SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 13, 2012, 01:51 PM
Keep a Steady Strain....
Orange County, CA
Joined Nov 2007
1,251 Posts
You're right Darrin - there were all kinds of cool things that we did with the APU's; for undocking, say we were port side to, I'd put port APU at 090, starboard APU at 180, hard left rudder and engine ahead for 3.5 knots and she'd walk sideways off the berth.

If we needed to undock from port side to and had to back into a turning basin and there was no one astern of us, then put port and starboard APU's at 135 and engine astern for 6 knots and she'd move smartly astern while at the same time lifting off the dock at a 45 degree angle...

When used like z-drives, the APU's were so much better than just having a tunnel thruster.
capntroy is online now Find More Posts by capntroy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:40 PM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
A good captain (or a harbor pilot) is worth their weight it gold, a cruddy one (and I have met a few) not worth the effort to push them overboard.
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:41 PM
1/2 a bubble off
United States, NY, Schenectady
Joined Mar 2011
874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman2008 View Post
... not worth the effort to push them overboard.
Foo
Maybe so, but it would make the world a better place.
Apismelifera is offline Find More Posts by Apismelifera
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:47 PM
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
He had a great ship handler on my first ship (DDG-2, class with twin steam plant, no thrusters), and if we got stuck behind the carrier (which would take all the tugs on the base plus civies), he would see if he could get us in with the wind and tide. Best landing we did was at the head of a pier after going in between nested cans on both piers to our berth, You needed a cannon for an arm on the heaving lines but we got in! LOL
Second ship was a Sprucan (bad ship worse ship handler) always needed at least two tugs to get us in (three if we were bucking the tide or wind) and would usually bash the hell our of dolphins doing it. He won the silver star driving PBR's on the Mekong delta and thought that Sprucan was still one.
Foo
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:21 AM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,725 Posts
Got the superstructure on the boat, Its not finished by a long shot

Also made the capstan brake wheel. Its a piece of 3/16 rod a copper ring and flat brass cut to shape and soldered.

Nick
nick_75au is online now Find More Posts by nick_75au
Old Jul 19, 2012, 04:55 AM
Joined Mar 2007
3,725 Posts
How cool is LittleMachineShop, busted the belt in my 7X12 (after 12 years). Ordered the parts on the 11th of July, My lathe is again operational

I was going to get the shaft done when it happened, I have been doing some of the small FWD deck details instead.

Nick
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:14 AM
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
Nick, having spent entirely too much time on focs'les over the years I have a well-deserved reputation for both correcting people of the terminology and being a rivet counter about that part of the ship! Nice to see all the parts referred to correctly and there! The windlass set-up looks nice (even has a hawse-pipe cover and chain pipe cover), only thing missing is the chain stoppers (is that the two small parts in the first couple of pics, the padeyes for them?).
Foo
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:45 AM
ADM. 48TH FLEET
oxnard ca.
Joined Jul 2007
1,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman2008 View Post
Nick, having spent entirely too much time on focs'les over the years I have a well-deserved reputation for both correcting people of the terminology and being a rivet counter about that part of the ship! Nice to see all the parts referred to correctly and there! The windlass set-up looks nice (even has a hawse-pipe cover and chain pipe cover), only thing missing is the chain stoppers (is that the two small parts in the first couple of pics, the padeyes for them?).
Foo
like these mr. perry???
desron48 is offline Find More Posts by desron48
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:49 AM
ADM. 48TH FLEET
oxnard ca.
Joined Jul 2007
1,275 Posts
pics.......sorry....
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:30 PM
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
Exactly! but then it is just the pain from my knuckles draggin on the deck (boatswain's mates are reputed to have them) speaking LOL!
Every ship I was ever on had a pair of chain stoppers on each anchor chain (one to each side, to eliminate a point of failure).
Foo
P.S. I am not a Mister! (I works for a living!) My younger brother (LtCmdr, USN(R)), and my dad (Rear Admiral (USN(R)) are Mister's or Sirs!
Last edited by fooman2008; Jul 19, 2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:58 AM
ADM. 48TH FLEET
oxnard ca.
Joined Jul 2007
1,275 Posts
all in good fun....foo....

joe
Old Jul 20, 2012, 01:04 AM
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
Nick I am very glad to say (and I too was just joking) that your focs'le and control station all look as though I could just walk on deck use the gear as needed, they do look great regardless of all my kidding.
Foo
Old Jul 20, 2012, 02:07 AM
Joined Mar 2007
3,725 Posts
YEah thats what the padeyes are for, there is a third one fwd that I believe may be used as a towing point?, one I had mounted at the wrong angle, so it is in the process of being repositioned, Foo where would the chain stoppers be kept when the anchor was in use? I want to make a working setup.

The cover mesh is way over scale, I need to find some about 6 times smaller I reckon, I need to make the cover for the bolster as well.

I'm back on the shaft at the moment, my first launching keeps getting delayed

Nick
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:46 AM
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
Most hawse pipe covers I have seem were a metal frame with some kind of mesh (just like you used) over them. I would maybe make an outside for the cover out of lightweight styrene, then use some kind of mesh over the top of it glued down (window screen fabric?). The good news is that the covers are not a standard item and vary from ship to ship (what ever that ship could get made, or had their own snipes make). So anything that is in scale would probably be right. I hunted around for about half an hour to find a good pic of a Navy hawse pipe cover but couldn't (maybe because, as I said, they are locally manufactured items). Did find a pic from Charles Hewitt's incredible 3d rendering of Okloma City, which shows how the focs'le would have the stoppers set (twin anchors in her case). http://www.okieboat.com/Copyright%20...201024%20C.jpg

As for stowage when we were using the hook we would just have them parallel to the chain sitting on the deck. The one time we moored to a buoy we used them (Hong Kong) to save strain on the brake, but did keep the hammer handy in case we had to slack the chain.
Foo
Last edited by fooman2008; Jul 20, 2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:47 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3,725 Posts
This is what I'm talking about.

Nick