HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2008, 08:02 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,114 Posts
Discussion
Looking for a good park for flying in Portland Oregon

Just as stated above. I am looking for a good park to fly in around portland. Preferably around N.E.

I have been flying at the old Whitaker middle school as it has a runway of sorts, but its close to trees and power lines alongside the runway. But the rest of the park is nice and open.

Any help is appreciated.
bluemeane is offline Find More Posts by bluemeane
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2008, 03:20 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,114 Posts
Anyone?

Bueller......
Bueller......
Bueller......
bluemeane is offline Find More Posts by bluemeane
Old Sep 12, 2008, 06:37 PM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemeane
Anyone?

Bueller......
Bueller......
Bueller......
we found a real nice park, lots of room, and you can take off the street, or the field, we've been out there with slow stick, and will probably be out there again this sunday with some other planes, it's a block north of 154th and burnside.

Stuart
Stuart Linfoot is offline Find More Posts by Stuart Linfoot
Old Sep 13, 2008, 10:51 AM
Not now, Kato! Not now!
Sheridan, OR USA
Joined Jan 2005
143 Posts
Sorry Blue. I'm too far away to help. I live out in the sticks where I can just pop out the door and chuck something in the air.

Just thought I'd give you a bump.
katobaggins is offline Find More Posts by katobaggins
Old Sep 14, 2008, 04:29 PM
Joined Apr 2008
15 Posts
I fly in the Columbia Park Annex. It has two baseball fields in it with trees around the outside. It works good if you stay out of the trees. Actually, I just got back from flying there and crashed a T-28 into the trees. Got disoriented and gave the wrong elevator to send me full throttle into a tree. Luckily most of the peices fell down, although there is still a set of wings and a rudder up in the tree somewhere. But I got back all of the electronics except for the wing servos, which was my biggest worry when I saw it headed for the tree.
Allfat is offline Find More Posts by Allfat
Old Sep 15, 2008, 12:49 AM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
I've flown in several parks in the Portland area but can't remember their names.

A really cool place to fly a bit south is the Evergreen aviation museum.

It's an amazing flying field.

link that really doesn't do it justice.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=917024
This is an amazing place for airplane and rc enthusiasts.
I plan on being their for the next fun fly.
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Mar 29, 2009, 04:36 PM
whoops....
USA, OR, Portland
Joined Feb 2008
55 Posts
This is going back a ways, but I am in NE Portland and was doing a search on park-flying locations and saw this thread.

I usually fly off of 148th and Mason. There are large farm fields on either side of the road, and with the exception of a couple go-arounds for the occasional car the flying has been good.

I also fly off of the track, or the field, at the old school just north of killingsworth off of 42nd ave.. Its best early in the morning before too many people wake up and decide to run the track......
isaacb is offline Find More Posts by isaacb
Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:08 AM
Joined Apr 2009
6 Posts
Newbie looking for PDX park flyers

Giving this thread a bump (and a huge thumbs up).

I too am looking for good sites in PDX. I live in SW and am wondering if anyone flies in or around SW. Are there any good sites in Lake Oswego or Wilsonville?

I'd love to meet some park-flyers and get ideas and opinions.

Thanks!
mondofresh is offline Find More Posts by mondofresh
Old Apr 22, 2009, 12:44 PM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
Mary S. Young park is a good spot, I see flyers down there quite often in the soccor fields
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondofresh
Giving this thread a bump (and a huge thumbs up).

I too am looking for good sites in PDX. I live in SW and am wondering if anyone flies in or around SW. Are there any good sites in Lake Oswego or Wilsonville?

I'd love to meet some park-flyers and get ideas and opinions.

Thanks!
Old Apr 22, 2009, 01:47 PM
Wind, Osprey and Rivers, Oh My
Wilsonville, Oregon
Joined Feb 2007
116 Posts
Hm... Not so much Portland, I'm down by Wilsonville, but I do fly in the area. Small parkies I fly out over the river from Hebb Park. Its right down the street from me. It really only works in the winter, though, since its full of boats in the summer. Can't use the parking lot as a runway. Larger birds I fly out at Molalla River state park, right across the river. I've also flown, and seen other fliers, at Meldrum Bar park, right across the river from Mary S. Young park. Its soccer fields, though, so its usually early morning flying, before the kids show up.

ETA: I've also flown my supercub on the PCC Sylvannia campus. They have a track on the down-hill end of the campus which has enough space for a supercub type plane. Tends to have a bunch of runners, though, so be careful there.
SgtKashim is offline Find More Posts by SgtKashim
Old Apr 22, 2009, 02:13 PM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
I'm down at Meldrum Bar almost daily, never have seen anyone flying there
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtKashim
Hm... Not so much Portland, I'm down by Wilsonville, but I do fly in the area. Small parkies I fly out over the river from Hebb Park. Its right down the street from me. It really only works in the winter, though, since its full of boats in the summer. Can't use the parking lot as a runway. Larger birds I fly out at Molalla River state park, right across the river. I've also flown, and seen other fliers, at Meldrum Bar park, right across the river from Mary S. Young park. Its soccer fields, though, so its usually early morning flying, before the kids show up.

ETA: I've also flown my supercub on the PCC Sylvannia campus. They have a track on the down-hill end of the campus which has enough space for a supercub type plane. Tends to have a bunch of runners, though, so be careful there.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 02:16 PM
Wilsonville, Oregon
Joined Feb 2007
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Linfoot
I'm down at Meldrum Bar almost daily, never have seen anyone flying there
When I worked nights I used to fly there on the way home after work. Usually there were two or three guys who would show up between 6am and 7am on Saturdays or Sundays. Early mornings. We flew out over the soccer/baseball fields. Theres a long thin parking lot that runs along the edge which makes a perfect runway. Had to go early, though, since it filled up with sports camps.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 02:25 PM
Wilsonville, Oregon
Joined Feb 2007
116 Posts
Oh... The other place I've flown - Summerlake Park in Tigard. If you don't mind spectators you can launch off the footpath and fly out over the pond. It gets crowded in the summers, though, so again, be careful. I wouldn't fly anything big there, and I would try to stay over the pond.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 02:32 PM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
maybe I'm missing something, but where are the soccor fields? I'll stop by there on my way to work today
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtKashim
When I worked nights I used to fly there on the way home after work. Usually there were two or three guys who would show up between 6am and 7am on Saturdays or Sundays. Early mornings. We flew out over the soccer/baseball fields. Theres a long thin parking lot that runs along the edge which makes a perfect runway. Had to go early, though, since it filled up with sports camps.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 02:37 PM
Wilsonville, Oregon
Joined Feb 2007
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Linfoot
maybe I'm missing something, but where are the soccor fields? I'll stop by there on my way to work today

Lesse... This map should be it. The fields are there between Jensen Road and Meldrum Bar Park Road.

http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid...19312&t=h&z=16