HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2009, 09:59 PM
did a reversed Immelman..once.
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,254 Posts
Mini-Flash..a good sport flyer..

It seems the Mini-Flash isn't as popular as it once was...I don't know why 'cause this little plane can be alot of fun,this is my second & I enjoy flying it as much as any of the others.It certainly requires you to be 'on the sticks' at all times,but I like it that way.I think I've got a great motor combo also,I used the 20mm 4200kv Mamba,with 4.27:1 gearing...10X8 prop with TP1320s (168 watts @ 15.8 oz.)& I get about 13-14 minutes of wild antics...not 3D stuff...just manuvers that not many other planes are capable of.
Brian,I would think this would be a good one to update, ...maybe tweak the design a bit & maybe offer a Maxi-Flash.No other kit manufacturer offers such a plane as the Mini..

Well MM fans...whatcha think..??
SKYPILEIT is offline Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2009, 12:16 AM
Kennesaw, Georgia
Joined Jul 2007
1,752 Posts
I decided to take the plunge and ordered the eva 3d as my first kit built plane. I'm a little torn on the optimal power setup for her though. I saw that MM recommended a 100 watt outrunner and that the plane was ~16-17 oz auw. I would assume I should have a bit more power as I'm used to flying 3d on upwards of 150 W/lb, although I don't want to add too much weight to the plane.

I happen to have on hand a spare rimfire 28-30-950 outrunner which is a tad heavier than the custom CDR double stator at ~54g. This motor should put out about 150 watts and keep the plane at ~ 145 Watts / lb. I believe the motor box may need a center hole cut out for the back end of the motor shaft as well.

I mainly wanted to run this choice by you guys who have more experience with these mm planes and see if you think this would work out well. I appreciate any help you all can offer.

Here is a link to the motor: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLWT6&P=ML

-Zero
Zero3803 is offline Find More Posts by Zero3803
Old Apr 15, 2009, 12:52 AM
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,254 Posts
Zero...that motor will work fine,I also have a few of the Electri-fly outrunners & they're good motors.They use a 3 screw style plate,so it should bolt right up to the MM supplied mount....155 watts will fly it nicely.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 01:29 PM
Kennesaw, Georgia
Joined Jul 2007
1,752 Posts
Well my eva 3d is all built sans covering and it looks great. I was just about to ca the anti-rotation dowels in the wings, and decided to try the blind nuts just for kicks. I then noticed none of my blind nuts match up with the screws that were given to me in the kit. I then tried as many similar sized screws as I could find (4-40, etc..) and nothing will mate correctly with the blind nuts. I guess my option here would be to either go out to the hobbystore and buy just about every size of similar screw and hope I find one that works, or just buy a set of 4-40 blind nuts and replace all the ones in the airframe. Luckily I didn't glue any of them down yet, so it shouldn't be too hard. Any opinions?

Also unfortunately, the motor mount for the rimfire motor is far too large for the motor box on the eva. I'll either have to rig up a way to mount it differently, or go w/ a diff. motor.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 01:42 PM
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,254 Posts
Hmm..can't help you with the screws..maybe you could PM Brian or just send a direct e-mail.The 28mm X 30mm motor mount is too big.?Don't the instructions include a pattern of which to transfer hole locations to a small piece of ply for mounting.?If you can't use that motor,just refer to the classified ads here on RC Groups,I'm sure someone will trade your motor for something that mounts more easily.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 02:27 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,325 Posts
Zero,

Is there a chance you got some CA in the blind nut threads? Try running the screw in from the backside to hopefully clean it out. I've had some brand new Dubro blind nuts that gave me fits because they didn't seem to be cleanly threaded. Running the screw from the back took care of it.

For the motor mount I've had the same situation. I just made a plate to screw to the mount that I could then screw the motor to. I'll dig through my files and see If I have a picture of what I did. If not I'll pull the cowl off of one of my EVA's and post a picture.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Apr 19, 2009, 03:17 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,325 Posts
I finally got some pictures. I hope you can see what I did. Ignore the steerable nose gear. That's my own mod not a new EVA version.

Joe
Old Apr 19, 2009, 03:31 PM
Kennesaw, Georgia
Joined Jul 2007
1,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe
Zero,

Is there a chance you got some CA in the blind nut threads? Try running the screw in from the backside to hopefully clean it out. I've had some brand new Dubro blind nuts that gave me fits because they didn't seem to be cleanly threaded. Running the screw from the back took care of it.

For the motor mount I've had the same situation. I just made a plate to screw to the mount that I could then screw the motor to. I'll dig through my files and see If I have a picture of what I did. If not I'll pull the cowl off of one of my EVA's and post a picture.

Joe
I hadn't glued them in yet, and it was the same situation for one that was still remaining in the bag. All 7 blind nuts won't take a screw.

Appreciate the motor mount pictures, I'll have to do that.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 03:36 PM
All Things RC
Rolla Missouri
Joined Feb 2009
129 Posts
Hey all you MM fans. I am new to the MM family and I just wanted to show you my first of hopefully many MM kits. This is my Etana. I have a Park 480, HS81 on rudder, and HS 56's on everything else. I use different 2000-2200 3s lipos and it flies awesome!

I recently added some square patterns to the bottom of the wing to help with orientation. I couldn't have asked for a better plane. This thing rocks!
forwardonly is offline Find More Posts by forwardonly
Old Apr 19, 2009, 03:57 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,325 Posts
Zero,

That's strange. Maybe Brian's supplier slipped in some metric items. Anything is possible I guess.

forwardonly,

Very nice cover scheme. That'll be easy to see for sure! And no, this won't be your last Mountain Models kit! They're the balsa equivalent of crack!

Joe
Old Apr 19, 2009, 06:27 PM
All Things RC
Rolla Missouri
Joined Feb 2009
129 Posts
[ They're the balsa equivalent of crack! ]

The drug or the cleavage!?!?!?!
forwardonly is offline Find More Posts by forwardonly
Old Apr 20, 2009, 07:01 AM
Always room for improvement...
Schertz, TX
Joined Jun 2004
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero3803
Well my eva 3d is all built sans covering and it looks great. I was just about to ca the anti-rotation dowels in the wings, and decided to try the blind nuts just for kicks. I then noticed none of my blind nuts match up with the screws that were given to me in the kit. I then tried as many similar sized screws as I could find (4-40, etc..) and nothing will mate correctly with the blind nuts. I guess my option here would be to either go out to the hobbystore and buy just about every size of similar screw and hope I find one that works, or just buy a set of 4-40 blind nuts and replace all the ones in the airframe. Luckily I didn't glue any of them down yet, so it shouldn't be too hard. Any opinions?
I remember having that problem with the blind nuts on my wings, but only on my sport wings. Not the 3D wings. For mine, the screws would start to thread, but met heavier and heavier resistance where I wasn't feeling like I could safely get them in all the way. I carefully ran a 4-40 tap through the blind nut and all was well. I'm not sure if it was rough threads or perhaps I slightly deformed it when hitting it with the hammer to get it in to the ply or what. It didn't take much effort and if felt like there was a rough spot in there when I did it. (Maybe CA for me?)

See what Brian says first before doing this, in case he did change the thread size or something.
der Oberflügel is offline Find More Posts by der Oberflügel
Old Apr 20, 2009, 01:58 PM
Kennesaw, Georgia
Joined Jul 2007
1,752 Posts
I just decided to pull the installed blind nuts and put in some 4-40 ones from the hobby store. Took a little careful work getting them out of the tight spots, but all went well. All that is left to do now is to cover the elevator/h-stab and ailerons, trim the canopy and glue it on, and mount the electronics. This was my first attempt at building and or covering a plane, and I'm fairly happy with the results as it stand now. I still have to work some bubbles out of the metal flake red and finish the color scheme across the fuse and rear of the plane. Here's a picture of it right now.

I love the way these things just fit so well together. I'm definitely hooked.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:45 PM
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2008
1,226 Posts
Just finished my Tyro.

Starting my Dandy Sport. I have the fuselage well underway.

Really enjoying building these Mountain Models planes.

Now I just gotta learn how to fly them!
slappySF is offline Find More Posts by slappySF
Old Apr 21, 2009, 09:05 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,325 Posts
Believe it or not the Dandy is actually easier to build than the Tyro! Needs almost no power to fly well. Just like the Tyro. Maybe 75 watts or so for acceptable performance. With the Tyro and Dandy you picked about the best there is for built up NON ARF trainer aircraft kits! Next Mountain Models step for you will be the SwitchBack Senior and/or the Tyro 150. After that the FireStorm with retracts when Brian is confident that it is ready for release. My prototype FireStorm flies absolutely awesome!

Joe