HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2008, 09:21 PM
Tacoma WA
Joined Feb 2008
561 Posts
Discussion
FTL 100cc Twin Gas Engine

I've received a gift of an FTL Twin 100cc gas engine NIB without any paperwork or instructions. I've searched the web but cannot find any particulars on this engine. Does anyone here have any information, or can anyone direct me to where I can find information on this engine??
Also, how much it may be worth?
TIA
Ron

Ron W3FJW is offline Find More Posts by Ron W3FJW
Last edited by Ron W3FJW; Sep 08, 2008 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Add Images
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2008, 09:49 PM
United States, OH, Centerville
Joined Oct 2005
4 Posts
Try going to hobbycity.com. They sell a line of FTL XXXcc that may be the one you have. Good luck. Post how it turns out. I have been looking at the 26cc model.
Aces_N_Eights is offline Find More Posts by Aces_N_Eights
Old Sep 04, 2008, 10:05 PM
Tacoma WA
Joined Feb 2008
561 Posts
I have. Nothing on it there. There is an SV100 but I don't think they're related. HC is where the engine came from originally.. Somewhere around $450 - 500 but I'd like to find out for sure. I'm trying to determine a fair price for it.
Old Sep 06, 2008, 11:07 PM
Maumelle, Arkansas
Joined Jan 2007
20 Posts
How do you know its a FTL? You say no documentation, so maybe its not an FTL since I've never heard of a FTL 100cc anyways? What does it look like? Is it blue anodized like the SV100 that HobbyCity sells? Can you post a pic of it?
Daryl Ireland is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Ireland
Old Sep 06, 2008, 11:54 PM
Tacoma WA
Joined Feb 2008
561 Posts
It came packed in an FTL45 box with labeling for an FTL100 with all parts & accessories. It has Dark Red paint, not anodizing, on the cylinders and CC is shined aluminum. Don't have a pic but I'll work on it.

Looks exactly like the SV100 except for the color and the accessories are the same.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...DI_7.1kw_(ver2)

Just unpacked it and took a good look. There is a small FTL100 booklet written in excellent Chinglish specs & instructions.
Three fins at the top of the left cylinder are broken at the tips, 2 others chipped but not enough to affect operation IMO. I'll try & get some pix up in the next day or two.

Judging from the way things go at HC, it was probably an FTL rebranded to the SV lable.
Last edited by Ron W3FJW; Sep 08, 2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2008, 06:55 PM
Tacoma WA
Joined Feb 2008
561 Posts
Images added in Post #1
Old Sep 08, 2008, 10:17 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron W3FJW
Images added in Post #1
Sure looks like the same engine but for the color.

Just wanted to say 73.

Zor ( another ham )
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Last edited by Zor; Sep 09, 2008 at 11:20 AM. Reason: waned became wanted
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 13, 2008, 10:08 PM
Tacoma WA
Joined Feb 2008
561 Posts
73 to you also Zor. Lots of Hams on these forums. Wish I had a use for this motor but it and a plane is too big for motorhome living....
Old Sep 20, 2008, 10:07 AM
USA, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Sep 2007
1,891 Posts
The carb isn't quite the same as the HobbyCity engine. On your's, the fuel line comes into the back whereas the HobbyCity comes to the side. Also, the fitting is different. There is a nib on he front of the carb also.

Garret

P.S. I purchased a few R/C items from the wife of a deceased club member here in Colorado. She has an engine just like this in her basement. I searched the web for a long time to find the company. What finally gave it away was the red cylinder heads...I will try to find the site again.
Garret H is online now Find More Posts by Garret H
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 20, 2008, 10:28 AM
Tacoma WA
Joined Feb 2008
561 Posts
Thanks for the info Garret. I know nothing about these engines as I haven't had any nitros or gassers since the 70's. Only thing I know is that Hobby City sells some FTL engines and this one was on their site about the beginning of the year. They started selling the SV100 in place of the FTL100 a few months ago.

Would appreciate a link if you happen to run across it again.

Thanks,
Ron
Old Sep 23, 2008, 01:44 AM
Joined Apr 2007
28 Posts
A gift LOL, I don't think the guy likes you that much

I wouldn't waste your time installing this on your plane or finding instructions as this would only be worth is scrap metal value.

Checkout my post on practically the same engine that I purchased from hobbycity.com

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=918402
jsteel is offline Find More Posts by jsteel
Old Sep 23, 2008, 02:15 AM
Tacoma WA
Joined Feb 2008
561 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems with the SV100 and HC. That engine is still being sold by HC.

But I'm curious.
You did say "practically the same engine"
But can you say with absolute certainty that the FTL100 and the SV100 are one and the same engine? And that the same problems apply to the FTL100? Or is that purely supposition on your part? What actual experience have you had with the FTL100?

As I said previously, I have no experience with these engines, so I'm just looking for input, good or bad, about the FTL100. Not the SV100.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 12:31 AM
Double Naught Spy
USA, TX, Waxahachie
Joined Aug 2004
368 Posts
Is it the photo or is the carb bigger than the cylinders! LOL
iamplanecrazy2 is offline Find More Posts by iamplanecrazy2
Old Oct 13, 2008, 10:27 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1 Posts
the engine is great

ok so i bought the engine and have broken it in with the included instructions well prime the engine and 3rd flip fires right up everytime, has alot of hits and few desighn misses the only thing is it has no serial number id love to find out about the engine ist just 000. for me my budget build continues it swings the 27x10 effortless. anyhow if you happen to find out more about it give me a shout.
icando3d2 is offline Find More Posts by icando3d2
Old Dec 23, 2008, 11:10 PM
Maumelle, Arkansas
Joined Jan 2007
20 Posts
I'd like to hear more about the FTL 100 from anyone running it. The FTL 52 that Hobbycity sell has some great reviews on their site. The FTL 100 has a great price and it may look like it shares the cylinders with the SV100, but everything else about it is different. Would be great if it gets the same kind of reviews as the 52cc has. Also, I read on Hobbycity's forum about a year ago that FTL was developing an 85cc single. Wonder where that stands?
Daryl Ireland is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Ireland