HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2001, 03:56 PM
Santa Clara, CA, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,550 Posts
Hear any good comments from by-standers?

I didn't know she was watching. Last night she said I think your next plane should be much much bigger because the other day at the park, it looked only 2 inches long up in the air. It is hard to see.

Honey, can you pass me that catalog with a 10 foot wing span?

Enjoy,
Charles
jas_Qfix is offline Find More Posts by jas_Qfix
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2001, 04:05 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
I had a lady get out of her car, walk up to me, and say "can you see that thing?"...granted, I was probably up a good 1,000' going for an altitude record. She must have watched the whole flight, and when she lost sight of it, she just had to know if I did too... If and when I totally lose sight of my skyscooter, I just close the throttle and push the stick forward and to either side.. hasn't failed me yet
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Jun 01, 2001, 04:13 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,396 Posts
Flew my 1114 equipped (12 cells w/GB & 12x10 APC"E").40 ARF at a different club last Sunday.

After landing about 6 guys came up to look it over, saying thats a real airplane and its electric!
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Jun 01, 2001, 04:51 PM
London Heathrow, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Sep 1999
232 Posts
My favourite moment was when a guy walked over to look at a C/L model I was just getting ready to fly and, pointing at the back of the silencer, said "How do you start it, put a lighted match in there?
(Maybe that's what turned me on to electrics!!)

Brian
Brian Lyle is offline Find More Posts by Brian Lyle
Old Jun 01, 2001, 05:40 PM
Arlington,VA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,862 Posts
I got laughed at by a bunch a kids 2 months ago when I did a face-plant into a basketball backboard......does that count? <VBG>
pullin-gs is online now Find More Posts by pullin-gs
Old Jun 01, 2001, 05:41 PM
Oxford(ish), England
Joined Feb 2001
389 Posts
I think my favorite anecdote has to be the chap who decided to walk up to a control line pilot to remonstrate about the noise.... While the model was flying low and fast....

According to speculative witnesses this character initially got really MAD when the guy started taking the mickey by making the model fly round and round the complainer in ever decreasing circles. Fortunatley the plane crashed before it could zero in on him completely, or he may have suffered a considerable loss of face.... BOOM TISH!
gdb1973 is offline Find More Posts by gdb1973
Old Jun 01, 2001, 07:09 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
Must've been some sort of monoline setup.....

In a two-line setup the front line is the DOWN line - catching someone coming into the circle causes the plane to immediately give full down - splat!

This happened to me while I was flying a C/L ship nearly 30 years ago and I still remember the sick feeling, both for the kid that walked into the circle (knocked him down) and for the plane......
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Jun 01, 2001, 08:44 PM
Santa Clara, CA, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,550 Posts
tic,

".. hasn't failed me yet ... "

You mean you haven't failed pick-up ladies this way?!! Good job.

pullin-gs,

"face-plant into a basketball backboard. " That is funny.

BCawley,

"was flying a C/L ship nearly 30 years ago "
Come on, are you guys that young?!!

jas_Qfix is offline Find More Posts by jas_Qfix
Old Jun 01, 2001, 10:47 PM
Columbia, South Carolina, United States
Joined Feb 2000
2,545 Posts
I like the shocked expression on peoples faces "or friends" when they ask how much they cost.I fly my ECO helicopter out front of my house and it always attracts attention. A man and his 8 yr old son approached me and he said,"thats neat, Ill have to get my son one. How much it cost?" I always try to avoid that question cause Im trying to forget myself but he was really persistant. I said, $1200 but thats just whats in the air. Radio, batteries,charger,spares,all thats extra and adds up quick.His son was kneeled at the heli looking it over and his dad, now with that "I just saw a ghost look" snaps at him to get away from it.
JIMJAM is offline Find More Posts by JIMJAM
Old Jun 02, 2001, 04:27 PM
Napoleon, Ohio
Joined Dec 1996
727 Posts
How about "Holy S**t, look at that sucker climb?"

Just gotta luv that F10 hauling up a 54oz bird.

The next best is when you recruit a new hand launcher from the wet crowd and tell him to hang on while you test the "pull" and watch the look on his face.

You know how a wet one is checked for lean by holding it nose high? They are impressed when the electric tries to pull out of their hands straight up too.

Keep 'em hummin'

Ray
Ray Lowinski is offline Find More Posts by Ray Lowinski
Old Jun 02, 2001, 07:00 PM
Ephrata, PA.
Joined Apr 2001
68 Posts
I have had at least two people say "Does it fly?" What would be the point otherwise.
shredder is offline Find More Posts by shredder
Old Jun 02, 2001, 09:01 PM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,713 Posts
just today while yaking waiting for the wind to die down a citizen came by picking our brains about flying. I told him that I like electric, he commented he did not want to go that route because of all the hassle of charging batteries. Should be intresting to see him with the new trainer and a "forty" glow engine, Newbee's all most always burn up that first engine over leaning it, then rather than realizing the engine is toast they struggle all season long trying to regain its lost performance. So much for hassle.
dave morris is offline Find More Posts by dave morris
Old Jun 02, 2001, 10:48 PM
San Diego, CA. USA
Joined Nov 2000
585 Posts
Yesterday I was Zagi flying a little thermal lift with two hawks. A hiker came down the trail and when he saw me he said, "Wow, I didn't know that was I plane up there. I thought it was a really big hawk".

[This message has been edited by Balin (edited 06-02-2001).]
Balin is offline Find More Posts by Balin
Old Jun 03, 2001, 12:35 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Apr 2001
235 Posts
Fifth flight today, third one that didn't end in a re-kit. I fly in a field at a farm down the road. The youngest son on the farm has mild Down's syndrome and loves to watch me fly ( and crash!). After a 15 min flight ( longest yet ) He patted me on the back and said "Well done!". Both of us had silly grins. Gotta get a buddy box.
procrastination inc is offline Find More Posts by procrastination inc
Old Jun 03, 2001, 06:46 AM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,458 Posts
I frequently fly behind a school which is next to a hospital parking lot. Usually there are hospital emplyoees entering and leaving around 7:00 AM, my favorite flying time.

Last spring a group of men wearing hospital whites watched me struggling with my 56" WS foamie trainer. When I drove it into the soccer net they cheered. Go figure...

Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck