SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by ATTF, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:42 AM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmoose View Post
You need to check out one of the FlyingGiants video from Joe Nall this year with RJ Gritter and theKM. They do a whole video comparing the Pop Top and the Zwirbelturm. :-)
OK, that was funny.

I'm sure some of you guys have seen it, but Bone Doc has a 3D Clinic video on the Pop Top.... err.... Swirbelturm. It helped me figure it out. Interestingly, I can usually nail them with my little 42" Slick, but I still have trouble with the 68" Velox. I know... bass ackwards.

BoneDoc's 3D Clinic #22: The Pop Top (5 min 54 sec)

Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:48 AM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,356 Posts
not really...the 42" slick is a pop toppin tumblin fool. I still miss mine really need to invest in a 51"
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:52 AM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,506 Posts
Yeah, it's fun to be flying along full power straight and level and bury the sticks in opposite corners. I've never seen anything turn itself wrongside-out so fast before!

The only gripe I have is the flat tail surfaces, they warp too easy. I guess upsizing to a 51" would solve that issue.

Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:50 AM
Durham NC
Joined Jul 2004
3,669 Posts
Quote:
You need to check out one of the FlyingGiants video from Joe Nall this year with RJ Gritter and theKM. They do a whole video comparing the Pop Top and the Zwirbelturm. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY6-dJ68_CM
Matt Chapman happened to stop by our table at dinner one night at XFC. He and RJ had a lengthy discussion about the Pop-top versus the Zwirbelturm. RJ can explain it best but in layman's terms the pop-top breaks (like a snap does) but the Zwirbelturm is more controlled and never breaks. I think I might have also understood that the differences in inertia and gyroscopic forces between full scale planes and model planes make it difficult (or impossible) for a model to do a true Zwirbelturm. And similarly, difficult (or impossible) for a full scale plane to do a true pop-top. I think Matt did one in the Friday air show but I can't remember. On Saturday we got to put a camera in his cockpit, but he didn't do a Zwirbelturm. However he did a lot of other amazing stuff and the footage is great. A short teaser film is here. Full flight will post later this week.
fmidgett is offline Find More Posts by fmidgett
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:37 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,060 Posts
Awesome video one of my dad's friends put together:
2012 Raytheon Award Video (9 min 48 sec)
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Jun 21, 2012, 06:25 PM
I drank it, and it is good.
United States, OH, Powell
Joined Sep 2009
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswitkin View Post
Also, if you watch the Top Gear episode, they're totally unusable as track cars. But they sure look cool.

Daniel
You have to take what you see on that show with a grain of salt. Lots of 'entertainment' added in. Tesla sued them over that episode.

I would still love to go for a ride in one tho...
mustang347 is offline Find More Posts by mustang347
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:59 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,060 Posts
I'm getting some new equipment soon, it's time for an upgrade. I believe I've already decided on a Powerlab 6 for a new charger, but I need a new transmitter as well. I want to stick with DSM2/X to avoid swapping receivers in all my planes. Any of you have preferences for radios? Right now I have a DX6i, but I'm between a dx7s and tracking down a DSMX JR9303. Another option (a little too expensive, but my first choice if I come up with the money) would be an Aurora 9 with a DSMX module in it...but that's out for cost reasons.

So let me hear what you have to say, or if you have any other suggestions! I really just need more model memory and a 3 position switch for flaps at the moment, but who knows what I'll need next
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:20 AM
Joined Mar 2011
4,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang347 View Post
You have to take what you see on that show with a grain of salt. Lots of 'entertainment' added in. Tesla sued them over that episode.

I would still love to go for a ride in one tho...
Tesla has tried to sue the twice now because of that and both times they have lost/gotten tossed out of court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
I'm getting some new equipment soon, it's time for an upgrade. I believe I've already decided on a Powerlab 6 for a new charger, but I need a new transmitter as well. I want to stick with DSM2/X to avoid swapping receivers in all my planes. Any of you have preferences for radios? Right now I have a DX6i, but I'm between a dx7s and tracking down a DSMX JR9303. Another option (a little too expensive, but my first choice if I come up with the money) would be an Aurora 9 with a DSMX module in it...but that's out for cost reasons.

So let me hear what you have to say, or if you have any other suggestions! I really just need more model memory and a 3 position switch for flaps at the moment, but who knows what I'll need next
your going to find everybody has a different opinion on this one. if your dead set on sticking with spektrum make sure anything you own that you really like has a dsmx receiver in it. The dx8 and dx7s are both solid choices in that case.

Hitec A9 is an excellent radio and has possibly the cheapest oem receivers (6ch hitec receivers are $40) plus you have the added benefit of built in voltage telemetry in every optima receiver, it is by far the easiest radio to program, and the touch screen is super nice.

Futaba 8fg is a great radio as well, latency is super low and it is a very reliable radio link. however oem receivers are probably the most expensive (you do have the option of the FRsky compatible receivers though which work great), there is no telemetry, and programming requires the manual for a little while until you get used to it.

If i learned anything while researching radio systems is that not a single one offers all the options out there and you just need to decide on what you want, i suggest if you can at least hold each radio and see what is comfortable. I personally cant stand how cheap the spektrum radios feel and my thumbs have a hard time reaching the corners, hitec is a little heavy but the rubber grips and switch layout is ultra comfortable in my hands, futaba is also comfortable to me nice and thin i just wish it had some rubber grip like the a9 to make it perfect.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:48 AM
I drank it, and it is good.
United States, OH, Powell
Joined Sep 2009
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post

Hitec A9 is an excellent radio and has possibly the cheapest oem receivers (6ch hitec receivers are $40) ....
Actually, the new Spectrum AR400 DSMX Rx is only $30. 4 channel yes, but that is usually all that is needed.
mustang347 is offline Find More Posts by mustang347
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:49 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,726 Posts
But Hitec comes with Pixie dust
bildo baggins is online now Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:38 AM
Joined Mar 2011
4,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang347 View Post
Actually, the new Spectrum AR400 DSMX Rx is only $30. 4 channel yes, but that is usually all that is needed.
only if you want to risk running you ailerons on a y-harness or all your planes only have a single aileron servo.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:50 AM
Grampa Tony
Lawrenceville, GA - Northeast Atlanta
Joined Jan 2009
1,489 Posts
Happy birthday to one of the godfathers of RC podcasting. I'm raising my jar of sweet tea in a toast. Tonight it'll be a jar of "sun tea".

Grampa Tony
annarelli is offline Find More Posts by annarelli
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:15 AM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by annarelli View Post
Happy birthday to one of the godfathers of RC podcasting. I'm raising my jar of sweet tea in a toast. Tonight it'll be a jar of "sun tea".

Grampa Tony
+1 Happy Birthday, brotha!
djmoose is offline Find More Posts by djmoose
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:21 AM
14s 180mah should be enough...
United States, NC, Pfafftown
Joined Feb 2001
3,694 Posts
JAR toast!

Happy Birthday, Diggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by annarelli View Post

Grampa Tony
Quote:
+1 Happy Birthday, brotha!
IFLYOS is online now Find More Posts by IFLYOS
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:14 PM
14s 180mah should be enough...
United States, NC, Pfafftown
Joined Feb 2001
3,694 Posts
If anyone is interested at all in learning more about amateur radio, this weekend is Field Day, which is a nationwide event where amateur radio clubs and groups go set up in parks, parking lots, mountain tops, and other places, for the purpose of testing our equipment and skills in an environment other than our homes and clubhouses.

If you want to see what it looks like when we deploy for an emergency, head over to http://www.arrl.org/field-day-locator
and put in your zip code. The map will list the sites nearest you that you can go check out.

If you ever wondered how the folks in NYC were able to get the supplies and such they needed after the towers fell, it was because of amateur radio operators. Same thing for the folks in New Orleans after Katrina. With equipment deployed in the field just like you would see this weekend at Field day sites across the country. Allot of times, we are the "communications first responders" when the internet and cell phones as well as other communication methods go down.

My own club has deployed teams in response to 9/11, Katrina, the 1985 Mexico City Earthquake (8.0), as well as hurricanes Hugo, Bertha, Dennis and Isabel, and countless other winter storms and wild fires in the mid to western area of NC.

I just thought I would throw that out there in case anyone was interested in seeing what a few of us on this thread do for our "other" hobby..
IFLYOS is online now Find More Posts by IFLYOS