HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by bildo baggins, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 01, 2008, 09:44 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,616 Posts
Discussion
Dragoncon 2008

I have just returned from Dragon*Con 2008 and it was off the hook. I have always been a closet Sci-Fi geek but never went to any of the events. A few years ago my wife Kristin was forced to watch an episode of Star Trek Next Gen and unbeknownst to me became hooked on Sci-Fi. After seeing Firefly and Battlestar Galactica she is a full blown fangirl of the Sci-Fi channel. Long story short, this year she hauled me to Atlanta and we were chilling with the Storm Troopers, Super Heroes, gnomes and fairies.

If you've never been to one of these things, I highly recommend it. No matter if you are a fan of Sci-Fi/Fantasy or not, you are guaranteed to be entertained in some way or another. I hear the after parties are outrageous.

Anyway, here are some pics I snapped while cruising the hotels.
bildo baggins is online now Find More Posts by bildo baggins
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2008, 10:43 AM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,701 Posts
cool pictures, I wanted to ask someone what the heck this event was, I keep hearing about it on the radio, on the way home saturday from flying someone called into a radio station and said they were on the way there, he said he was dressed as the mad hatter (sp?) I figured from the movie 13 ghosts, but no clue what this event was, now after you posting this seems he was out of place, since these folks are from sci fi channel.but maybe not

I was a star Wars fan but never a Star trek fan. bout the only sci fi show I ever liked.
epoweredrc is online now Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Sep 01, 2008, 11:01 AM
YardGoat lives with mama
Joined Feb 2007
3,231 Posts
Is that the Marriott Marque in Atlanta?
Liquidity is offline Find More Posts by Liquidity
Old Sep 01, 2008, 11:06 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,616 Posts
Yep, I believe it is B. It spanned three hotels though. Lots of folks there and quite a few of them were very scantily clad. Never new Sci-fi chicks were that risque.

Nobody is out of place at this thing. If you're a freak you are welcomed and there were plenty of them there.
Old Sep 01, 2008, 11:31 AM
Plain Broke and Broke Planes!
Hoschton, GA
Joined Jul 2003
1,710 Posts
Very cool! There have been so many years I've almost pulled the trigger, but haven't quite had the nerve....
pcphill is offline Find More Posts by pcphill
Old Sep 01, 2008, 01:49 PM
War Eagle!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2006
2,832 Posts
Dude, we should get a group of RCG'ers together and go next year!
sneasle is offline Find More Posts by sneasle
Old Sep 01, 2008, 02:00 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,616 Posts
Just fall in behind me and the wife. Someone there said " Atlanta has been invaded by the white pasty people". You should have seen the looks on some of the locals when all those Storm Troopers, Klingons, Wookies, etc. came cruising through the streets.

There was a full size RC R2D2 there as well so it was related to the hobby at least. He was using a DX6 for control
Old Sep 01, 2008, 05:13 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo baggins
Just fall in behind me and the wife. Someone there said " Atlanta has been invaded by the white pasty people". You should have seen the looks on some of the locals when all those Storm Troopers, Klingons, Wookies, etc. came cruising through the streets.

There was a full size RC R2D2 there as well so it was related to the hobby at least. He was using a DX6 for control
wow cool, I loved R2D2 and Dang my mind went blank the guy who was always with him.
epoweredrc is online now Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Sep 01, 2008, 07:13 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,616 Posts
C3po
Old Sep 01, 2008, 08:02 PM
War Eagle!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2006
2,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo baggins

Ya, there is a group that is devoted to building droids and other robots. I have a pamphlet from them somewhere. They do really really good work, but the costs involved can reach that of mid range turbine jets very easily.

edit:

Go to the Klingon beauty pageant next year if you can, it's really funny.
sneasle is offline Find More Posts by sneasle
Old Sep 01, 2008, 09:53 PM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,095 Posts
uh... wow....
You gotta check this out!
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Old Sep 02, 2008, 12:13 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,616 Posts
Don't hate man
Old Sep 07, 2008, 10:55 PM
Build, Fly, Crash..Repeat
St. Peters, Mo. USA
Joined Mar 2005
975 Posts
That looks like a typical friday night at our local mall.
Wingman65 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman65
Old Nov 10, 2009, 12:43 PM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,382 Posts
Coo.. Bildo. Didn't realise you were a Sci-Fi Geek! (Aren't people surprising! )

I'd like to go to such a convention - but never really hear of them - and the 'good' ones are in your country!

Anyway, you can't have much wrong with someone who likes things like Firefly.. (BRING IT BACK!).

P.S. You MUST watch Babylon 5 - from the start. Brilliant stories...(after the first 2 or 3 )
Norman Adlam is offline Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Nov 10, 2009, 04:38 PM
YardGoat lives with mama
Joined Feb 2007
3,231 Posts
bildo - where is this years pics?
Liquidity is offline Find More Posts by Liquidity