SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Oct 04, 2008, 10:39 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,287 Posts
Hi Coro, thanks for your testing so far.

So low voltage looks good, thats a huge advantage.

How does the binding process work? Any binding plugs or buttons?
Is there an indicator LED, showing when reception is bad or missing?
Is the low voltage alarm treshold value stored in the reciever or module?

Thanks a lot,

Julian
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2008, 10:59 AM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktor
The first parts are available:

http://www.rc-easy.com/shop/index.ph...hz-Duplex.html

Prices are in EURO
nice. was wondering if they would have a futaba compatible module and now see that they do. assuming that the 19% VAT is only for local buyers and i won't have to pay it teh prices look pretty good.

and yay, the receivers are end pin. could it be possible that the manufacturer is actually listening to modelers?
ZAGNUT is offline Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old Oct 04, 2008, 11:14 AM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
About $111 in US Dollars without the VAT for the TX module. Does the TX module come with the Jeti box as shown in one of the pictures?

for those that want to do the conversions themselves:
http://www.xe.com/ucc/
Remember to take the VAT into account.

Here is the table of receiver sizes and weights:
http://www.rc-easy.com/shop/images/p..._tabelle_2.jpg

And reading through the descriptions, it seems like they came up with a very interesting way of doing things. Say you have a 16 channel TX, and a model that uses all 16 channels. SInce they don't have a 16 channel RX, you use two of the 8 channel RX and tell them which channels they are each using. Or it seems that you could use four of the 4 channel RX to cover the same number of servos. This means you could stop running long servo wires from a single reicer to the ends of your model. Put a receiver back in the tail for elevator and rudder, one in each wing for aileron and flaps, etc. This seems to be a very good approach, and makes the system much more versatile. Should give all the other systems a run for the money, especially if Jeti reverse engineers the data stream on some of the other radios so that you don't need to deal with the PPM conversion.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Oct 04, 2008, 11:33 AM
Slovakia
Joined Apr 2005
3,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez
How does the binding process work? Any binding plugs or buttons?
Is there an indicator LED, showing when reception is bad or missing?
Is the low voltage alarm treshold value stored in the reciever or module?
Hi Julian,
There is just a 3-pin short circuit plug that is plugged into receiver data port (input of telemetry extensions), to initiate bind. It can also be used for range test, but the range test can be initiated thru menus as well. (Range test means low power transmit mode).
There is no led at receiver R6. Receiver bind or power up (or link if it can be lost) is indicated by beep of TX module.

All settings are stored in receiver (my opinion), because of the nature of data link to JetiBox terminal - it is simply a bidirectional link, all texts of menus are sent by receiver (or any other device selected from list of available online resources) and JetiBox sends back only keystrokes. As far as I can guess, also a beep is just a one of the characters sent by receiver. JetiBox acts exactly the same if connected to RX directly, as if it is connected to TX and the RX is selected from list.
Receiver supply voltage at which alarm is triggered, is set in 0.1V steps thru JetiBox, as one of many receiver settings. Also Min and Max values are stored in Rx(permanent), and are reset only by pressing both left+right keys on jetibox in this mode.
With receiver switched off (no power), TX keeps silently and shortly beeping each cca10 seconds, to indicate no reply from RX. This should be the same as if downstream data will not pass to TX from RX (i think it will be real in case of so many 2.4 TXses at the field or strong and too close to TX 2.4GHz camera will shade off the weak RX signal from very far distance).
I am not familiar with the whole system so far, to know all the features and possible settings. Also, each device that will be connected into data bus, can have its own menu system and list of events.

ADD: no, Jetibox is separately purchased device. Many users of Spin ESC are using it already. TX module includes just an antena.
In RX setup, You can assign each RX output to any of 16 channels. I am not familiar whether more than two receivers can be used, or it is limited to only one or two online.
coro is offline Find More Posts by coro
Old Oct 04, 2008, 12:00 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,287 Posts
Thanks for your detailled reply!

I like how the module informs the user with beeps about whether it gets data from the RX or not. This could be very useful to determine the best antenna positioning.

It would be perfect if one could connect some sort of variometer function to the system. I don't know if the available GPS module works fast enough for this task, but if one of the telemetry sensors was some kind of altimeter, this would be beautiful.
I assume one cannot plug some sort of earphoes to the Jeti box?

Well, perhaps Jeti can produce some kind of "Vario Box" to plug into the module, with an earphone jack. This box then transfers the altitude signals the module gets from the RX into the distinctive variometer beeps.

Could you take a sounding whether something like this is possible or planned, or not?

Thanks a lot again!

Cheers,

Julian
Old Oct 04, 2008, 12:24 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
It still looks like this is the system to beat, ultimate performance is still the only real question.
Old Oct 04, 2008, 12:28 PM
Slovakia
Joined Apr 2005
3,386 Posts
Technically possible, using data bus it should be quite simple, but it was mentioned that possible is also a separate external box.. I have heard that somebody else have heard something about tft screen and speech module, planned - but it is too soon to wait for it.
The primary point is for now, that plane control have to be flawless, rock solid.. We expect so. Murphy§s law says opposite, well.. we will see. But as for design, i see no questionable points so far.
Old Oct 04, 2008, 12:53 PM
Joined Jan 2007
180 Posts
Wow.. It's funny, I thought this thread had been forgotten, found the rc-easy webshop earlier today, and now it is in this thread . I'll buy this system as soon as possible

Need an 8 ch reciever though (waiting). Allready have the jeti box, is the reciever programming somewhat like the rex jbc recievers?

Feel like a 5-year old boy on xmas morning
slowswede is offline Find More Posts by slowswede
Last edited by slowswede; Oct 04, 2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2008, 12:53 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,287 Posts
Yeah thats right, reliable control comes first.

I'm looking forward to your further testing

Nice to hear about further plannings. The Jeti box as it is now lets a lot of the telemetrie opportunities lie idle.
Old Oct 04, 2008, 01:14 PM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot
About $111 in US Dollars without the VAT for the TX module. Does the TX module come with the Jeti box as shown in one of the pictures?

for those that want to do the conversions themselves:
http://www.xe.com/ucc/
Remember to take the VAT into account.

Here is the table of receiver sizes and weights:
http://www.rc-easy.com/shop/images/p..._tabelle_2.jpg

And reading through the descriptions, it seems like they came up with a very interesting way of doing things. Say you have a 16 channel TX, and a model that uses all 16 channels. SInce they don't have a 16 channel RX, you use two of the 8 channel RX and tell them which channels they are each using. Or it seems that you could use four of the 4 channel RX to cover the same number of servos. This means you could stop running long servo wires from a single reicer to the ends of your model. Put a receiver back in the tail for elevator and rudder, one in each wing for aileron and flaps, etc. This seems to be a very good approach, and makes the system much more versatile. Should give all the other systems a run for the money, especially if Jeti reverse engineers the data stream on some of the other radios so that you don't need to deal with the PPM conversion.
dividing the VAT inclusive price by 1.19 and converting the currency i get $115. very good compared to what futaba wants for their modules AND the jeti will support a lot more channels if that option ever materializes in the microstar. receiver options and prices also look great.

the receiver "cascading" you mention has been implemented by sombra and i was always wondering why other companies haven't done the same. seems like no big deal to work out since you've already got a MCU on board that can easily handle the task.

waiting to see how the system works out...

dave
Old Oct 04, 2008, 01:18 PM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,276 Posts
coro, have you opened anything up yet? i would especially like to know how they did the antennas on the receiver. are they just short pieces of insulated wire? or are they coax cable with u.fl connector and just part of the braided shielding stripped off the end?

dave
Old Oct 04, 2008, 01:31 PM
Slovakia
Joined Apr 2005
3,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAGNUT
coro, have you opened anything up yet? i would especially like to know how they did the antennas on the receiver. are they just short pieces of insulated wire? or are they coax cable with u.fl connector and just part of the braided shielding stripped off the end?

dave
Two antenas are shielded and stripped at the end. My R6 receiver is closed in plastic box and seems not openable, antenas are passing tight thru plastic box. I better do not like connectors there, hopefully they are soldered. Length of coax part is 65mm (2.55 inch), stripped part is 30mm(1.18in).
I have TU module for TX, it has soldered coax wire, with connector to standard Wifi-like antena.
Old Oct 04, 2008, 02:03 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
I multiplied by .81 and and converted and got $111, maybe the rates changed between the two different postings? Still it seems like it will be a nice kit, the 4 channel recievers are even small enough for a lot of the parkflyers, and they still have telemetry.
Old Oct 04, 2008, 02:06 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,287 Posts
They have soldered the coax cables both at the module and the RX:

You can see the RF feed as the center contact of the 3 contacts at the right side. The trace goes under the beeper where the coax appears to be soldered on.

I wonder about the lenght of the unshielded RF feed trace...
It comes from the black chip, goes through the tiny SMD thingy, down to the green PCB, takes a turn there and finally goes into the antenna.
Isn't this a little long?
Last edited by Julez; Oct 04, 2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2008, 02:46 PM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot
I multiplied by .81 ....
the tax man must love you

and i'm starting to think that waiting a while before going with FASST was a good idea.

coro, yes soldered is better than the ufl connectors but my main concern was the type of wire used. shielded cable is good and it sounds like they already left enough length for most installations. those who need more length could still easily replace the cables with longer ones as the soldered connections don't look too scary. the short antennas is one of my main gripes with the spektrum stuff...

dave
Closed Thread