HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2008, 08:09 AM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Discussion
80.5" Vultee XP-54 Swoose goose design revision

I have been working out the design for this plane now for about two months and have decided to build and enter it in the build-off. She will have a 40" span with either static gear or retracts. I am undecided at this point which it will be. I have most of the design drawn and will attempt to recreate her as close as possiable. Maybe even the pilots elevator ejection seat . If I can get that far into her before the end of the contest. We shall see what happens here as I get into building her. There is just something about a gull wing that makes me smile, and this one hasn't really been done yet.

New information. I have had to rescale this plane in order to get it to the size needed for the rotating retracts that are available now.
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike
Last edited by CapMike; Dec 30, 2009 at 09:36 AM. Reason: New scale size
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2008, 08:56 AM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Thought I would add pics of the subject at hand.
Old Sep 04, 2008, 10:06 AM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,832 Posts
Cool. Could be a challenge to get the CG correct with that long nose hanging out there.
Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old Sep 04, 2008, 10:30 AM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis
Cool. Could be a challenge to get the CG correct with that long nose hanging out there.
Glenn
Yeah I know and the length of the tail booms too. I think I am up to the challenge
Old Sep 05, 2008, 07:39 AM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Redraw

Yesterday I went back to look at my file and the 3-view I had on this nice plane. Decided to look for a better picture and scrapped everything I had already drawn due to the inaccuracies of the picture. Found what I was looking for and am in the process of redrawing everything. So there was also some detail I could not see and found that this cool bird also has rotating retracts Now thats gonna be fun trying to fit a 2 1/2 inch tire up into the booms and wing under a door. I just love this stuff. Well as they say in the drafting world. Back to the drawing board, or in this case AutoCad.
Old Sep 07, 2008, 09:51 AM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,474 Posts
Think I might have a plan of that for rubber freeflight, not sure.
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Sep 07, 2008, 11:52 AM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldguy
I had found ARubber free flight plans, however they omit details such as the oil cooler intake on the bottom of the fuselage. I had thought of useing and modifying the plans, but just dont feel comfortable with them. I have most of the "bones" outline completed and am now working on creating the formers as well as the wing panels. Perhaps I may post a few pics of the progress later
Old Sep 07, 2008, 09:11 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldguy
I dont want you to think I am bashing some of the plans out there. Just that the rubber FF plans I have seen were not true to scale. I have this problem where I think that if a plane came a airfoil shape to the vert stab as well as the horizontal than I feel they need to have them. I also think that things should look as close to the real thing as I can possiably make them. This is the reason I am doing a complete redraw of all of the parts.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:49 AM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Have been working on many projects as well as trying to get some things ready for NEAT. I have most of the drawings done and ready to do detail. So far this rendition is looking really good. I hope to have enough to show later in the week.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 03:44 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Drawing continues

I have been working on the drawings for the Goose and now have a good outline for the wings, booms as well as the stabs. The retracts are going to be fun as well. Then I have to create the canopy. All is looking good so far and hope that when the time comes to begin the build that the cats wont destroy her.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 08:36 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
A teaser of my plan drawings

I thought I would add a picture to try getting a bit of interest in this. I have a lot done so far and the drawing looks good. So here you are. Comments are welcome
Old Sep 30, 2008, 09:19 PM
Imagine That!
Tularosa, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapMike
I thought I would add a picture to try getting a bit of interest in this. I have a lot done so far and the drawing looks good. So here you are. Comments are welcome
Interesting aircraft. I've always liked twin booms, and will be eagerly watching your design come to life.

One interesting oddity about the XP-54 is that it had an elevator seat.

-tom
TomJacoby is offline Find More Posts by TomJacoby
Old Oct 01, 2008, 04:26 AM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJacoby
Interesting aircraft. I've always liked twin booms, and will be eagerly watching your design come to life.

One interesting oddity about the XP-54 is that it had an elevator seat.

-tom
She had many firsts. First pressurized cockpit. First ejection seat. And that was straight through the bottom of the plane that was done because the pilots were afraid of the giant wind maker behind them and didn't want to get shredded by the fan. She also had a tilting nose to assist in aiming the cannons. Too bad engine problems killed it for her.
Old Oct 02, 2008, 02:39 AM
Beware the Axis of Weasel.
Plymouth, Devon
Joined May 2007
2,465 Posts
This is a weird coincidence, I started a thread about this plane in the elec warbirds section a couple of days ago, I'm building mine from the rubber power plans scaled up to 200% and modified to incorparate more scale details. I'm doing mine at 42" WS, so pretty much the same size as yours. I feel the same way about gull wings as you, it's what attracted me to the plane when I saw the plans. Couple of things I've been trying to work out include making the plane strip down for storage/transport, I'm going to see if I can make the outer wings separate from the booms, and the booms separate from the rest of the plane. I'll be building the rudder and elev servos into the booms to help with weight distribution and this'll also mean I'll just have to unplug their extension leads, same with aileron servos in the wings. Going to do mine with a balsa and ply frame sheeted in balsa, was thinking of depron but it's been a while since I worked with wood. What sceme are you thinking of using? I've read that out of the 2 prototypes built one was polished aluminium and the other olive drab on the top and dull grey underneath, I'm leaning more toward the latter at present but if I can get a flawless finish I may go for shiney My talents are no where near good enough to enter mine into any contest and mine will be more of a stand off scale anyway, so I wish you luck in the competition. I'm going to see if I can find time today to build a simple profile glider to help find CG, would you like me to give you my results? Cheers, Rod
thewildweasel is online now Find More Posts by thewildweasel
Old Oct 02, 2008, 04:37 AM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Rod it is good to see tht someone else is interested. I had thought o useing the FF plans as well when I first spotted the bird. However I found that they left out some inportant detail. Such as the oil cooler scoop that will also work a motor cooling intake. Yes by all means do let me know where the CG comes in on her that will save me a little bit of head scratching later. As far as color scheme I have not decided yet. I had not found that inormation in the past and apreciate your shareing that info. Cheers and lets see yours take to the air. Mike