HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2003, 04:47 PM
Look! Up in the sky!
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
4,636 Posts
Some photos of the neighborhood today

Just thought I'd get some run of the mill shots from my flying field today... I should have picked up and driven to a pretty area (river, mtns,...) but was too lazy. The SS was specked out, and got there toot sweet!
eBird is offline Find More Posts by eBird
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2003, 04:48 PM
Look! Up in the sky!
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
4,636 Posts
another direction
Old Feb 09, 2003, 04:49 PM
Look! Up in the sky!
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
4,636 Posts
last one
Old Feb 09, 2003, 05:48 PM
Oops, reversed elevator!
Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2003
364 Posts
Wow. Nice pictures. very sharp
Were you worried that the wind might blow off the plane and the camera with it?

Does camera vibration a problem? What percentage of pictures were sharp?

Thanks
Caveman is offline Find More Posts by Caveman
Old Feb 09, 2003, 05:50 PM
North East
Joined Nov 2001
1,198 Posts
no trees

Nice fotos, I'm looking for a tree somewhere for you to land in!
:-)
HIGHFLYER99 is offline Find More Posts by HIGHFLYER99
Old Feb 09, 2003, 05:51 PM
North East
Joined Nov 2001
1,198 Posts
found

upon closer inspection, I do see some trees. With my luck in an emergency landing, my plane would find them!
Old Feb 09, 2003, 06:17 PM
Ohio Wapak
Joined Feb 2002
3,710 Posts
wow

Wow..your high..how high would you say you are in those pics.....man...When you spec out dont you get a little nervous.....I get really high but then when I start to get real small I start to slow down..I dont have the guts you do...It must look like a red dot!!!!
thor4944 is offline Find More Posts by thor4944
Old Feb 09, 2003, 06:32 PM
Look! Up in the sky!
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
4,636 Posts
Cave-
I was definitely in a thermal, it would have stayed up there hours if I let it. Winds were 5-10 on the ground. I'm just careful to keep it upwind in case the batteries go out.
Vibration not a problem cause I shut the motor off during the shot. Pretty much all 26 shots were clear, but I just pick a few that are well composed.

Flyandcrash
Not too many trees to worry about, that's for sure. It makes for some easy flying around here, any field works great cause few trees!

Thor
I had to be 1000+ feet up (on top of the 5000' I'm already at)
Plane was a speck, I couldn't make out the horizontal stab any more, just the wing. Scary, for sure, but fun.

Only way I could get her down was to apply full up elevator and left rudder, and spin.
Old Feb 09, 2003, 06:34 PM
North East
Joined Nov 2001
1,198 Posts
specked

Low powered binoculars!!! 4x30 go even higher.
Old Feb 09, 2003, 06:35 PM
RIP Sheba :(
Brentwood, CA
Joined Nov 2002
1,136 Posts
eBird, you must have learned how to fly by binoculars!

Rob
Robster is offline Find More Posts by Robster
Old Feb 09, 2003, 06:40 PM
Look! Up in the sky!
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
4,636 Posts
Binocs

I would love to have a pair of face-mounted low power, wide angle binocs to fly with!

Only problem is, if you visually lose it for a sec, and it's beyond naked eye range, you're toast! I've found that getting into thermals really high up can cause the plane to drift pretty fast if you're not vigilant.

Every once in a while I'll take my eyes off to glance at my xmitter meter (to be sure I'm still OK), and it takes me a few seconds to find the plane again. Once it took me almost 10 agonizing seconds to find it. I was sure it was in the next county already!

I need some fluoresent orange paint or something for the bottom of the wing... I've even thought about tying on about 10 feet of lightweight paper streamers to increase visibility!
Old Feb 09, 2003, 06:56 PM
Ohio Wapak
Joined Feb 2002
3,710 Posts
Your nutz

Your nutz!!!! I hope you got an AMA card in case something happens.....LOL.....I always wondered how you get a plane down from that height...are you saying put it into a stall..put it in all up elevator and left and have it stall downward.........I put elevator down one time...got the zagi flap...NEVER DID THAT AGAIN!!! LOL
Old Feb 09, 2003, 07:08 PM
Look! Up in the sky!
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
4,636 Posts
Re: Your nutz

Quote:
Originally posted by thor4944
Your nutz!!!! I hope you got an AMA card in case something happens.....LOL.....I always wondered how you get a plane down from that height...are you saying put it into a stall..put it in all up elevator and left and have it stall downward.........I put elevator down one time...got the zagi flap...NEVER DID THAT AGAIN!!! LOL
Well, two things:

The wind was northeasterly, which means if I had lost the plane, it would have ended up somewhere in 500,000 acres of open desert (toward that little mountain range visible in the third pic). My only concern was losing my plane, not bonking someone with it.

Full up elevator and right or left rudder gives a very nice, medium-low stress semi-flat spin that bleeds off altitude quickly. I use it all the time to get the SS down.

BTW, the "speck" altitude I'm talking about is just about directly overhead, which adds to the importance of not letting the plane blow downwind too far. It would quickly become too small to see.

Other than flying inverted at ANY altitude, this is about the only way the get an adrenalin rush from the Slow Stick!
Old Feb 09, 2003, 07:11 PM
Ohio Wapak
Joined Feb 2002
3,710 Posts
thanks

Thanks I just bought a slowstick...I usually go that high with my zagi but never tried a slowstick....(weather sucks right now!!!) I live in ohio...so I will have to wait to try that..thanks!!!
Old Feb 09, 2003, 07:19 PM
WAA pilot #167 (yeah baby!)
Far, Far, Far West Texas. ie. El Paso
Joined Aug 2002
950 Posts
Great job, as usual!!! Nice, Nice pics. Hey, you DID win the latest aerial photo cavalcade, right??? Heck, I even voted for ya!!! How could I not!!

Low winds forecast this week. Gonna try to get some SS pics and madien my Switchback.

What reciever are you using on your SS, Ebird? Just curious. I use a Hitec feather. I know the reputation they have but so far so good.

-Adam
Ahawk is offline Find More Posts by Ahawk