HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2008, 06:57 AM
PB #2212
London, England
Joined Dec 2005
330 Posts
I need to design plans it looks for a foamy to fit a 50. size or 90. size hacker i want it full fuse and aerofoiled wing how hard should this be and could i do all this from 3-views like get the former size etc ??

Dan
3dflyindan is offline Find More Posts by 3dflyindan
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2008, 07:29 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
Ive just been using sketchup to work out dimensions from an imported picture
Using a top view of a superfly.bmp to measure the dimensions... then this was scaled for a 9 prop slot and it seems like a good result...

since sketchup can import a lot of plan formats or pictures all you need is to add dimensions.

With the sketchup you can then do a complete rescale in about 1 second...not exaggerating here...you use the tape tool to measure just one dimension ...such as the span...then tell it what size you want...and just resize the whole model ..it then shows all the new sizes

A great easy method for resizing any plan since sketchup will import and export in lots of the plan formats ...
Very nice, Dave.

Not as fast as ScaleAndTile3 , but much more capabilities. I'll look forward to using your tutorials when I get a Phlatprinter, which I must have to properly cut the bundle of BluCor that's on its way here.

Best regards,
Bill Segraves
segraves is offline Find More Posts by segraves
Old Oct 05, 2008, 10:05 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dflyindan
I need to design plans it looks for a foamy to fit a 50. size or 90. size hacker i want it full fuse and aerofoiled wing how hard should this be and could i do all this from 3-views like get the former size etc ??

Dan

Give it a go...and post as you go on here..It shouldnt be too difficult, it depends on how complex a model you are looking for. and what plans or pics you are using to work from.

The formers will size as you size the whole model. using the section plane tool through the model will enable you to trace formers for each location you want.

Or if you are working from plans just trace the formers out, and then resizing the plan will make them to the correct size. you dont need to print out the whole plan, just make each former a component and save them individually, then you can re-import them onto a new project, arrange them and just print them out.
I rarely use a full size plan, but just print the formers..ribs etc

remember use layers, put your plan on one layer and lock it down..
make a new layer (formers) trace your formers, group and lock each one as you go, put them on your new layer as you group them..
If you can keep your bits seperate, its less likely you will mess them up.
You dont want to get too many bits in the same layer stuck to each other.
remember to make lots of saves as you go. and different saves so you can get back to where you had it good....before you messed up...

I am still finding out the best ways myself...but its good fun
davereap is online now Find More Posts by davereap
Old Oct 05, 2008, 01:59 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,004 Posts
Here is my latest project ..a built up modified superfly

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=592883&page=3

and heres how it goes together using sketchup..play with the file from the zip..

despite being a simple model it took me ages to get it nicely sorted in the sketchup program...ive put it in layers so you can turn them off a part at a time
Old Oct 05, 2008, 02:03 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,004 Posts
Heres the actual model. its now ready to go ive fitted the radio.
The basis was a superfly, this uses the same delta shape.
my mods..Double KF steps... prop slot moved back a bit to miss the steps...slight reshaping of the elevons and fins to give it a more agressive look...fins now vertical....span raised from 27" to 30"

Having built it I feel that the span should have been a bit larger..to get the wing loading down a bit more..at 30" I am at the top end of the recommeded wing loading. However the beast weighs in at 16oz auw ...my motor puts out 26oz thrust ...so it will go ok, but might not be as floaty as the proper superfly is..

edit.... now flown...4oz overweight to optimum... extra weight due to using a larger battery and a removable U/C ....again a success
nice....no problems ...
Last edited by davereap; Oct 06, 2008 at 07:32 AM.
Old Oct 06, 2008, 10:43 PM
The Ultimate Interceptor!
United States, CA, Hilmar-Irwin
Joined Dec 2004
829 Posts
Thanks for the help Davereap...

I was pulling my hair out... Come to find out, SU has problems with putting faces on small parts and I had rescaled the drawing. Once I recaled back up all was good and I'm making progress...
DeltaDart is offline Find More Posts by DeltaDart
Old Oct 07, 2008, 05:23 PM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,986 Posts
Wow! Wish I had come across this thread when it started. Would have saved me lots of time, specially the mirror trick. Don't know how I missed all those Superfly posts either.

One question: Does anybody know if it's possible to change the default font size for DIMENSION so I don't have to keep editing ENTITY INFO?

Thanks,
-Rich
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Old Oct 07, 2008, 11:55 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaDart
Thanks for the help Davereap...

I was pulling my hair out... Come to find out, SU has problems with putting faces on small parts and I had rescaled the drawing. Once I recaled back up all was good and I'm making progress...
Good to know.... I was having the same issues as you when I was drawing a servo to get used to SU before tackling a "real" model. I'll try scaling up, then back down.

Also any "best practices" for making parts like servos, motors, etc to use in later models? When I used AutoCAD, I made all my parts in layer 0 so it would insert into a new drawing properly.

Great Tutorial so far!
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Oct 08, 2008, 05:31 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,004 Posts
rich smith... I have looked at your problem but I have no answer to it...sorry..thats not to say there is no answer..

like your deltas...as you can tell I go for them, and wings myself. and now also build everything with KF steps...and, if you havnt tried them, check out the nutball...also great

rcav8r2....best practice is to download bits that are already made then modify them..
There is a lot of servos , motors etc on this thread. saves a lot of time

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826409

download parts and then copy into a new folder in where sketchup has its components. you can simplify them if you like to keep the overall model manageable..
Too much detail on small parts is not needed.
It is extreemly detrimental if you are going to try to get your model into a flight sim.. The conversion program I use (xmodder) will not handle too many points/surfaces..

I have been looking without success for a plugin that will work out the AUW weight of my model...but its not the sort of thing most sketchup designers would find a use for..the nearest plug in is a cost estimate, it might be possible to use this, but assign weights represented by dollars (whatever) to each component/part.
I was hopeing to design the model add all the components, then get an AUW resulting weight..
Last edited by davereap; Oct 08, 2008 at 09:03 AM.
Old Oct 08, 2008, 04:39 PM
7000mw of raw power!
Joined Dec 2006
5,986 Posts
Yeah Dave, I was afraid of that. I think if you don't know then it can't be done. I'm wasting huge amounts of time re-sizing dimensions. Maybe future version.

Been reading these threads for years, how did I miss all those neat wings. NB looks so easy to build and they rave about it's performance. Gotta do one. And it's good ol' Goldguy. Man! Frank has ideas and techniques so close to my own I sometimes think it's me posting. I wanna be VP "Fun per Buck Club".

P.S. Is there FMS model for Superfly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
rich smith... I have looked at your problem but I have no answer to it...sorry..thats not to say there is no answer..

like your deltas...as you can tell I go for them, and wings myself. and now also build everything with KF steps...and, if you havnt tried them, check out the nutball...also great
Old Oct 08, 2008, 05:00 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined Mar 2006
896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich smith
One question: Does anybody know if it's possible to change the default font size for DIMENSION so I don't have to keep editing ENTITY INFO?
Hi Rich,
Is the following quote applicable to your issue - "You can change the font from Window | Model Info, select dimensions, and then set the font. Note that using this dialog, you can change all the dimensions you've already made as well."

Cheers!
golem is offline Find More Posts by golem
Old Oct 08, 2008, 05:26 PM
7000mw of raw power!
Joined Dec 2006
5,986 Posts
Golem,

That is exactly what I needed. Thank you for helping. I feel so stupid wasting all those hours editing ENTITY INFO. I now see that trick was in HELP but it only works when online which is not often for me. Even then hard to find. You have saved me much time and effort.

This thread is excellent. Should be a sticky. The "PhlatBoyz" and parts threads were not helpful at all. The hint about updating size of entire drawing was also a life saver. Thanks Dave and Golem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golem
Hi Rich,
Is the following quote applicable to your issue - "You can change the font from Window | Model Info, select dimensions, and then set the font. Note that using this dialog, you can change all the dimensions you've already made as well."

Cheers!
Old Oct 08, 2008, 06:10 PM
Joined Oct 2004
450 Posts
Is there any way to print out a drawing without getting all the extra whitespace around the edges? It seems like no matter how small a drawing I am printing out it gives me 4 pages with the object in the four adjoining corners of the pages, even if it would have easily fit on one page.

I am talking about printing something 1 to 1 like an airplane plan.
Thanks
adamdb is offline Find More Posts by adamdb
Old Oct 09, 2008, 03:27 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,004 Posts
rich...ive only just started with sketchup myself...so I dont know anything..This thread was to post usefull bits as I found them out so I am glad you all are posting now.
the more brains the better.

.thanks golem for helping rich with his problem...keep posting any usefull info..

tried exporting the plan as a 2d graphic.. then photo edit, crop.. then print..that might do it......NO, THIS NO GOOD ...not scaled and it has the sketchup colouring on sheet, not just lines

I have tried all ways to get rid of the extra and wasted pages,but with cutewriter I cant see how to do it. It likes to have the output centralised.
Cutewriter will put the output to a single page, its done in its print settings...check the correct box there, or check the model extent and set your scale 1:1 for full size..use preview to view your results

It does the job however.. and at least you can put the unused pages back through your printer. You can also select what pages to print, so if some have nothing, or very little on them, why not just not print them?

tips .....put the tracings into wireframe mode then it will just print the lines. with no shadings or faces printed...and use preview...select your pages for printing
heres the rough output lines for a 34" superfly..
Last edited by davereap; Oct 09, 2008 at 06:00 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2008, 08:36 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,004 Posts
heres my delta doing its thing...only fault ..it wobbles at very very slow speeds in high alpha...I have the vertical fins too small for ultra slow flight

RC Delta KFm4 (7 min 46 sec)