HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2008, 10:36 PM
Dog is my co-pilot.
United States, GA, Brooks
Joined Mar 2005
877 Posts
The FSK is too small. I looked at VarioProp, and it is all but ideal. I can have 15" (scale) turning right (not scale) or 13.9" (almost scale) turning left (scale).

However, then 51 euro price tag is a bit steep.

Initially, I may have to go with a conventional set-up. I just think it would be a great visual effect on short final, with everything hanging down, and a huge 5 bladed prop at low rpm.

I'll have to keep working on it.

I'll take the rubber model out tomorrow and see how it goes.
mrdj is online now Find More Posts by mrdj
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2008, 11:07 AM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
2,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdj
The real trick is the gear doors. They slide down as the gear retracts. I can't ignore them completely, they're too big and would alter the look on approach.

If it was easy....

djm
I was looking at your pic "am4.jpg" on post #10, and was thinking the indicated strut might be the "actuator" for the gear door. As its upper mount is farther inward than the gear strut, on retraction, it would "push" whatever it is attached to farther inward as well. There may or may not be some outward motion, initially, but... I've been wrong before!

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Dec 07, 2008, 01:44 PM
Dog is my co-pilot.
Joined Mar 2005
877 Posts
I think you"re right. The door travels on a track on the U/C leg.
Old Dec 07, 2008, 02:01 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
2,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdj
I think you"re right. The door travels on a track on the U/C leg.
Wow! That's pretty cool. That will be a fun puzzle to sort out at 1/10 scale!

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Dec 14, 2008, 07:22 PM
Dog is my co-pilot.
Joined Mar 2005
877 Posts
Started cutting out for the fuselage. The size is starting to become a bit more real now, no hand launching here! Length overall will be about 47".

I'll post pictures this week.

DJM
Old Dec 28, 2008, 09:40 PM
Dog is my co-pilot.
Joined Mar 2005
877 Posts
I thought I had better post something before Maltone's test flight.
Old Jan 03, 2009, 09:20 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,397 Posts
Hi - A little late joining the thread, but -interesting type - and I like a puzzle from time to time!

Are you sure the top of the UC leg doesn't push out and up towards the dihedral change in retraction? There looks to be an opening outboard of the door to allow that, and a little less of a wheel well than I expected inboard. Otherwise why would the designer not have put the landing gear pivot at the dihedral change point and make full use of the shortest possible point for the gear? This is after all the primary design consideration in favour of the inverted gull wing. Also a wider wheelbase makes for better stability on the ground.

Re. the 5-blade prop, have you thought of making it up yourself? The purchase of three Zinger (or similar) wood props and a lot of work cutting and halving and pinning them in - yes, but it's certainly cheaper. I've been doing my own three-bladers this way for years. (Though 5 blades would be a bit daunting!)

Motor for a 5-blader would probably need to be low speed-high torque. Perhaps something in the area of 500-600 revs per volt. (I don't understand the current trend to stating performance in 'kv' which I have always understood to stand for kilo-volts. What is wrong with watts - a simple function of amps and volts? Perhaps someone can set me right on this?)
As one suggestion how about TowerPro TP3520-670(rpv) rated at 600w? £20 cheap!
I've used quite a few of these and can recommend them.
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Jan 03, 2009, 09:49 AM
Dog is my co-pilot.
Joined Mar 2005
877 Posts
I looked through some of my research material, and find just a simple retraction. I presume you are talking about a double jointed leg like an F8F? The outer portion of the center wing was for armament, as well as the wing-fold mechanism.

djm
Old Jan 03, 2009, 10:10 AM
Trondheim, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
2,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye4wings
.I don't understand the current trend to stating performance in 'kv' which I have always understood to stand for kilo-volts. What is wrong with watts - a simple function of amps and volts? Perhaps someone can set me right on this?
'Km' is normally used as a generic "motor constant" in physics/mechanics, and 'V' is indeed volts. 'Km/V' would be the correct mathematical term for the rpm per volt we seek, but (sadly) sloppiness has reduced it to 'KV', or just any combination of the two letters. Just as guilty myself. 500kv = 500 rpm per volt.

Sorry for going OT mrdj - now I'll sit back and enjoy the rest of your build as it unfolds. The little one looks very neat

T
thomanie is online now Find More Posts by thomanie
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2009, 10:36 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,397 Posts
Thanks Thomanie. I just couldn't believe they were quoting the voltage at which the insulation resistance broke down! Sloppiness it is then. At least rpv is a useful bit of data when working out (guessing!) prop size and pitch. Still need maximum handling of a motor though, when max. watts are most useful.

Sorry to cast a red herring over the UC main bearing mrdj. I've been peering at a few of the other pics since and can't see anything to support my suggestion there - however hard I squint! So it's just a straight 95 (ish) degree pivot.
I don't think you'll find the door a problem. Maybe a bit of trial and error over the attachment point for the arm under discussion - just leave the top sheeting of the wing until it is sorted so adjustment can be made in situ. The small section of the door that is conventionally hinged to cover the gap left by the main sliding door in closed position might be a bit of a fiddle though. When lowering the wheels the main door needs to push itself under the small one... not a detail I would relish!
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Jan 04, 2009, 04:09 PM
Dog is my co-pilot.
Joined Mar 2005
877 Posts
Quote:
The little one looks very neat
Building a stick and tissue model had a lot of good points.
1-Kept me interested and in practice before the contest started
2-Showed areas that needed more thought in construction
3-CG testing
3-Helps me practice my airplane noises
Old Jan 12, 2009, 08:25 AM
Dog is my co-pilot.
Joined Mar 2005
877 Posts
Here are the latest photos.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 03:39 PM
Dog is my co-pilot.
Joined Mar 2005
877 Posts
Just a quick update;
The vertical tailplane is still skelatal to show structure. The Horizontal tailplane is the same, but is sheeted and has LE caps on it.

DJM
Old Apr 29, 2009, 09:42 AM
Dog is my co-pilot.
Joined Mar 2005
877 Posts
Just some pic of the interior (while still outside the fuselage) to show I haven't given up completely.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 10:20 AM
United States, OH, Cuyahoga Falls
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Now that is some detail there, great work mrdj ... I would have a hard time seeing some of that stuff, let alone putting it together... man, I really need to get me some of them elves .

Dean
roscoedude is offline Find More Posts by roscoedude