Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Apr 28, 2009, 12:55 PM
Portugal
Joined Mar 2004
2,637 Posts
Look here and here for your brand of Transmitter and follow the instructions.

You need to connect GND (ground), Vcc (+bat) and ppm out.

With your TU module, you receive a extension, if you have to, just cut it and solder the wires to the correspondent outputs of your Tx and the plug to the TU module.
jalves is offline Find More Posts by jalves
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2009, 01:02 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
i'm a slow typer, thanks i'll look through and see if I can figure it out.

edit: That looks like the same idea tho. Its saying how to go through the outside of the tx to do wiring. That I understand. I've been seeing people hooking things up internally. I guess what I'm looking for is a diagram of the RF board...
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Last edited by ashdec87; Apr 28, 2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 04:58 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Ok I just had one of Oprah's "Ah Ha Moments." ( She's suing someone for using it..lol)

Anyway, so the wires get soldered to the back of the board, not to the external pins themselves right?? That makes more sense.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 06:19 PM
Portugal
Joined Mar 2004
2,637 Posts
Or you solder the wires to the pins, but by the inside.

Don't know the FF9 internals, can't help you more than this

But my oldie FF6 has the buddy connector soldered to a pcb and, IIRC, we can solder wires to the pins terminals by the inside.

If it is the case, you can follow the pcb traces to the wires that go to the logic pcb.

And if it is all integrated in one pcb, just follow the traces from the external teacher socket pins and find a suitable place to solder the TU module wires.
jalves is offline Find More Posts by jalves
Old Apr 28, 2009, 07:13 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
were talking about the 6 little pins in the middle right?? is there any good way to solder the wires to them? I've never worked on circuit boards before...lol
Old Apr 28, 2009, 08:33 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,005 Posts
Just solder them on with the wires lying flat against the pcb. After you are done soldering, add a bit of hot glue to the wire (not the solder joint) for stress relieve so that it won't break easily. Make sure you don't short to the next circuit traces, is all.

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Apr 29, 2009, 07:12 AM
thought 2.4 doesn't glitch *g*
Europe
Joined Feb 2009
85 Posts
The FF9 does support HF modules, right? If yes, there must be the the PPM signal there. So another possibility would be to use that bay and connect the TU module there - either soldered or connected by a plug.
Tango.Oscar.Mike is offline Find More Posts by Tango.Oscar.Mike
Old Apr 29, 2009, 08:25 AM
Scotland
Joined Apr 2001
440 Posts
now thats a good idea - a plug, but how would you know which pins to connect to?
R101 is offline Find More Posts by R101
Old Apr 29, 2009, 10:06 AM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
ok one more thing, I'm gonna run to radioshack to get some wiring and a switch. I dont see an led on the tu module, does an led need anything more than a power supply to run?
Old Apr 29, 2009, 10:27 AM
Restricted User
Frankfurt-region, Germany
Joined Mar 2003
1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango.Oscar.Mike
The FF9 does support HF modules, right? If yes, there must be the the PPM signal there. So another possibility would be to use that bay and connect the TU module there - either soldered or connected by a plug.
The FF9 supports HF modules, but i want to use the bay for the existing HF module (35mhz in my case) and install the Duplex TU inside the TX incl. a switch to change between the both modules. I have many 35mhz rx in my models and changing them all is not possible (payable). Maybe winning the lottery..
Stephan
StephanB is online now Find More Posts by StephanB
Last edited by StephanB; Apr 29, 2009 at 10:28 AM. Reason: typo
Old Apr 29, 2009, 11:03 AM
Europe
Joined Feb 2009
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R101
now thats a good idea - a plug, but how would you know which pins to connect to?
I am sorry, don't know on the FF9, but maybe this info is already available on the net. Or, you could measure the voltage values on the pins and find out - the PPM signal should be something around 1V and supplyvoltage will be obvious. Another one will be the antenna signal, which you don't need for the TU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanB
The FF9 supports HF modules, but i want to use the bay for the existing HF module (35mhz in my case) and install the Duplex TU inside the TX incl. a switch to change between the both modules. I have many 35mhz rx in my models and changing them all is not possible (payable). Maybe winning the lottery..
Stephan
Understand that - I was thinking to go the same way but ended up selling all 35MHz RX's on ebay. Of course I don't get the same amount of 2.4GHz RX's now, but at least there are still people buying them at the moment. ;-)
Then I integrated Jeti and Assan (switchable) in my MC3030, but threw out Assan already - it might work for others, did not for me. I rely in Jeti only now and it works perfect for me.
However, if you want to make the TU module switchable with the 35MHz module, you need to find the pinning of the module anyway, because you want to switch off the 35MHz module when using 2,4. Otherwise it would always be on and you could accidentally shoot a buddy down, while you are flying 2.4.

Tom
Old Apr 29, 2009, 11:32 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,005 Posts
I think the FF9 is the same as the Futaba 9CHPS

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Apr 29, 2009, 11:42 AM
Scotland
Joined Apr 2001
440 Posts
re the pinout - found this
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387442
R101 is offline Find More Posts by R101
Old Apr 29, 2009, 01:57 PM
Europe
Joined Feb 2009
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R101
Thats a starting point. You would need pins 1,2 & 4. Take a multimeter and make sure the pin allocation is the same in your TX module bay.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 12:18 AM
Restricted User
Frankfurt-region, Germany
Joined Mar 2003
1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango.Oscar.Mike
Thats a starting point. You would need pins 1,2 & 4. Take a multimeter and make sure the pin allocation is the same in your TX module bay.
Done.
pin 4 = gnd
pin 2 = switched +
How to identify ppm? Voltage against ground seems to be 0 Volt at pin 1 against gnd.

Batt has 10,38 Volt.
pin 2 shows 10,31 Volt against gnd.
pin 3 shows 5,06 Volt against gnd.
pin 5 is not connected to anything (? not sure)

Thanks for your support.
Stephan
StephanB is online now Find More Posts by StephanB
Closed Thread