Old Sep 04, 2008, 05:42 PM
don't feed the zombies!
ERAU in Prescott, AZ
Joined Feb 2007
333 Posts
Contest
Scratch-Build-Off 3 - Waco 10 / GXE at 1/10 scale

Okay, I'll post this thead now to force me to commit to this project

I'll be doing a Waco 10 (also known as a Waco GXE although this naming convention wasn't adopted until later IIRC). The model 10 was manufactered by the Advance Aircraft Company (the official name of the firm from 1924-29), and was the firms best-selling model with over 1100 examples being produced from 1927 to 1930.

The airplane I will be modeling is the one I found on Airliners.net, a 1928 model 10 powered by a Curtiss OXX-6 engine.

Specs on the full scale:
30' 7" wingspan
23' 6" length
2,025 lb gross weight
100 hp (Curtiss OXX-6)
$2,640 factory price (1927)

Specs on the model:
1/10 scale
36.7" wingspan
27.8" length
14-15 oz RTF goal
GWS EPS-300 "B" gear on 2 cells & GWS 10x4.7
$???

My goal here is primarily to end up with a good-flying lazy airplane that resembles a full-scale in some way, so the level of detailing I am able/willing to do has yet to be determined .

I have found a reasonable amount of photos searching around (more when searching for 'Waco GXE'), however I haven't yet found any 3-views. If I have to I'll just build from the photos using TLAR, but a 3-view would be nice if anyone has/can find one...

Ryan
myplanesfearme is offline Find More Posts by myplanesfearme
Last edited by myplanesfearme; Jan 16, 2009 at 06:19 PM. Reason: change category to contest
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2008, 07:26 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,229 Posts
The nose should house a geared inrunner well, plane has character.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Sep 04, 2008, 11:17 PM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
What a beauty!

Gorgeous plane!

Totally love the cowl!

I just committed too! (gulp) for multiple projects! (Yikes)

Don't know if you have access to or are interested in vacuum forming that cowl, but if so, PM me...

This will be my first scale contest ever and I'm already excited about the energy here in the scale forum... Seems to be a nice bunch of guys!

Can't wait to get started!

Good luck!

(and again... GREAT PLANE! I can imagine it flying like you described... lazy (in a wonderful way) graceful as in slow enough to enjoy the sight and the flying!

Richard
jarel design is offline Find More Posts by jarel design
Old Sep 05, 2008, 06:07 AM
Veni, Vidi, Napi
Cumming, GA
Joined Sep 2004
477 Posts
Cleveland lists a plan for the Model 10.

Cleveland Plans

Tom
catrancher is offline Find More Posts by catrancher
Old Sep 05, 2008, 03:38 PM
don't feed the zombies!
ERAU in Prescott, AZ
Joined Feb 2007
333 Posts
Thanks for the input guys!

I really do like the look of the plane; it just personifies the Golden Age to me. I hope it flies that way to!!

Richard- my original thinking is that the nose bowl would be carved and painted blue foam and the rest of the cowl could be done with card stock or similar, but a vac-formed cowl would be nice! We'll see how the build progresses; I'm definitely open to any options at this point.

Tom- I'll definely look into those if nothing else comes up later.

Ryan
Old Sep 05, 2008, 03:41 PM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,285 Posts
Dont know if this will help , but here it is...RTR http://www.hobby-lobby.com/waco.htm
realtimerecon is online now Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Sep 05, 2008, 03:58 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,727 Posts
That RTF is definitely a later model than the Model 10, which used an in-line engine. Looks like a UMF/YMF.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Sep 05, 2008, 04:01 PM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
Vacuum forming

Hi Ryan,

Just so you know, I'm not in the business of providing vacuum forming services... If you check out my website (www.jareldesign.com), I use this process a lot in prototype development and have three machines... I'm so used to it that I design my planes around it... Takes longer to build the first one, but when (never if, eh?)... When, I crash, it's simple to replace parts..

Since I spend so much time in the studio, I don't get out much and don't know if anyone provides these services... I had been speaking with Mike about figuring out some cheap way to offer vacuum forming to contestants as an incentive to enter the build off... saw your cowl and thought that would be a perfect candidate!

I haven't figured out quite how to set up the offer, but I'm thinking of several contestants providing their molds/bucks and "ganging them all up on the machine so that the cost is split between a group possibly bringing the cost down to $5 -$10 per part? Yours would be a right and left split...

Anyway, just decided like you to enter and will be using vacuum forming heavily and wanted to offer access to those that might not otherwise have the equipment...

Still love your choice!

God! This is so much fun watching so many people come out of the wood work to enter! When I lived in LA I was surrounded by a large flying community/buddies etc... here in Southern Oregon, I haven't met many fliers and miss the comradeship!

Good Luck! Looking forward to watching your thread!

(I need to decide what I'm doing... I'm planning on producing kits of whatever I enter... REAL simple and quick to build with lots of vacuum formed detail parts.. basically, if you can build a box, you can build a dream machine... Originally, I had planned on an OV-10, a Beechcraft Model 18 and a Apitfire... Thinking there's too many spitfires and not enough Grumman Albatrosses or Cessna Skymasters... hmmm 4 entries? I must be nuts, but I sure love this and this contest is a great way to set up deadlines for these projects that I already have slated to build.... amazing what a contest will do! lol!

Bye!

Richard
jarel design is offline Find More Posts by jarel design
Old Sep 05, 2008, 05:37 PM
don't feed the zombies!
ERAU in Prescott, AZ
Joined Feb 2007
333 Posts
Richard- That idea actually sounds pretty good! Also like you mentioned it would be very easy to repair crash damage (I could use that...) or even build multiple airframes. I'd be open to a deal like that depending on circumstances.

Wow 4 entries? I can barely commit to this one around school (and I build remarkably slow). Anyway good luck with those builds; a Grumman Albatross would be great!

Ryan
Old Sep 05, 2008, 06:49 PM
MINUS (-)
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Nov 2002
180 Posts
Ryan,
I thought that plane looked familar, there is one in the Hiller museum near to where I live. Let me know if you need a close up of a particular part.
Looking through my pictures I noticed that I shot a photo of one at Old Rhinebeck also.
This is the before picture:
http://www.oldrhinebeck.org/collecti.../Waco%2010.htm
John
jsfrench is offline Find More Posts by jsfrench
Old Sep 06, 2008, 11:51 PM
don't feed the zombies!
ERAU in Prescott, AZ
Joined Feb 2007
333 Posts
Thanks for those pics John,

I saw the Model 10 on Old Rhinebeck's site and have been there once or twice, but don't have any pics of it (it was the OX-5 version IIRC). Those dents aren't that hard to do on the model really, just a couple well-executed nose-overs and voila!

That -10 at the Hiller Museum is pretty! At this point I haven't come across any three-views, so if you could get a kinda-planview shot of the tailplane and wingtips that could be of great help. (Don't worry about it if there's an exibit in the way or something...)

There's still 2 1/2 months before I can start, so don't go out of your way too much-

Thanks,
Ryan
Old Sep 10, 2008, 09:46 PM
Malanda, QLD Australia
Joined Jul 2004
975 Posts
Hi Ryan,
Check your PMs, I have drawings...
Rich
Zephyr41 is offline Find More Posts by Zephyr41
Old Sep 11, 2008, 01:14 AM
don't feed the zombies!
ERAU in Prescott, AZ
Joined Feb 2007
333 Posts
Thanks Rich- pm sent.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 02:13 PM
don't feed the zombies!
ERAU in Prescott, AZ
Joined Feb 2007
333 Posts
A quick update-

No progress yet due to final exams - most likely I wont be able to actually start until early Jan. when I return to ERAU and settle back into 'the routine'.

Also due to the recent untimely demise of my most-flown airplane I'll be trying to handle two projects side by side this spring, so don't expect the kind of blazing progress some of the builders are achieving . I just hope that by the end of May I'll have something flyable.

Anyway my family and I are planning a road trip up to the Spruce Goose museum over Cristmas break, and I found out there's a Waco 10 there . Pictures will be taken.

Ryan
Old Dec 10, 2008, 07:10 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by myplanesfearme
Anyway my family and I are planning a road trip up to the Spruce Goose museum over Cristmas break, and I found out there's a Waco 10 there . Pictures will be taken.

Ryan
Ryan,

Besides the Evergreen Musuem , there is the Tillamook Naval Airstation Museum out toward the coast, the Pearson Air Museum across the river from Portland, and the Western Antique Aeroplane & Automobile Museum in Hood River.

Granted, they're not all "visitable" in one day, but each museum has several treasures just itching to be modeled!

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce