HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ATTF, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 07:26 PM
rather fly, but this'll do
Portland, OR
Joined Feb 2008
784 Posts
That charging station is awesome. So if anything starts to go awry, you can lickity-split roll it outside, or into a swimming pool, or off a cliff - whatever it takes.
krefi is offline Find More Posts by krefi
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2009, 07:46 PM
More Trim
Raleigh NC
Joined Jan 2007
505 Posts
That is pretty cool. You just need a remote controlled motor so you can move it around easy. LOL
But it is pretty sweet.
More Trim is online now Find More Posts by More Trim
Old Mar 20, 2009, 08:03 PM
Fly it like a rental!
San Diego, CA
Joined Feb 2009
277 Posts
New Garage

hoverover,

Glad to hear you are up and running again.. I like the rollable chraging stand. How about so pics of the new garage!
ScaleNVYflyr is offline Find More Posts by ScaleNVYflyr
Old Mar 20, 2009, 09:52 PM
13 year old MANIAC!!
Melbourne,Australia
Joined Jul 2008
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by More Trim
That is pretty cool. You just need a remote controlled motor so you can move it around easy. LOL
But it is pretty sweet.
Have a switch on your TX so when you need to move it just flcik the switch and control

LOL redroste295
redroste295 is offline Find More Posts by redroste295
Old Mar 20, 2009, 11:24 PM
bad speller extraordinair
Tucson
Joined Jun 2007
138 Posts
The places I've seen insert material is:Hope this helps. Not sure of your price targets.

Clint
TucsonClint is offline Find More Posts by TucsonClint
Old Mar 21, 2009, 01:04 AM
Joined Feb 2007
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleNVYflyr
hoverover,

Glad to hear you are up and running again.. I like the rollable chraging stand. How about so pics of the new garage!
So you want some pics of the new workshop? Actually, I am pretty stoked... Whatcha' think?

BTW, thanks to everyone for your encouragement during this situation... I only know most of you by username but I have to say, you really made me feel like part of the family!
hoverover is offline Find More Posts by hoverover
Old Mar 21, 2009, 01:06 AM
Joined Feb 2007
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krefi
That charging station is awesome. So if anything starts to go awry, you can lickity-split roll it outside, or into a swimming pool, or off a cliff - whatever it takes.
Swimming pool???? Hmmmmmm????? Let me run THAT one by the wife! :^)
Old Mar 21, 2009, 10:08 AM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Wow, I am envious of that setup! Very well done. You have tons of space to build. You just need a bandsaw and tablesaw and a big CNC machine I would take those over a pool anyday!

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Mar 21, 2009, 10:17 AM
Joined Feb 2007
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs
You just need a bandsaw and tablesaw and a big CNC machine I would take those over a pool anyday!

Diggs
How bout' I hire you to build for me while I lounge around the pool??? Seriously, the cool thing here is that I have the option. I have outlets everywhere - including in the ceiling in the middle - so I could build in a huge table-saw workbench in the middle!!!

I still want my pool though
Old Mar 21, 2009, 12:43 PM
spring,tx
Joined Aug 2006
444 Posts
try an upholstery shop or craft store, different density foams for cushions and pillows
ashewb is offline Find More Posts by ashewb
Old Mar 21, 2009, 01:23 PM
Joined Feb 2007
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashewb
try an upholstery shop or craft store, different density foams for cushions and pillows
Hey... I like that idea a lot! Thanks! Have a great weekend!
Old Mar 21, 2009, 02:54 PM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,137 Posts
I just wanted to post my experience with a local club as another example of why club and AMA membership is dying.

I am a former nitro flyer and former AMA member but was away from the hobby for several years. When I saw all the cheaper electric stuff that has become available in the past few years, I decided to pick it back up. I now have several planes and helis and thought I might look into one of the local clubs. I stopped by and watched as several very good pilots enjoyed flying their planes. I talked with a few members and they were very nice people. I asked about joining their club but was disappointed with what I learned.
1. They don't allow AMA Park Pilot members to fly.
2. One must qualify with a nitro plane before being allowed to fly without an instructor.
3. They charge an extra fee for the first year of membership.
Well, it's their club, their decision, and I guess they'll be keeping it to themselves. I know you guys mentioned larger nitro planes as a progressive step up the ladder but many of us have no desire to fly anything but electric. I might get back into nitro when I have more money, time, and space but not now. I just wanted a place to fly that didn't depend on the activity of others such as softball and soccer games.

So, I think the AMA should encourage clubs to make new membership easier. They should drop extra fees and welcome electric flyers with their Park Pilot membership. I realize that clubs may not want inexperienced flyers with their annoying little airplanes getting in the way but the truth is, bigger planes and helis are contagious and these pilots won't be inexperienced for long if they continue flying.

That being said, I plan to join AMA as a Park Pilot this year and frequent a couple of local parks. There are several of us that gather on weekends and have a good time. I know one other pilot is a former AMA member but I don't think any of them are current members. Maybe organizing something at the park is a better option - but is it what's best for the club?

Chris
chris1379 is offline Find More Posts by chris1379
Old Mar 21, 2009, 03:09 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
Very true. I don't see nitro in my future.
I have the park pilot membership myself.

1. Sounds like lack of education
2. That's like me saying "show me your Windows 95 skills before I hire you". eh? most new guys wont know what your talking about
3. Not excited to have you.
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Old Mar 21, 2009, 04:36 PM
Miami, FL
Joined Mar 2007
683 Posts
do they make you provide the glow trainer, or are they providing it for you to see if you can fly while on a buddy box?
Figure.N9ne is offline Find More Posts by Figure.N9ne
Old Mar 21, 2009, 04:51 PM
Master of the Touch and Tumble
On the green side of the Grass
Joined Jan 2005
701 Posts
The park Pilot program restricts you to electric and under a certain weight I believe. Nitro clubs donít want the responsibility of tracking the type of membership each member has and then have to police that PP members only fly what their coverage allows. It is the insurance restrictions that are driving it. Park Pilot membership cost less because the smaller planes are less of liability. The real benefit of AMA membership in my opinion is the political clout an organization with a large membership has as an advocate for the modeling hobby in issues with government.
RadioActive is offline Find More Posts by RadioActive