HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ATTF, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 04, 2011, 11:32 AM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintauri View Post
That will do it. Even my Nikon D90 takes some pretty nice video at 720. But that's due to some nice lens's and a bigger sensor then most of these cameras actual size.
My wife has one of the Sony SLT A55 DSLR's with some fairly high end lenses and yeah they will shoot very nice video. The jump in quality between her old Minolta DSLR and this new Sony was amazing.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2011, 05:27 PM
Consumer of Toast
USA, NY, Ashville
Joined Nov 2010
258 Posts
New plane!

Here is a video I took at HEF this weekend. Its a new 3D Hobby Shop Foam and balsa plane. Joe Smith is the pilot.

3D Hobby Shop 48 inch Extra Joe Smith Indoor (3 min 40 sec)
KrazyKoots is offline Find More Posts by KrazyKoots
Last edited by KrazyKoots; Dec 05, 2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old Dec 04, 2011, 05:30 PM
Grampa Tony
Lawrenceville, GA - Northeast Atlanta
Joined Jan 2009
1,487 Posts
Walked in the front door of Fry's (a BIG big-box store) and saw a pallet of Colossus coax helis. I didn't buy one - I only put it on the cart so you can get an idea of the size. It's 4' (actually 47 1/2 inches), 3.5 channels (what does that mean?), with built-in gyroscopic stabilization! All for only $187!

Picture this: some knucklehead opens this Christmas morning. Puts in the 23 or so batteries necessary, then tries to fly this gyroscopically-stabilized two-rotor buzz-saw in his living room. What's the worst that could happen?

My 10-second look revealed three things: 1) it looks like it has an EasyStar-sized brushed motor, 2) the blades are plastic and look to be about 350's or so, and 3) I don't want to be near or know about anyone that gets one of these for Christmas.

For the same money you can get 4 air-swimmers and a helium tank - more fun AND less bloodshed.

Grampa Tony
annarelli is offline Find More Posts by annarelli
Old Dec 04, 2011, 06:12 PM
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by annarelli View Post
Walked in the front door of Fry's (a BIG big-box store) and saw a pallet of Colossus coax helis. I didn't buy one - I only put it on the cart so you can get an idea of the size. It's 4' (actually 47 1/2 inches), 3.5 channels (what does that mean?), with built-in gyroscopic stabilization! All for only $187!

Picture this: some knucklehead opens this Christmas morning. Puts in the 23 or so batteries necessary, then tries to fly this gyroscopically-stabilized two-rotor buzz-saw in his living room. What's the worst that could happen?

My 10-second look revealed three things: 1) it looks like it has an EasyStar-sized brushed motor, 2) the blades are plastic and look to be about 350's or so, and 3) I don't want to be near or know about anyone that gets one of these for Christmas.

For the same money you can get 4 air-swimmers and a helium tank - more fun AND less bloodshed.

Grampa Tony

Is that your purse GT?

I tried to fly a cheap/toy like that for a friend. The one in question had the rudder reversed and there was no way to fix it.
Old Dec 04, 2011, 06:17 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
Is that your purse GT?

I tried to fly a cheap/toy like that for a friend. The one in question had the rudder reversed and there was no way to fix it.
swap 2 wires on the Tx pot? pain to do, but doable.
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Dec 04, 2011, 06:34 PM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,378 Posts
I saw one of those the other day too. I thought the same thing GT.
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2011, 06:51 PM
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
swap 2 wires on the Tx pot? pain to do, but doable.
Even that isn't possible. Dave Herbert reviewed the same helicopter. I came across his video when I was trying to find a way to fix my friends.

HoverLite is WORST HELICOPTER we have ever tested! (9 min 56 sec)
Old Dec 04, 2011, 06:53 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,076 Posts
Grampa Tony ,

I have seen this "Thing" twice at the PX. They have it out of the box and sitting there. And every time I ask if they can fly it and I always get the same answer "No."
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Trinidad Scorpion
Old Dec 04, 2011, 07:34 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPtero View Post
Tim,

What are you powering your Rascal with? I think Diggs is using an E-Flite 110. Who's got the third one?

I'm looking at putting an AXI 5320/28 with a JETI Advance 90 Plus ESC into mine. I need to run the numbers, but think this'll be plenty of power. I expect to run about 10S.

--
Tom
Sorry been slacking and not online as much lately. My setup is.....

Hacker A60 24s
10S 5000
CC 120 HV ESC
Xoar 20x10 Sword white prop - For electric

If I were to do it over, I would keep it all the same with one change.

Hacker A60 14L

My motor gets warmer than I like and I think the 24S is just a bit too small. Plenty of power but I am guessing it will cook a bit prematurely. The 14L would likely come down much cooler. If you base the setup around something similar, it will be just fine. 10S is plenty, and 12S gets a bit over the top, but never nothing wrong with that.

Congrats on being one of the first to get one of the new ones. I can't wait to see the changes. Would love to have flaps.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Dec 04, 2011, 11:35 PM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Mar 2007
1,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
Even that isn't possible. Dave Herbert reviewed the same helicopter. I came across his video when I was trying to find a way to fix my friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev5_afzGFYY&sns=em
I found that video oddly hilarious.

No matter how you try and fix that heli, the engineers are one step ahead of you, foiling your attempts to have fun.
karl k is offline Find More Posts by karl k
Old Dec 05, 2011, 05:52 AM
KJ4YNM
Manassas, VA
Joined Sep 2006
1,406 Posts
Thanks! Although a bit premature on the congrats until it actually shows on the doorstep.

You're running a hacker? Then you changed from your original post on the Rascal thread?

I'll keep the hacker in mind, but for now will plan on my AXI since I have it in hand.

--
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs View Post
Sorry been slacking and not online as much lately. My setup is.....

Hacker A60 24s
10S 5000
CC 120 HV ESC
Xoar 20x10 Sword white prop - For electric

If I were to do it over, I would keep it all the same with one change.

Hacker A60 14L

My motor gets warmer than I like and I think the 24S is just a bit too small. Plenty of power but I am guessing it will cook a bit prematurely. The 14L would likely come down much cooler. If you base the setup around something similar, it will be just fine. 10S is plenty, and 12S gets a bit over the top, but never nothing wrong with that.

Congrats on being one of the first to get one of the new ones. I can't wait to see the changes. Would love to have flaps.

Diggs
RCPtero is offline Find More Posts by RCPtero
Old Dec 05, 2011, 08:15 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPtero View Post
Thanks! Although a bit premature on the congrats until it actually shows on the doorstep.

You're running a hacker? Then you changed from your original post on the Rascal thread?

I'll keep the hacker in mind, but for now will plan on my AXI since I have it in hand.

--
Tom
Its always been a hacker. Not sure what else I was considering, got a link to the post you are talking about?

This motor would be awesome in the 110.

http://www.modelmotors.cz/index.php?...e=14&line=GOLD

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Dec 05, 2011, 09:27 PM
Durham NC
Joined Jul 2004
3,669 Posts
Just posted winners video from the ATTF November drawing on the FlightPass FREE page. Congrats to the three winners!
fmidgett is offline Find More Posts by fmidgett
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 05, 2011, 09:44 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmidgett View Post
And my streak continues!
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member