SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by ATTF, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 01:48 PM
Joined Aug 2007
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlaneChris
Thanks, Jim! Great feedback. You're sure right about the sports.... it's the same way here too. And please don't get me started.... it disgusts me to see how much money is spent by our schools on sports programs, while they continue to graduate kids who can't read or write... Anyway.....

There's no doubt that a PPP compliant model is less dangerous than a larger one, but the potential is certainly still there for injury. I find it ironic that the parents are quite happy to let junior run around and crash into other kids, but the mere thought of a 'toy airplane' flying in a nearby field is enough to make them scream 'danger'

-Chris
Ah, but getting injured is part of "doing" sports, but it's part of "being in the vicinity" of modelers.

Anyway, I also didn't like the money I saw pored into jock sports when I was a kid, but now that I have a kid and she plays a mess of sports, and her girlfriends come over to practice stuff, I'm more in favor... She goes to the park to shoot hoops, and not to make out, smoke cigs, or try pot. At least as far as I know...

And it isn't me you'd have to worry about... :-) I've coached kids soccer... and there are parents who strongly feel that the only thing between their little angel and their goals for the next Mia Hamm is your inept coaching or being less than thrilled that their kid just stole the ball from a teammate, took it the length of the field, and scored.

I'd rather catch a nitro in my teeth than propose to a group of those people that they have to drive to more away games so that I can fly around upside down.

And here's a new thought, not as signiicant... if dad sees park pilots and says, "Hey, I used to want to do that, I think I'll get Junior and me a plane, come down here, and check it out..." that would be good.

But if junior sees it after soccer practice and comes home to announce that he really really really wants a new expensive hobby funded, has to have a tx that "will last him," and needs several hundred $$ (not including tools) so he can hang around with some old farts at the park and break stuff.... and wants to skip practice on Thursdays to do so... well, that might get a different reception.

But I'm not saying it's a lost cause, I'm just illuminating how hard a task it may be. Mentor programs and demonstrations are definitely a great way we can help. As well as paying our AMA dues, and lobbying everybody we encounter to do the same... It's not about the AMA having a larger membership of "voters," in this case it's about the AMA being able to demonstrate a larger insured community constituency who would benefit from civic support.

Jim
trickybit is offline Find More Posts by trickybit
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:28 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,499 Posts
So when are you going to join us on the show and share your eloquent words with all the listeners?

-Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:35 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
SEFF sponsors

ATTF is giving away a 1hr spot on either ATTF or IH to the winner. This could be a fan or a vendor. Also, Diggs and I will be handing out stickers and such at SEFF 09.

So buy your raffle tickets for SEFF!
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:41 PM
Joined Aug 2007
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlaneChris
So when are you going to join us on the show and share your eloquent words with all the listeners?

-Chris
Be so very careful what you wish for...

Right now, my main topic of conversation is "Why I chose to back off R/C instead of foosball."

Maybe we can spin off All Things That Foos.

Jim
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:52 PM
Did you get it on video?
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFBurke
SEFF sponsors

ATTF is giving away a 1hr spot on either ATTF or IH to the winner. This could be a fan or a vendor. Also, Diggs and I will be handing out stickers and such at SEFF 09.

So buy your raffle tickets for SEFF!

this could be dangerous...

where do I sign up?
Flying-Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Flying-Monkey
Old Mar 18, 2009, 03:33 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickybit
Maybe we can spin off All Things That Foos.

Jim
But I pity the foos who would listen to it.

-Chris
Old Mar 18, 2009, 03:46 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,748 Posts
Quote:
One of the big civic topics in my upscale burb is the shortage of fields for soccer. Good luck getting 3pm-dark Wed and Sat in this place.
Jim
Hey, you should come down to my county. They shut down all the soccer fields in the parks since last year due to the drought. No trouble getting space here.
rpstar is offline Find More Posts by rpstar
Old Mar 18, 2009, 05:58 PM
Joined Aug 2007
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpstar
Hey, you should come down to my county. They shut down all the soccer fields in the parks since last year due to the drought. No trouble getting space here.
Sweet. Would have my kid bouncing off the walls all summer, but it sounds just perfect for nitro!

jim
Old Mar 18, 2009, 08:48 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Diggs, the SEFF episode was the best interview I've ever heard you conduct. You really seemed prepared with a list of great questions that would really benefit somebody going to SEFF, and you gave the guy time and space to give good answers and convey his great attitude, but kept the pace moving along.

It probably helped you prep that you knew all the answers beforehand from your experience, but converting your experience into a great interview is why they pay you the big bucks.

Or should, anyway...

Nice job, great episode, and good editing. I actually got the tug to go to SEFF to eat the food and dig that hospitality. Jamie's color commentary was also inspired, as usual.

Rub off on some of the EPP, buddy.

Thanks for the great episode.

Jim
Thanks!!! That had to be the easiest interview I had ever done I follow their thread and knew what questions people tend to ask, and having been there 2 years in a row and it being one of my favorite things to do just made it simple. But thanks for the feedback!

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Mar 18, 2009, 11:23 PM
Helis Fall With Grace & Style
Kalispell Montana BIG SKY COUNTRY!
Joined Aug 2007
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinB
Great video! There was only one thing I noticed; the sound cuts off abruptly when you black out the screen to show a question. (ie: "Why did you choose...") It is a minor thing, but my brain picked it up. A short fade might smooth it out and make it seem more polished - at least to my amateur eye and ear.
Colin
Thanks for the input, I didn't really seem to notice it but I am going to listen again and that would be an easy fix. Much appreciated for pointing that out.

REGARDING IH Episode. Great show, AMA IMO is definitely something I think as modelers we neeed to be involved in and I always recommend custoemrs to at least check it out and read about it. I will be putting up a link to it on my site. I am pretty lucky here in Montana. There is all the room you could need to fly here, especially in the winter at the parks. There isn't a soul in sight at the soccer, baseball, football and any other field.

Trickybit has some very good points as well. I feel we all just need to do our part in educating people and getting them on the right track.

Keep up the great work!

Kyle
www.RcSuperSales.net
RcSuperSales-Net is offline Find More Posts by RcSuperSales-Net
Old Mar 19, 2009, 01:22 AM
Got more toys than my kid
USA, CA, Fremont
Joined Sep 2004
3,676 Posts
So, I completed InsideHeli, the big five-oh! Yes! We finally get some details on the ParkFlyer program!

This program has been through a lot of revisions before it was enacted, and I confess I was NOT a supporter of the original concept. It appears AMA has done a pretty good job of working out the kinks. So, how about a brief Q&A of the Parkflyer program, since the concept really caused some heated debates in the past:

1. What's the point of the Parkflyer membership?
Cheaper membership for those that fly smaller aircraft with a quarterly publication dedicated to Park Flyers. For those that start with a $100 plane, a $58 membership appears pretty steep. I do kind of wish they stuck with the standard Model Aviation magazine so they could see the bigger stuff more readily, but I understand that many thought AMA had no agenda with Parkflyers since it's still a small percentage of the magazine. A dedicated publication is more reassuring.

2. Can I fly at other clubs if I don't have the "full" membership?
Unless the club disallows it specifically, you can fly your parkflyers there. I've yet to see an issue. However, you are limited to "non-rule-book" sanctioned events. No biggie, since most fun-fly events are "non-rule-book" events.

3. So, what am I missing out on?
You have less insurance, and the insurance is only applicable if you are flying a park-flyer model. You are limited to what events you can attend, and some clubs may decide you can't join unless you get full membership (if they are a large-scale club, for instance).

4. Why do I need a license to fly anyways? Who are they to tell me I can't fly big airplanes?
It's not a license, and you don't need one. Currently, any person can fly an RC model that is within AMA "jurisdiction." AMA is a club membership that comes with a magazine and some insurance (just in case). You know why we have bike lanes? Because lots of bicyclists got together and made a statement to the city. Same thing with RC Models. By becoming a member, you become one of the thousands of voices that demand a fair piece of sky to fly in and a decent plot of ground to land on. You know how politics work: if it's a couple of kids...then the heck with them. If it's a large non-profit corporation with representatives in both the FAA and FCC and are actively involved in multiple education programs...well, it's worth their time to listen!

5. I like my open field! Why would I want AMA to take it over?
For most, this will sound like troll-bait. It is troll-bait. Unfortunately, it keeps coming up...again...and again...
If you are already allowed to fly at the field, then congratulations! AMA is not going to send anyone down to change things. However, if you have a nice park or open field that you aren't allowed to fly in, perhaps AMA can give you a hand opening the door. See point #4. A mayor won't budge for a couple of kids, but if you gather enough people (I think it's 5?) that you can create an AMA club, then you can get AMA's guidance and support to show the Mayor the rewards of permitting some air-time for the local youngsters! School projects, air shows, events, etc. City councils LOVE structures and rules that help cover their arses, so AMA can provide that in a ready-made package: insurance, rules, and all! AMA is not interested in the open fields; it is interested in opening more fields in America.

6. Cool. I like to see where my money is going. What have they been doing lately?
My favorite question. We already know that AMA got us some dedicated AM and FM frequencies (which they are still actively protecting from corporations who want to re-purpose them). We also know they established the insurance program that covers the land-owner when he permits flying on his property. What else?
A. As mentioned earlier, AMA is working with the FAA to prevent RC models from getting lumped together with the Unmanned Aerial Systems. It would truly suck if every plane you built had to be certified by someone.
B. Getting RC Modeling into schools. This is important! Hook them in while their young! More pilots mean more RC goodies are purchased, which means more RC goodies will be developed and produced.
C. Provide representatives to answer questions. It's really great when confronted by authorities to pull out a Model Aviation magazine, show some stuff, and then give them contact information if they have any questions on safety and regulations. It prevents the fear-mongering. The AMA reps are pretty good about picking up the phone.

There's a bunch of other stuff I'm not remembering, but the bottom line is that the AMA is a good outfit. It was awesome to have Mark on the show talk about it.

Oh, by the way! If you pay for the $30 Park Flyer membership, you'll get $50 of coupons at a few Hobby Shops. Hobby-Lobby is the first one listed!

Great show, guys!
macr0t0r is offline Find More Posts by macr0t0r
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2009, 04:26 AM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,439 Posts
Well said!
_Lunchbox_ is offline Find More Posts by _Lunchbox_
Old Mar 19, 2009, 07:12 AM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,499 Posts
Excellent, Jim! Thanks! I think we need to read that as "listener mail" on our next recording.

-Chris
Old Mar 19, 2009, 11:24 AM
FlyLowGirl
Raleigh
Joined Aug 2008
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmidgett
How about Brianna? Are you counting her?
she'd be too far away..wouldn't she?!?
FlyLowGirl1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyLowGirl1
Old Mar 20, 2009, 06:14 PM
Joined Feb 2007
99 Posts
Completely Off Subject!!!

Hey gang,
Just finished my workshop remodel after our Christmas LiPo Fire! The place looks and feels great. Even added a new portable charging station (see picture). Anyway, I am looking for help finding an obscure thing: Large Case Foam. I have a hard-shell golf case which fits my 600-sized heli and want to line it with foam (you know, the way they T-Rex cases are lined). Purchasing a piece large enough is ridiculously expensive. So I think the way to go is in layers. Does anyone know where I can get foam like this?

Muchas Gracias!
hoverover is offline Find More Posts by hoverover