Old Sep 04, 2008, 12:24 PM
UAS Pilot/Tech Instructor
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2000
1,441 Posts
Discussion
Nitikin-Shevchenko IS-1(I-220) Polymorphic Fighter for Scratch Build Off 3

Ok Fellas,
I've been lurking these build-offs for some time. I never jumped in because I always seem to discover them a bit late and I'm a slow builder. I'm also not a very prolific designer/scratch builder, and have never sold or published anything so this is a pretty ambitious first project. But, its one I've had in my files for some time and have been wanting to do.

So, without further ado, I present the Nitikin-Shevchenko IS-1 Polymorphic Fighter. The IS-1 was the first of three (IS-1, IS-2, IS-4) experimental fighters built. As you can see, the variable wing geometry concept was quite ahead of its time and pretty much lost (though briefly revisited from time to time) to history until the swing-wing fighter jets. The reason I chose the IS-1 was that it was a conversion of a Polikarpov I-153 fighter which has such an iconic "look" of the time to me. IS stands for Istrebitel Skladnoj (Folding Fighter) and was succesful enough to spur further development.

As I understand it, first conceived around 1938, the basic concept was to reduce the landing and manuvering speeds of the cantilevered biplane designs that were prevalent Russian fighter philosiphy of the time. First flown on Nov 6, 1940, The IS-1 would take off in low speed biplane mode, then retract its landing gear and lower wing for high speed mode. Of course, monowing designs, which were in parallel development, soon emerged as a more viable solution.

I'll edit this with more information as I progress.....hopefully.

Mike
CryHavoc is offline Find More Posts by CryHavoc
Last edited by CryHavoc; Sep 05, 2008 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Fix spelling errors.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2008, 01:50 PM
don't feed the zombies!
ERAU in Prescott, AZ
Joined Feb 2007
333 Posts
Nice project! I've always thought of doing this one but never got up the courage Good luck and I look forward to the flight report; I'll be following this build.

I presume you have a full 3-view but just because I have it I'll post it

Ryan

*Edit* File isn't uploading, I get an error saying my file is 5.3Mb

This is the first time this has happened to me; how would I shrink it?
myplanesfearme is offline Find More Posts by myplanesfearme
Last edited by myplanesfearme; Sep 04, 2008 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Picture uploading issues
Old Sep 04, 2008, 02:19 PM
Joined Apr 2000
1,441 Posts
Ryan,

I wouldn't mind seeing the one you have so post away.

BTW.... I went to Embry-Riddle, Prescott in '85. While there some classmates and I formed the Little Riddle Flyers R/C club. Are they still active?

Mike
Old Sep 04, 2008, 02:32 PM
Joined Nov 2005
4,404 Posts
That is one snakey looking airplane !!
lake flyer is offline Find More Posts by lake flyer
Old Sep 04, 2008, 02:43 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,870 Posts
Mike, great subject! I had been looking at some of their (Russian) drawings for this type of biplane, mostly the inline version. How do you plan on making the wing move? I was toyiing with the idea of modifying a retract system but progreesed no further than mental building. Subscribed.

D-Rock
D-Rock is offline Find More Posts by D-Rock
Old Sep 04, 2008, 03:04 PM
Joined Apr 2000
1,441 Posts
I'm still at the mental process myself. I have several ides I want to start sketching out but have decided that I really need to get going on a CAD program of some sort. I used to do alot of AutoCAD work but do not have access to that program anymore. I do have a copy of TurboCAD and I think I can transfer my copy of Alibre3D to my new computer.

We've got a copy of Solidworks here at work that I can use anytime I want... here at work and only, on this project, during my off hrs. Also, I have no idea how to use Solidworks so if I decide to go this route there'll be some down time while I figure it out.

In anycase, whatever program I decide to use, I think I need to get the structure on paper so I can see what I can fit inside. I haven't even decided on a scale yet but I have decided that it will all center from a set of .20-.40 size retracts for the main gear.

Mike
Old Sep 04, 2008, 03:24 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,870 Posts
Mike, I use turbocad v11 myself and it seems to work pretty well. My thoughts were if I were to do a project like this project (and I may in the future), I would do a depron profile version first. Quick, easy, and little time commitment. Once I got it balance and the mechanism working, I'd do the full version. Profiles can be repaired quickly if needed . Just my 2 cents.

D-Rock
Old Sep 04, 2008, 03:35 PM
Joined Apr 2000
1,441 Posts
I wasn't thinking profile but I was thinking something simple. Once I figure out how I want to do the mechanisms I'll build a working wing/retract set-up and attach them to a simple box fuse design, with the power system I want to use, and test it all out.

Mike
Old Sep 04, 2008, 03:39 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,870 Posts
Here are a few pics of the version I was looking at. They have a good drawing of the retract mechanism.
Old Sep 04, 2008, 03:45 PM
Joined Apr 2000
1,441 Posts
Wow... I hadn't seen those drawings. Where'd you find those at?

I have ton of stuff on my old computer I need to get out of storage in Arizona but even so I don't recall those drawings.

Mike
Old Sep 04, 2008, 03:56 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,870 Posts
I found them on http://www.airwar.ru/indexe.html , look under the "Drawings" section. Lots of good stuff.

D-Rock
Old Sep 04, 2008, 04:06 PM
don't feed the zombies!
ERAU in Prescott, AZ
Joined Feb 2007
333 Posts
Hi Mike,

I haven't heard of the Little Riddle Flyers; I am the VP of the current club which my roommate and others formed the year before I came here (the 05/06 school year). I imagine things have changed over the years; here's our current field (also used by Casa de Aero, the local non-ERAU RC club)

Sorry for the ot...

Ryan
myplanesfearme is offline Find More Posts by myplanesfearme
Old Sep 04, 2008, 11:21 PM
Joined Apr 2000
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rock
I found them on http://www.airwar.ru/indexe.html , look under the "Drawings" section. Lots of good stuff.

D-Rock
D-,

Maybe its been a long day but I'm just not finding the drawings. The thing is once I got to the site I defintely remember having been there in the past. In fact, I think thats where I first became aware of the folding fighters and could have sworn I saw drawings.

I've been playing around with TurboCAD and at this point all I can say is it sucks...... After using AutoCAD I don't think I can use TC for this project. I got on the Solidworks machine just after I got off work today. Its completely alien but I can tell it has some serious features so it looks like my immediate efforts will concentrated on learning that.

Mike
Old Sep 04, 2008, 11:29 PM
Joined Apr 2000
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by myplanesfearme
Hi Mike,

I haven't heard of the Little Riddle Flyers; I am the VP of the current club which my roommate and others formed the year before I came here (the 05/06 school year). I imagine things have changed over the years; here's our current field (also used by Casa de Aero, the local non-ERAU RC club)

Sorry for the ot...

Ryan

Yeah its defintely been a while. We used to fly off a dirft parking lot off the main entrance road that leads to the main offices. Unless of course all thats changed now too .

I caught my first thermal at ERAU and I can still remember it. We used to also go over to Prescott Valley and slope soar. There is a big hill out in the middle of the valley we used to climb on windy days.

Mike
Old Sep 04, 2008, 11:36 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,870 Posts
sorry, its on this site http://mkmagazin.almanacwhf.ru/avia/index.htm
under Экспериментальный истребитель ИС-4

D-Rock