HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2009, 09:41 PM
Dude! Where's my plane?
Joined Jan 2006
7 Posts
NC Output?

What a great resource for those without access to a CAD software. Very potent. After reading the first 8 pages of posts and doing a search on the thread I am wondering if anyone knows of a way to get Numerical Control type output for use on computerized machining devices? I'm thinking hotwire or 2D routers which can be driven in simple X-Y coordinates.

Happy New Year all............
Left Winger is offline Find More Posts by Left Winger
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2009, 10:28 PM
If it flies, I will crash it
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,040 Posts
If you are working with flat parts in foam or balsa/ply have a look at this thread. Build Log - PHLATPRINTER BUILD THREAD – The Scratchbuilder’s New Best Friend! . They have some plugins that will allow you to export g-code that can be directly added to your Controller program to cut parts with. The plugins can be used with other machines and not just the Phlatprinter. The Phlatprinter itself is a real nice machine so the thread is worth a look.

Here is a link to Mark & Trish's site. PhlatBoyz.com . You can find info on the plugins there as well as video's that show how to use it.

I am not sure if there is stuff out there for 3D code but there might be. You could always export files and then load them into another program. Have a look at this thread, Discussion - Hobbycnc Pro 4 axis CNC Chopper Driver build step by step & more . Bill goes into software options starting on page 8, post 118. He covers allot of stuff there and it is some good info.

Hope this helps a little.

Rob...
mxspode is offline Find More Posts by mxspode
Old Jan 02, 2009, 11:06 PM
Joined Jan 2003
45 Posts
ok, I've been beating my head against a wall on the SU and it just occured to me that there are some "Fantastic" 3D aircraft models already out there.

Can't we take them and use some of the plugins to tear them apart? IE make the ribs, etc... into a flat printout?

Here are some examples of great 3D work for SU Planes:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...5&prevstart=24

I know how to easily scale the WS down to the size I need. Question now is finding the tools to slice and unfold the models into 2D so we can print them and build them. Am right in my thinking here??? or have I just been banging my head on the computer too long.

Thanks,

Ray
cottenr is offline Find More Posts by cottenr
Old Jan 03, 2009, 01:24 AM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
AS you can tell from my earlier post I am no expert, but I do know there are plug-ins that will help you slice and unfold. Links are posted earlier in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottenr
ok, I've been beating my head against a wall on the SU and it just occured to me that there are some "Fantastic" 3D aircraft models already out there.

Can't we take them and use some of the plugins to tear them apart? IE make the ribs, etc... into a flat printout?

Here are some examples of great 3D work for SU Planes:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...5&prevstart=24

I know how to easily scale the WS down to the size I need. Question now is finding the tools to slice and unfold the models into 2D so we can print them and build them. Am right in my thinking here??? or have I just been banging my head on the computer too long.

Thanks,

Ray
larryross is offline Find More Posts by larryross
Old Jan 03, 2009, 02:18 AM
Joined Jul 2008
84 Posts
I did a Search on this thread and didn't see Truespace mentioned, so it's probably worth pointing out that Truespace 7 is now being offered for FREE! I haven't used Truespace since the '90s (back when it's modeling toolbox was rather limited), but the latest version appears to have fairly powerful NURBS capabilities (probably a lot better than Sketchup's Bezier curves.) I probably won't get around to downloading TS7 for at least a few weeks, but if anyone has experience with it, how does it's NURBS compare to Rhino and MoI?

Check out TS7 here...
http://www.caligari.com/products/tru...Modeling_nurbs

Steve S.
Steven S is offline Find More Posts by Steven S
Old Jan 03, 2009, 08:53 AM
-+- PhlatBoyz -+-
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2003
1,333 Posts
Quote:
This place has all the tools you need to do just what you want and there are already a ton of free plans finshed. www.phlatforum.com They also have a lot of plane making SketchUp tutorials as well.
Hope this helps you out
Mark
kram242 is offline Find More Posts by kram242
Old Jan 06, 2009, 05:42 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,029 Posts
well worth joing the forum above.... loads of info there
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Old Jan 06, 2009, 07:33 AM
-+- PhlatBoyz -+-
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2003
1,333 Posts
Thanks Dave we are new, but growing leaps and bounds thanks to you guys
Old Jan 07, 2009, 03:04 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Nov 2007
382 Posts
Can Sketchup do this ?

Can anyone tell me if a design similar to what was done here can be done on Sketchup.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...27&postcount=1

This design was neat to build and produced a nice strong fuze....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=65

I just downloaded the software and have tried manipulating a three view of a corsair. (yes I do realize there are a lot of them already out there but I thought I would need to start from scratch to do the fuze as above)

So, can the "slice" tool do what I need to do and must I tell Scketchup that I want the slices to be 5mm (I'm using $tree foam that is slightly thinner than 6mm Depron) ?

Thanks for any help, suggestions, demos, etc...
cbr600f2 is offline Find More Posts by cbr600f2
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2009, 04:14 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined May 2005
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr600f2
Can anyone tell me if a design similar to what was done here can be done on Sketchup.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...27&postcount=1

This design was neat to build and produced a nice strong fuze....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=65

I just downloaded the software and have tried manipulating a three view of a corsair. (yes I do realize there are a lot of them already out there but I thought I would need to start from scratch to do the fuze as above)

So, can the "slice" tool do what I need to do and must I tell Scketchup that I want the slices to be 5mm (I'm using $tree foam that is slightly thinner than 6mm Depron) ?

Thanks for any help, suggestions, demos, etc...
The slicer tool is perfect for this. I've been thinking about making a plane with that kind of design too. I thought it was very clever how he did it.
You got the right idea, 5mm slices. Make sure the slices are in the right orientation (X=red, y=green, z=blue).
3DMON is online now Find More Posts by 3DMON
Old Jan 07, 2009, 04:34 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Nov 2007
382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMON
The slicer tool is perfect for this. I've been thinking about making a plane with that kind of design too. I thought it was very clever how he did it.
You got the right idea, 5mm slices. Make sure the slices are in the right orientation (X=red, y=green, z=blue).

Anyone care to show me a demo ?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2009, 05:37 PM
-+- PhlatBoyz -+-
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2003
1,333 Posts
Hello cbr600f2,
I made this exact plane up a while back for SketchUp and I have it on the www.phlatforum.com under the Free plans/single wing aircraft section. Under the name Slice Plane.

You are welcome to it. Included are all the cut files you need as well.
Have fun.
Mark
Here is a screenshot of the 3D SketchUp model.
Old Jan 07, 2009, 05:42 PM
Erik with a K
Toledo, OH
Joined Aug 2007
1,123 Posts
Not a demo of slicing, but another P51 done w/ Sketchup...
http://foamcasualty.com/blog_p51d.shtml
The file for an example is also on here as well...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=159
tvcasualty is offline Find More Posts by tvcasualty
Old Jan 07, 2009, 06:00 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,566 Posts
There was another P-51 done that way here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859736
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68
Old Jan 07, 2009, 06:37 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Nov 2007
382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kram242
Hello cbr600f2,
I made this exact plane up a while back for SketchUp and I have it on the www.phlatforum.com under the Free plans/single wing aircraft section. Under the name Slice Plane.

You are welcome to it. Included are all the cut files you need as well.
Have fun.
Mark
Here is a screenshot of the 3D SketchUp model.

Kram242 are you XXL66 ??? I see that in the pic you added has that user name in the upper corner. If so I wanted to say thanks for the original Sliced Mustang design. I've completed the build (see the second link in my post above) and am waiting for the weather to break to maiden her. (uh, if your not the same person, then I'm confused)

Also, I registerd on Phlatforum yesterday from work and was able to log in immediately. When I got home I could not get in and still can't tonight, dispite heeding your warnigns to delete my cookies. What should I do ? re -register ??
RCG Plus Member