fine, prop in slot gives more airflow over the control surfaces, so fastest response. Rear mounted still works, but airflow over controls now totaly depending on forward speed.
Each has its plus and minus..

I think the trike gear works ok because its a long version. And it wont pull away easily.
I use this alternative two legged method on the nutball see pics below ( 2mins in sketchup )
The blue line is some CF rod to hold the thing on.. the cross bars are just long enough to make the UC a tight fit on the fuz..the v section pushes down on each of the sides of the fuz
and...see...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1448

The sketchup does do the job well. It makes size changes a doddle...etc and the nutball is a great aircraft... although if you build with depron I will recommend a top 50% KF step about 10mm total depth tapered down on the tip section, it stiffens up the wing a treat

For the wing tips
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1327
Ive found a heat gut that works well..pic 3 of this post would be ideal for the nutball..no cut and stick needed and the bend is just as strong as the rest
Old Oct 15, 2008, 05:05 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
Its good that you noticed the whoopsy with the V section going the wrong way.
Fancy bending it then it wont fit...

I prefer smaller...30" ideal... but I want to lower the wing loading to get it to float as well as being able to speed around..so I have to build this one bigger
Last edited by davereap; Oct 15, 2008 at 10:29 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 10:38 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
The 38" SF clone has now flown.....post 67 has the link to the build...
for the plans in sketchup format see below...dont forget they can be resized to whatever wingspan you want
Old Oct 16, 2008, 10:51 AM
7000mw of raw power!
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
I think I will try one with removeable KF pieces so I can evaluate effectiveness of top, bottom, and none. It'll be whatever size PB3 allows thanks to the resize trick I learned from you. Hope it ztill haz that loud buzzzz like yourzzz.

Thanks for poking in that CG.

-Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
The 38" SF clone has now flown.....post 67 has the link to the build...
for the plans in sketchup format see below...dont forget they can be resized to whatever wingspan you want
Old Oct 16, 2008, 11:09 AM
7000mw of raw power!
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
Looks like 30 3/4" span. Whoa...in the big time now!
Old Oct 19, 2008, 12:25 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
you will be needing some ply soon....
Old Oct 19, 2008, 01:26 PM
If it flies, I will crash it
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,024 Posts
Hi Dave,

Thanks for all of the tips and links. You have made it much easier for me to figure this stuff out. I have managed to create a design using 3 views and Sketchup and I am fairly happy with the results. However now that I have gotten this far I am stuck. I for the life of me cannot figure out how to take the 3D drawing and make a 2D representation that can be printed out and used as a pattern for cutting foam. Also even though I have drawn a plane with a 19-1/2" wing span, no mater what I do the output is always compressed on one 8-1/2" x 11" sheet. I for the life of me can't figure out how to get an output that is to scale. Probably just missing something.

Thanks again for the tips and advice.

Rob...
mxspode is offline Find More Posts by mxspode