Old Jun 27, 2012, 11:24 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_75au View Post

http://www.shapeways.com/model/606229/?materialId=6

Learning 123D from autodesk so I've produced a simple fair-lead to see how much it costs, cheap enough exept for the shipping to the land down under
I dont think I will be ordering it.

Nick

Hi Nick,

I drilled and then hand filed and sanded the first one of these...
No printer needed.
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2012, 06:00 AM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,688 Posts
Hi Umi, I have done exactly that, I just have no casting supplies, I'm a little confused on the process once the master is made, is there a tutorial somewhere that outlines the process and materials required.

Anyway here are some updated photos of the continuing hull work.

The keel was just a single ply piece when I received the hull so I added the foam to give the correct profile, I ground away the glass at the base of the keel after the foam was shaped so the new glass sits flush with the hull profile. I used 6 ounces of Chopped strand mat but split the glass into 2 plies so it would more easily conform to the rather sharp bends, mixed up the resin painted the foam first then laid on the first layer stippled then rolled, laid on the second layer and repeat.

Posibility of a boo boo here, I was a bit light on the catalyst so a couple of hours later its still wet. I hit it with a heat gun but Im going to leave it for 24 hours now. Usually my resin goes off too quickly but I forgot about the temp, it was only about 12 C when I laid the glass. Last time I did a lay up it was closer to 35 C

The anchor repair is slightly different, I backed up the hole with a peice of thin ply beveled the edge of the hole, laid a peice of 3 ounce Choppy mat then added a peice of 12 ounce double bias cloth, more because I needed to bring the thickness up quickly than for any strenght advantage that DB gives

The stabilisers are shaped aluminium with a stainless steel shaft like the rudder and a 75 mm "stuffing tube" was made from a piece of stainless tube and brass bushes turned up to suit. I made the control horns out of some sheet brass with Dubro collars silver soldered to the arm.When I flip the hull over I will get a shot of the internal reinforcement and control arms.

The bilge keels are 4 mm perspex tapered down pinned with 3mm studs, I used epoxy and nuts on the studs to secure them to the hull

Cheers
Nick
nick_75au is offline Find More Posts by nick_75au
Last edited by nick_75au; Jun 28, 2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 08:09 AM
ADM. 48TH FLEET
oxnard ca.
Joined Jul 2007
1,275 Posts
your build is looking great nick....i still have the pattern (master) for the OHP but untill i get more interested parties on this hull i'll make the mold...

joe
desron48 is offline Find More Posts by desron48
Old Jun 29, 2012, 01:03 AM
Joined Mar 2007
3,688 Posts
Thanks Joe

Maybe this build will generate some interest?

I received my superstructure kit from Charles at CNC Models, today. Literaly just walked in the door From just unpacking the box I'm impressed, well packed it arrived in perfect shape. It has a lot more pieces than I expected including the mast platforms. He also included 2 sheets of evergreen for the hanger doors and vents.

I quickly took the hanger deck-head out to the hull and its within a couple of millimeters of being the same width ( I was a bit worried one or the other were going to be out

I probably wont make a start on the superstructure until I've finished the underside of the hull now, I actually wasn't expecting it to arrive so quickly

Pictures to follow .....
Last edited by nick_75au; Jun 29, 2012 at 03:00 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 01:56 AM
Joined Mar 2007
3,688 Posts
As promised

Couple of pics of the superstructure kit

Nick
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:11 AM
Joined Mar 2007
3,688 Posts
Hull is painted,

Nick
Old Jul 08, 2012, 09:06 PM
Keep a Steady Strain....
Orange County, CA
Joined Nov 2007
1,211 Posts
Nice! I like the masker belts, are you going to have functioning Prairie air on the props too...
capntroy is online now Find More Posts by capntroy
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:37 AM
Joined Mar 2007
3,688 Posts
Yeah sure

I've tried to replicate the strengthening plates added to the hulls as well, they barely show up in the photos though.

You might have guessed I would like to have a working APU unit as well, that will be a wait and see.

Nick
Old Jul 10, 2012, 04:16 PM
Keep a Steady Strain....
Orange County, CA
Joined Nov 2007
1,211 Posts
Quote:
You might have guessed I would like to have a working APU unit as well, that will be a wait and see
Then you'll be needing one of these then...

capntroy is online now Find More Posts by capntroy
Old Jul 10, 2012, 04:38 PM
United States, Death Valley
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
Nice, Like the size of this model.

Is this what you need retracting thrusters for?
SilentHunter is offline Find More Posts by SilentHunter
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:37 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentHunter View Post
Nice, Like the size of this model.

Is this what you need retracting thrusters for?
Yes, it would be a nice feature to add. And help around the dock
Nick
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:48 PM
United States, Death Valley
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
I'll cook you up something

Yes, it will be more fun to operate
SilentHunter is offline Find More Posts by SilentHunter
Old Jul 11, 2012, 07:56 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,382 Posts
Quote:
Hi Umi, I have done exactly that, I just have no casting supplies, I'm a little confused on the process once the master is made, is there a tutorial somewhere that outlines the process and materials required.
G'day Nick,

check this place for tutorials/outlines on casting bits, they are also good for ordering the supplies from too!

Adelaide Molding and Casting Supplies they will ship it anywhere in OZ. (So I have been told) www.amcsupplies.com.au

Cheers Bruce
HeavyCruser9 is offline Find More Posts by HeavyCruser9
Old Jul 13, 2012, 04:55 AM
Joined Mar 2007
3,688 Posts
Thanks Bruce, I came across them while Inter-webbing, good to see an endorsement.

On other matters, Now the hull is back on her keel, I started the engineering works, using a 350 watt 2450 RPM scooter motor.

http://secure.oatleyelectronics.com/...6c64eb708257d2

This one is a slightly different spec to mine. I know the BB's I posted on the 1/48 thread use 4 of these geared 2:1
I will probably run direct drive and fiddle with the voltage to get the RPM I need.

I had a major failure in the engineering workshop, was turning up some flanges for shaft couplings and the drive belt snapped on my 7X12. I have ordered replacement parts from littlemachineshop.com.

Nick
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:42 AM
BUILD SOMETHING!
United States, CA, Avalon
Joined Oct 2002
692 Posts
Nick,
I put retracting thrusters on a 1/96 Perry many years ago. Since it was so small, I went with a water pump that shot water out of the propeller hubs with the props stationary. Looked and worked great.....Your going to need something with that huge prop walking single. I read an article many years ago in Proceedings that described using prop walk and thrusters while docking a Perry.

D
CaptDH is offline Find More Posts by CaptDH