Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 08, 2008, 10:48 AM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eberwein
I think it should be ready for a Christmas present this year. I hope!
YES!!! I'll be waiting
mike3976 is offline Find More Posts by mike3976
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2008, 10:48 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
Mark - I have an ACE type plane already - it's called a Stevens Aero SHAFT. And it comes with the stab removable as part of the design. I just like my EZ Scout so much that I took it to Santa Fe recently and didn't take the SHAFT. Fortunately the tail fit in my golf case (used to check models on airline flights) without a mod - barely.

In general to make a pack-flat plane only one tail surface needs to be made removable. I've done the removable horizontal stabilizer mod to the SB, the SmoothE and the Dandy in the past. The SB is by far the easiest to do (I did it on the Sr. as well) because of how the stab mounts.

Ric - a motor mount box and backup structure that replaces the Swiss cheese (with square holes) formers that hold the "stick" is exactly the sort of thing I'm thinking. Perhaps it could be done in such a way that it simply replaced the formers that are there so that the fuselage sides in particular would not need changing. Then it could be retrofit to existing (unbuit) kits. Now THAT would be lovely as I have a SmoothE and and Dandy Sport (and replacement fuselages for each) in my kit stash.

I haven't built the Tyro 100 yet but yes, making it plug-n-play for the 28mm diameter outrunner style rear mount as well (just like the EZs are) would be great. (Suppo 22xx, AXi 22xx, Himax 28xx, Scorpion 22xx, Hacker A20, Hyperion 23xx, etc., etc.)

I seem to be much better at suggesting incremental improvements than completely new ideas.....

It's funny - before laser-cut kits, mods like these would have been considered simple and straightforward. But building kits with parts that JUST FIT sure spoils one....
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Sep 19, 2008, 03:01 PM
Motor Maniac
Orange County, CA
Joined Feb 2002
2,875 Posts
Okay, where is the "GT" wing for the EVA? I've got the bipe, 3D, and sport wings, but it still needs one more wing set to round it out. A GT-type wing for the SB Sr. would really interest me as well.
10Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by 10Thumbs
Old Sep 21, 2008, 04:13 PM
BYOP - Build Your Own Planes
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Mar 2001
1,721 Posts
Well, now that the Lucky ACE and L4 were released at NEAT and posted up on our web site, it's time to start working on something new. (or continue working on something(s) already started.

10Thumbs, I will look at the GT wings on the EVA. Honestly, I am thinking about replacing the 3D wings with the "GT/3D" wing. It all depends on how it works out.

On retrofitting the old kits for outrunners, I do have a stick to outrunner adapter that should be on the web site shortly. It seems to work with all the kits, but I still have to check a couple kits.

Floats are definitely going to happen. I'll work on both built up and foam versions and see which I like more.

Brian
Mountain Models is offline Find More Posts by Mountain Models
Old Oct 07, 2008, 07:19 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,352 Posts
Quote:

10Thumbs, I will look at the GT wings on the EVA. Honestly, I am thinking about replacing the 3D wings with the "GT/3D" wing. It all depends on how it works out.

On retrofitting the old kits for outrunners, I do have a stick to outrunner adapter that should be on the web site shortly. It seems to work with all the kits, but I still have to check a couple kits.

Floats are definitely going to happen. I'll work on both built up and foam versions and see which I like more.

Brian
Please do the EVA GT wing. I would like it to be a double taper like a pattern ship or an Extra. Ohhh, you could make Extra wing set, Edge wing set, pattern wing set...... (I do have time to Beta a wing set for you )

I would like some floats for my Switchback!

I have been using the axi stick mount on the switchback and it works quite well. The problem I have is it loostens over time (read crashes) and it no longer maintains thrust angles I dial in. So a firewall would allow more precise setup for me. I also have a Himax 2812-850 that I run in a Switchback sometimes and there I have no options for setting thrust angle. Just trying to get those up lines perfect
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Oct 11, 2008, 08:36 PM
It's a BIG park
Killeen/Ft. Hood
Joined Apr 2007
1,088 Posts
Brian,
Any chance you'll do a larger Bipe ?
Upsize the EVA ?
Ric
PrkFlyrRic is offline Find More Posts by PrkFlyrRic
Old Oct 13, 2008, 01:23 PM
Joined Mar 2001
1,721 Posts
JimTMich,

Thanks to Ric sending email after email with float information, we are working on floats in a few sizes. I didn't really like the first build of the first set, so I am tweaking things. I'm working on laser cut balsa floats right now, but will also cut out some easy to finish foam floats as well.

Ric,

Well, an EVA is kind of a downsized ETana, so it kind of works in reverse and you already have an upsized "EVA".

I don't know about a larger Bipe. Bipes are fun once you get all the bugs worked out (and there are a lot of things that always need tweaking), but they do take a lot longer to develop.

Also, after you told me where your previous "ACE" style planes are, being replaced with the ACE, I may have to move the different sizes of it up in the project que.

General Banter,

There is another plane in the works that is going to be a bit different than what's out there now...

47", 425 sq in, 28 oz or so, low wing double taper, symmetrical airfoil, trike or taildragger options, and even (are you ready Joe?) Retract options for both trike and taildragger. I'm thinking Scorpion 3008 (300 to 400 watts) with 4S for 65 to 80 MPH and 36 to 40 oz of thrust. It's more of a "Sport Pattern" plane than a true pattern plane, but I think you guys will like it. Especially you Joe.

Brian
Old Oct 13, 2008, 07:52 PM
It's a BIG park
Killeen/Ft. Hood
Joined Apr 2007
1,088 Posts
Quote:
JimTMich,
Thanks to Ric sending email after email with float information, we are working on floats in a few sizes.

Quote:
Ric,
Well, an EVA is kind of a downsized ETana, so it kind of works in reverse and you already have an upsized "EVA".
I don't know about a larger Bipe. Bipes are fun once you get all the bugs worked out (and there are a lot of things that always need tweaking), but they do take a lot longer to develop.
So maybe you'll look at a add-on top wing for the Etana ?

Quote:
Also, after you told me where your previous "ACE" style planes are, being replaced with the ACE, I may have to move the different sizes of it up in the project que.
Which also means I have a complete set of HS-81's, RX, 300-400watt Motor, and 35amp ESC hanging around with nothing to do....
PrkFlyrRic is offline Find More Posts by PrkFlyrRic
Old Oct 13, 2008, 09:16 PM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
366 Posts
Sport Pattern at that size would be great! I've been hoping for something light in that range.
scottflight is offline Find More Posts by scottflight
Old Oct 13, 2008, 09:41 PM
God is my pilot
Joined Aug 2006
2,352 Posts
Quote:
[General Banter,

There is another plane in the works that is going to be a bit different than what's out there now...

47", 425 sq in, 28 oz or so, low wing double taper, symmetrical airfoil, trike or taildragger options, and even (are you ready Joe?) Retract options for both trike and taildragger. I'm thinking Scorpion 3008 (300 to 400 watts) with 4S for 65 to 80 MPH and 36 to 40 oz of thrust. It's more of a "Sport Pattern" plane than a true pattern plane, but I think you guys will like it. Especially you Joe.

Brian
Sounds like fun!
Old Oct 13, 2008, 10:13 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,217 Posts
This plane is gonna be beyond cool. I'm going looking for retracts right now!

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Oct 13, 2008, 11:10 PM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,070 Posts
Quote:
Honestly, I am thinking about replacing the 3D wings with the "GT/3D" wing.
Cool Assume you mean a another set of ribs and maybe an optional extra bay on each side? That would sway me toward an EVA . Need a smaller plane as I retired the miniFlash, but don't want a bipe, trainer, or 3D wings... Been a long time coming!

The 47" "Sport Pattern" plane also peaks my interest. .
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Old Oct 14, 2008, 05:49 PM
Joined Mar 2001
1,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclark
Cool Assume you mean a another set of ribs and maybe an optional extra bay on each side? That would sway me toward an EVA .
The wing would be longer and be tapered. I'm not sure if only the TE would be tapered, or both the LE and TE yet.

Quote:
The 47" "Sport Pattern" plane also peaks my interest.
I don't think there's an electric that will look quite like it out there right now. So, I think it'll be different enough to be interesting.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 07:19 PM
God is my pilot
Joined Aug 2006
2,352 Posts
Quote:
The wing would be longer and be tapered. I'm not sure if only the TE would be tapered, or both the LE and TE yet.
Whatever helps it track would be my vote (that's a le taper correct?) Do I get a ballot? So I vote double taper.

I had my EVA 3D out on 14 gusting to 20 and variable direction last week and was getting bumped around. Makes tree lined culdasak landing a challenge. So I can use all the help I can get.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 10:29 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
Quote:
The 47" "Sport Pattern" plane also peaks my interest. .
That would be a bit smaller and lighter and more flexible than this one that Ken Myers (Ampeer) loves so much: http://www.electroflying.com/fusion.html

I've built the eSKA. These are also nice kits.....

But a retract option? Hmmmm........
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC