SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 02, 2008, 03:03 AM
frenzyscot
Dundee, Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
652 Posts
Build Log
Scratch-Build-Off 3 "XP-40 late"

Well, I want to make sure I put some effort into this BO as I did enter the previous one but got distracted by non important things

I have started by tracing a 3V of the proposed model and I intent to post as I progress through both the design and later building of this bird.

It is going to be an "XP-40 late" also known as "XP-40 modified" variant that led to production of the P-40 series by Curtiss. this is not the final XP-40 neither the early XP-40 that differ on position of the radiator, carburettor setup,exhaust stacks and engine/engine cowling.

I intent to dress this one the same way as my yet to be remaidened successfully P-63 on metal/aluminium cover. As far as wing span is concerned I think it is going to be more than 46in but less than 54in Hopefully this is going to be good training for me, in order to do a larger P-40/Tomahawk MK IIA at around 62inWS....
...Yup that my story anyways
xterarc is offline Find More Posts by xterarc
Last edited by xterarc; Nov 23, 2008 at 10:12 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2008, 04:24 AM
It must have a machinegun
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,271 Posts
Wow, you're off to an early start!

It will look really pretty in aluminium.
Scaledown is offline Find More Posts by Scaledown
Old Jan 19, 2009, 01:31 PM
frenzyscot
Dundee, Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
652 Posts
...still alive :)

Thought for a moment to swap this entry for a recently finished tempest 42inWS drawing but then the catholic guilt hit me hard ( I am not catholic just kidding, no offence)

So worked on the fuse formers the wing platform and did a criple rendering to check all the curves flow smoothly.

Looks just fine, while I love these kind of chunky radiators up front they tend to be a pain to get the shape right.

cheers

PS The tail was rendered as flat sections, but it is going to be built up on the model, just haven't worked on that just yet
Old Jan 19, 2009, 01:35 PM
Fly2Build.com
Redding,California
Joined Dec 2003
2,560 Posts
suhhweeeet! Looks nice

Mike
scratchnhover is online now Find More Posts by scratchnhover
Old Jan 19, 2009, 02:58 PM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Sonoma County CA!
Joined Jul 2007
1,336 Posts
I agree with Scaledown: if you're going with the Aluminum finish I've seen you do then this project will look awesome!

Good luck,

Paul
Longhorne is offline Find More Posts by Longhorne
Old Jan 19, 2009, 04:47 PM
....When pigs can fly
Duffel - Belgium
Joined Jan 2004
1,637 Posts
Early P-40's are so cool!

The screenshot is looking good. It makes me want to work on my P-40 design

Tom
W@CC0 is offline Find More Posts by W@CC0
Old Jan 20, 2009, 03:07 AM
frenzyscot
Dundee, Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
652 Posts
Indeed, early P-40 look sweet, in fact most things with an X tend to be amazing

Here is another of those prototypes hybernating on my electronic drawing board. I am thinking to use the robart rotating main gear for this one, which I think translates to at least ~64ish inWS oh well , lets see
Old Jan 20, 2009, 03:09 AM
frenzyscot
Dundee, Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
652 Posts
Thanks, the al tapes works like a wonder, by far the most authentic finish I have done (on the first P-63 of mine) surpisingly works better than using al kitchen foil