SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by ATTF, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 03, 2009, 09:55 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2007
1,372 Posts
Have you guys seen Night Flyer fishing from a Blade 400?

RC Helicopter FISHING! Dave tries hand at "Heli Fishing" (3 min 16 sec)

I'm still chuckling,
Daniel
dswitkin is offline Find More Posts by dswitkin
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2009, 10:03 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,855 Posts
I know I hit you guys with the fire hose and that must have been a real monster to edit. Anyway, everyone is entitled to their opinion and if nothing else I hope it gets people talking about and looking into this issue.
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Old Mar 04, 2009, 01:19 AM
13 year old MANIAC!!
Melbourne,Australia
Joined Jul 2008
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswitkin
Have you guys seen Night Flyer fishing from a Blade 400?

I'm still chuckling,
Daniel
I haven't watched that in a while now.
@ ATTF CREW: Last show you said you guys were getting ready to get back into night flying, I've meaning to suggest this to you guys for a while but I haven't yet

Mabye you could to another show about night flying but bring Dave on the show? I've been watching his videos for about a year and a bit And I think he was one of the first to do night flying back in the day so mabye he could give a little light on the history of night flying.

This is JUST A SUGGESTION I don't care if you reply back "That idea sucks". Because I'm not running the show, If I was it wouldn't have made it past the first episode.

redroste295
redroste295 is offline Find More Posts by redroste295
Old Mar 04, 2009, 03:37 AM
Got more toys than my kid
USA, CA, Fremont
Joined Sep 2004
3,676 Posts
I'm back! What did I miss? Whoa....10 pages of posts...
Still trying to get caught up on Podcasts. Real life threw me a real bender, so I've been out of the loop (I re-started my Master's degree, my wife got laid off, and I've been trying to repair a damaged house).

Anyhow, I'm still trying to get caught up on Podcasts. One trend I've been hearing is the whole "how to deal with kids around airplanes" from Diggs and Jamie. I have two kids of my own, and I feel your pain. They are fearless little buggers. Years ago, I was flying in a field with an old 0.35cu powered Fokker DVII when 3 boys pedaled up to watch. On my landing approach, the particularly idiotic one decided to jump out and play chicken with the 10-inch prop. Back then, planes were heavier, so pointing the nose straight-up just wasn't an option. I ditched the airplane (better than a lawsuit). I since have flown with a "spotter." We would take turns making sure everyone stayed back. It's frustrating, if you try to instill too much fear into them, you generate a rumor of how dangerous the planes are. If you make it sound safe, they don't mind you enough. This is pretty much why I mostly fly at clubs now. I believe Model Aviation had an article about kids around planes two months ago. Too lengthy to summarize here.

So, Inside Heli is seriously grabbing the celebrities anymore! Damn, the people you guys get to chat one-on-one with! It almost makes it worth the late hours editing, eh?

I'm trying to marathon the podcasts right now, so I'll be skipping a few episodes for comments. However, I AM looking forward to the podcast about the new FAA committee. Generally speaking, the committee is suppose to be working on UAVS that are NOT covered by AMA specifications. It should be a good thing because we don't want commercial entities claiming to be in AMA's sphere and then causing problems and conflicts in national airspace. That would make things ugly for us modelers.

AMA is pretty clear about their sphere of influence and how they fit with AC 91-57: it is for any and all modelers (not just members) who fly model aircraft of a limited weight, within a limited altitude, with eyes-on the aircraft (pilot or spotter), under direct control, and does it for recreational purposes. Police forces or commercial groups who toss up an automated, fly-by-wire UAV to fly over highways are NOT covered by AC 91-57...period. Having them try to duck under AMA's protective umbrella when they are called to the carpet is more damaging to our hobby than this new FAA committee will be.

Anyhow, I'm getting ahead of myself. Time to catch up on podcasts! Thanks guys!

- Jim
macr0t0r is offline Find More Posts by macr0t0r
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2009, 08:09 AM
Something Witty.
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2007
896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaffen
Woosh!
hahaha, yep, right over
Court461 is offline Find More Posts by Court461
Old Mar 04, 2009, 09:47 AM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,812 Posts
Along the "fish" theme...I got this link the other day and it is VERY COOL IMHO!

http://www.flixxy.com/air-fish-rc-airship.htm

I have to admit, before I saw it move I thought it looked lame. And then when it moved I was like, WHOA, that is EERY!

Pete
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood
Old Mar 04, 2009, 12:45 PM
Fly it like a rental!
San Diego, CA
Joined Feb 2009
277 Posts
Too many planes

You guys talked about having too many planes and filling up a Dx-7 .. Try having a wife that likes to fly. We are both learning to fly and have 4 planes already.
ScaleNVYflyr is offline Find More Posts by ScaleNVYflyr
Old Mar 04, 2009, 12:58 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
Ok, these fish things are both awesome!!

Hey Jim, WB!!!
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Old Mar 04, 2009, 05:49 PM
More Trim
Raleigh NC
Joined Jan 2007
505 Posts
Sorry bad news. It get worse lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleNVYflyr
You guys talked about having too many planes and filling up a Dx-7 .. Try having a wife that likes to fly. We are both learning to fly and have 4 planes already.
More Trim is offline Find More Posts by More Trim
Old Mar 04, 2009, 05:53 PM
More Trim
Raleigh NC
Joined Jan 2007
505 Posts
Dude that is so funny and so cool.

QUOTE=dswitkin]Have you guys seen Night Flyer fishing from a Blade 400?

RC Helicopter FISHING! Dave tries hand at "Heli Fishing" (3 min 16 sec)

I'm still chuckling,
Daniel[/QUOTE]
More Trim is offline Find More Posts by More Trim
Old Mar 04, 2009, 05:53 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleNVYflyr
Learning to fly and having too many planes.... Hmmm, I have been there and still am!

Foam is your buddy. Buy some sheets and build build build and stock up on cheap motors, ESCs and RX's. OH, www.LightflightRC.com or www.ToddsModels.com for your receivers. I would have saved tons of cash if I would have found foam earlier. Happy to hear the wife enjoys flying too!

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Mar 06, 2009, 12:12 AM
USA, CA, Fremont
Joined Sep 2004
3,676 Posts
All righty! Let's see if I can get back onto some sort of a schedule here. After that marathon of ATTF, my head is swimming with a ridiculous pile of motor info, aircraft events, and specs on all sorts of new goodies. For some reason, my wife has hidden my wallet. I guess that makes her a "disabler."

Let's just pick up with the last episode: ATTF #84: the FAA ARC versus cUAV and RC!

First off, I just need to nail down a critical point. I think Patrick did a great job of explaining the situation and how his organization and AMA will both be affected by the FAA ARC (Aviation Rule-making Committee). No offense to trickybit, but I don't think Patrick was really trying to fear-monger the modelers in order to gain support for his own corporation. I think his point is that modelers should carefully look at how the FAA treats the cUAV (commercial unmanned areal vehicles), for any new rules that are imposed there could potentially "bleed over" into the recreation realm of RC modeling. It's an entirely valid concern.

Patrick mentioned that you could take an RC model with a camera, accept $20 for taking some aerial shots, and it magically turns into a cUAV (or UAS). That's...actually...pretty close to being the truth. AMA is pretty clear that it does not deal with commercial activities:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMA
AMA is a self-supporting, non-profit organization whose purpose is to promote development of model aviation as a recognized sport and worthwhile recreation activity.
Here's the problem...what if you looked at it in reverse? If I purchased a used commercial UAS for my own recreational purposes, does that mean I'm no longer bound by the UAS regulations created by the ARC? Maybe or maybe not. How is a UAS different from an advanced RC model if they are both used recreationally? Not sure. If the ARC committee lacks modelers, then they'll probably just lay down blanket rules to cover all remote aircraft. This is why AMA is trying to draw a hard line between us RC Modelers and commercial aircraft. Per AMA President, Dave Mathewson, in his comment in the February 2009 edition of Model Aviation:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mathewson
To date, the majority of our efforts have focused on the FAA and the Aviation Rulemaking Committee (ARC) that I wrote about in an earlier column. Having a seat on this committee alongside with representatives of the federal government and the sUAS industry puts us in a position to advocate model aviation and help define the line between what we do as modelers and commercial sUAS activities.
As Patrick states: WE may know the difference, but THEY don't. The potential for bleed-over requires us to monitor both sides of remote aircraft regulation. I wish I could remember the company, but one commercial entity who wanted to move forward in using RC aircraft for commercial use actually pointed out the size and speed of some of our RC aircraft performing in U.S. airspace today with the intent of saying they should have the same right. Unfortunately, he may have instead injected fear and concern that will only cause additional regulation on modeling activities. AMA is having to fight FAA and some commercial industries while trying to be friends with both of them at the same time. It's going to be quite the two-step for the next couple of years.

@Jamie: If you could, PLEASE include this link to the show notes of episode #84. It is Dave Mathewson's perspective of how AMA will deal with the FAA ARC:
http://www.modelaircraft.org/Mag/Nov08/president.htm
He also mentions it again in February:
http://www.modelaircraft.org/mag/Feb09/president.htm

He's pretty clear that he shares Patrick's concern that the FAA's dealings with commercial entities like RCAPA will have at least some affect on Modeling. Patrick is just echoing this point.

A final link to add to the show notes: The RCAPA actually interviewed Dave Mathewson about the ARC.
Link: http://rcapa.net/RCAPA%20Reporter/site/AMA.pdf
As far as I'm concerned, the RCAPA is doing an excellent job of trying to move forward with the FAA without stepping on our toes. Many other corporations are not being so nice.

Awesome show, guys! Send Patrick my thanks!

- Jim

Disclaimer: I've been an AMA member for a LONG time. My membership number is #119219. There have been good years and not-so-good years, but otherwise the organization has done a good job of keeping us flying. Just my opinion, of course.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2009, 12:17 AM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
Thanks Jim, good to have you back!
Well, it seems the AMA would like a word in as well. Should be fun.

So is Jim going to SEFF???
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Old Mar 06, 2009, 01:09 AM
USA, CA, Fremont
Joined Sep 2004
3,676 Posts
Going to SEFF requires money. Since my wife got laid off, I don't have much money to play with. My cubicle-monkey paycheck is being stretched around a house payment, a mini-van, two kids, and MS college classes. I wish I could go, since it's been a couple years since I've been to a big show, but I think I'm going to have to save up for a year and pick one. Usually I hit the AMA convention, but I may try something different next year.

The Polaris looks pretty nice. I wonder how it compares to the Twinkle? I got the plans for a Twinkle and am looking at piecing one together for some summer fun:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=718438

- Jim
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2009, 01:20 AM
USA, CA, Fremont
Joined Sep 2004
3,676 Posts
You're not on the West Coast, Jamie. Do you ever sleep?
- Jim
RCG Plus Member