HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2003, 02:41 PM
Senior Moment Member
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Jul 2002
1,337 Posts
Electrify AirCore 40 Trainer?

I wanted a trainer that was almost indestructible so, has anyone converted a AirCore 40 Trainer to electric yet? If so, what motor did you use and what is the flying weight? Standard flying weight with slime power is 5.75 lb.
I've flown foamies, but since my flying site has no pavement (just coarse grass), my planes tend to get beat-up pretty badly on landing. Landing gears/wheels are useless, unless the wheels are at least 4 inches in diameter - kinda heavy, eh? Or maybe I just can't land very well...
babblefish is offline Find More Posts by babblefish
Last edited by babblefish; Feb 09, 2003 at 02:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2003, 09:28 PM
17 years on RCG!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 1996
3,110 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this airplane is NOT worth converting!

After I crashed my first .40 trainer 12 years back I bought one. I tried to fly it using the recomended OS .40 FP. It wouldnt even get off the ground!

I put a .51 in it and it flew. But it was one of the worst flying trainers ever! Every instructor I had disliked how it flew and it simply was too heavy - thats why it took a .51 to fly it!

Overall, the added weight and added power resulted in a plane that really decelerated my learning curve. I bought a .60 sized wood trainer and within days I was soloing! The Aircore just was a waste of time and effort. Though it was definitely near indestructable

Airplanes should be built to fly, not survive crashes. This thing is too heavy to fly well enough to be a trainer and youd dump $400 on a brushless motor and batteries to fly this thing.

Are you getting help to fly? If so, then you need a good airplane that is built to fly well. If you are not getting help (You MUST get help if you can - youre wasitng your time if youre not getting help when it is readily available), I can see why you would want a tough airplane. The Hitec SkyScooter Pro II is tough and a good trainer. All the GWS airplanes are tough and easy to fly - the new Slow Stick is perfect for self-taught pilots. And for $35 a kit, you could crash 4 of em and buy new ones every time and spend less than you would on the motor alone for this Aircore trainer.

Again, I hate to bear bad news, but Id hate to see you spend a lot of time and money on something that just isnt meant to be.

Jason
Jason M is offline Find More Posts by Jason M
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2003, 09:45 PM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Aug 2000
525 Posts
If you're looking for something ALMOST indestructible, try an all EPP foamie... I can't think of any trainers off the top of my head...

The next best thing would be a JK_aerotech T-52. It flys OK stock... There have been a lot of threads discussing proper dihedral, ailerons, etc. My father's flys on a geared speed 400, powered by 8x1600 AA NiMh cells... Flight times: 15 Min with throttle management. (very trainer-like flight)

Oh, they're around $30. and take a beating. Yes, it's just a foamie, but it's lighter than Coroplast... My father's T52 weighs in at just over 17oz.

Best of luck!
Spam is offline Find More Posts by Spam
Old Feb 10, 2003, 04:30 AM
Senior Moment Member
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Jul 2002
1,337 Posts
Thanks for the honest replies guys! I kinda thought it was too heavy to convert, just had to hear it from more experienced folks. Actually, I'm not exactly an absolute beginner. I used to fly control line and RC slope gliders, but I wanted to get into powered flight. I did buy a slow stick (what a bargain!) and am doing quite well with it. It flies a bit slower than I'm used to, but I guess that's a good thing. At least I can bring it down now without re-kitting it. Guess I was looking for the next step up in an airplane. Something a bit faster and responsive. I do have a P51 Reno Racer sitting on the shelf... Well, maybe not quite yet.
babblefish is offline Find More Posts by babblefish
Old Feb 10, 2003, 05:27 AM
Oxford, MS
Joined Apr 2002
1,134 Posts
You might want to do a search for "Sureflite" <-- be sure to spell it that way. They make a line of all foam models that are all priced around $50-60 dollars. Including the J-3 Cub which could be converted to electric with a low cost endoplasma motor, and gearbox. They also have a Cessna type plane as far as trainer types go. Plus a pretty decent warbird line. They're nothing fancy but do fly. There's a thread in the foamy section about some folks converting the warbirds to electric.
Hopperfly22 is offline Find More Posts by Hopperfly22
Old Feb 10, 2003, 10:05 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,209 Posts
I gave one away after gluing the fuse up. Realized that this wasn't a good idea after all.

'nuff said...
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood