HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ATTF, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:28 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Yea, well I had my Furion 6 inverted and hit throttle hold. That was exciting. Now my telemetry is programmed to yell at me if the head speed drops below a set value.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:28 AM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Mar 2007
1,681 Posts
I'm sure we've all hit a switch accidentally during a flight. I was playing around with the E640 doing pitch pumps to check the tail holding power and hit my flight mode switch while switching from full negative to positive pitch. This dropped the head speed from 2300 to 2050 and made me think I put the ESC into overcurrent shutdown.
karl k is offline Find More Posts by karl k
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:59 PM
Close enough
United States, NM, Los Alamos
Joined Jun 2008
929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by annarelli View Post
You can make the argument that once you reach a certain point, you program out "normal" mode. Realistically, how often do you use it?

Grampa Tony
That is a very valid point. I don't actually "use" normal mode. Last season I would leave the flight mode switch in idle-up and I would flip out of throttle hold to spool up. This season, I started taking off in normal mode and then switch into idle up once in a hover. But I usually hit throttle hold a foot off the ground to land.

My bigger problem may be that I'm the only heli pilot in my very small club and I have a little voice in my head that says to invert the heli as soon as possible to get a crowd reaction. I may need to work on that personality defect.

Marc
AtomicFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AtomicFlyer
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:10 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2007
1,372 Posts
Resist the urge to show off, it rarely ends well.
dswitkin is offline Find More Posts by dswitkin
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:34 PM
Close enough
United States, NM, Los Alamos
Joined Jun 2008
929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswitkin View Post
Sound advice. I wish I could promise to heed it.

Marc
AtomicFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AtomicFlyer
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:46 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswitkin View Post
Yup. If you ever hear somebody say "Hey guys watch this" you darn well better watch. Odds are its going to be expensive and spectacular.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:30 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,063 Posts
I didn't say one more flight or watch this for this one, though I almost got taken out by a football:
1/2/13 Hexacopter flight -GoPro Hero 3 (3 min 27 sec)
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:09 AM
too cheap to be a Plus user
USA, WA, Richland
Joined Nov 2009
1,283 Posts
Quote:
You can make the argument that once you reach a certain point, you program out "normal" mode. Realistically, how often do you use it?
I still use "normal" mode for a few reasons:

1. old school, I started on a nitro FP heli with an airplane radio - no such thing as throttle hold

2. safety, throttle stick held at 0 by thumb, "normal" mode and TH switch on gives me multiple off switches thus if one is bumped (in theory) the heli should stay put

3. when doing a maiden (insert your own joke here) "normal" mode is usually a tame headspeed and if anything goes wrong on spool up or first hover I can put the thing on the ground ASAP. Yes, hitting TH would accomplish the same thing - see #1 old school (I tend to move the throttle/collective stick before hitting TH)

I'm all for doing whatever you're comfortable with so it is all good.

Doug B.
dougbo is offline Find More Posts by dougbo
Last edited by dougbo; Jan 03, 2013 at 01:11 AM. Reason: typo
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:10 AM
USA, WA, Richland
Joined Nov 2009
1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
Yup. If you ever hear somebody say "Hey guys watch this" you darn well better watch. Odds are its going to be expensive and spectacular.
I appreciate Hance flying lower when I gently suggest that he fly lower...

Doug B.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:06 AM
Grampa Tony
Lawrenceville, GA - Northeast Atlanta
Joined Jan 2009
1,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbo View Post
I still use "normal" mode for a few reasons:

1. old school, I started on a nitro FP heli with an airplane radio - no such thing as throttle hold

2. safety, throttle stick held at 0 by thumb, "normal" mode and TH switch on gives me multiple off switches thus if one is bumped (in theory) the heli should stay put

3. when doing a maiden (insert your own joke here) "normal" mode is usually a tame headspeed and if anything goes wrong on spool up or first hover I can put the thing on the ground ASAP. Yes, hitting TH would accomplish the same thing - see #1 old school (I tend to move the throttle/collective stick before hitting TH)

I'm all for doing whatever you're comfortable with so it is all good.

Doug B.
All good points. I do the belt & suspenders thing myself when I walk to the flight line - heli in right hand with ring finger on anti-rotation bracket (so it won't spin as I'm walking), and transmitter in left hand. Thumb holds throttle at 0, flight mode set to normal, and throttle hold on. I've also got my 500 set up (and will soon do the same to my others) so that the ESC doesn't initialize until I move the throttle trim to almost 0 - and I don't do that until I get to the flight line. The internal BEC is energized as soon as you connect the main battery, so the only thing that isn't armed is the motor.

I'm not saying you SHOULD program out normal mode, I'm just saying it can be a viable option. You'd just have to program in other compensating controls.

Grampa Tony
annarelli is offline Find More Posts by annarelli
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:39 AM
14s 180mah should be enough...
United States, NC, Pfafftown
Joined Feb 2001
3,695 Posts
FYI...Tram's (Superfly company owner) house burned down last night/this morning. Keep him in your thoughts/prayers
IFLYOS is offline Find More Posts by IFLYOS
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:34 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,428 Posts
Oh no!
Praying for him and his family.

Matt
Pickle72 is offline Find More Posts by Pickle72
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:41 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Quote:
All good points. I do the belt & suspenders thing myself when I walk to the flight line - heli in right hand with ring finger on anti-rotation bracket (so it won't spin as I'm walking), and transmitter in left hand. Thumb holds throttle at 0, flight mode set to normal, and throttle hold on. I've also got my 500 set up (and will soon do the same to my others) so that the ESC doesn't initialize until I move the throttle trim to almost 0 - and I don't do that until I get to the flight line. The internal BEC is energized as soon as you connect the main battery, so the only thing that isn't armed is the motor.

I'm not saying you SHOULD program out normal mode, I'm just saying it can be a viable option. You'd just have to program in other compensating controls.

Grampa Tony
If you are flying electric, there is no need to use a throttle curve that is not "flat" - let the governor handle the head speed. If you want multiple head speeds, use the flight mode switch to set the curve at the percentages recommended by the governor. Use throttle hold to set the ESC to "off." Your Tx turns the motor on, and it turns it off. Let the governor do the rest. And yes. an external governorconnected through your FBL unit works better than the one in your ESC.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:08 PM
USA, WA, Richland
Joined Nov 2009
1,283 Posts
Quote:
Right, hopefully my post didn't read like you were advocating removing normal mode. That was not my goal at all.

I'm a big fan of using a method that is comfortable and familiar ... 'cause when things go wrong it'll be your muscle memory that shuts it down.

Edit: forgot to mention that yes, I am weird, I run governor in all 3 flight modes: normal, idleup1 and idleup2.

It's all good.

Doug B.
Last edited by dougbo; Jan 03, 2013 at 03:56 PM. Reason: forgot
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:49 PM
Cowboy up...
United States, NC, Concord
Joined Apr 2006
431 Posts
Did anyone else catch this on engadget.com today?

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/03/b...ds-on/?m=false

Perfect for those "unexpected" landings in the deep corn. As small as it is, you could move from frame to frame as you switch-up aircraft.
Appfan is online now Find More Posts by Appfan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV Ground Station