Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 21, 2008, 07:17 AM
road wart
United States, CT, Stonington
Joined Aug 2003
2,908 Posts
So after having or seen both......Eflite ultimate or this......figure in the price difference.....which one? thankyou Bruce
racie34 is offline Find More Posts by racie34
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2008, 07:42 AM
Precision Aerobatics Team
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Dec 2006
1,958 Posts
No contest

PA Ultimate wins hands down dude
demonGti is offline Find More Posts by demonGti
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: PA Addiction XL
Old Dec 21, 2008, 07:47 AM
road wart
Joined Aug 2003
2,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonGti
PA Ultimate wins hands down dude
I've had my eye on this .....they seemed to be around the same size as each other..kinda curious how each faired against one another. I had the PA katana a while back....kinda cool. so motors from my own stock..lets see...Power 10 okay? 3s? thanks Bruce
Old Dec 21, 2008, 06:30 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Jun 2004
1,445 Posts
Hi guys,

Precision Aerobatics Team wishes you a merry Christmas and a fantastic new year.

We prepared a special treat for you Ė so if you ever wondered how Santa torque rolls Ė check out this short video

http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/v...o%20xmas08.mov

Dave, Matt - absolutely brilliant!

Precision Aerobatics Team
www.PrecisionAerobatics.com
Precision Aerob is offline Find More Posts by Precision Aerob
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Precision Aerob; Dec 21, 2008 at 06:50 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 07:13 PM
Gonna need a bigger plane . .
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,945 Posts
What a great way to say thank you. PA, you've got style, a Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and a Thank You right back at you.
FlopGun is offline Find More Posts by FlopGun
Old Dec 21, 2008, 07:17 PM
road wart
Joined Aug 2003
2,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlopGun
What a great way to say thank you. PA, you've got style, a Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and a Thank You right back at you.
I cannot get it to play on my puter, so, you'll hafta send me a dvd....thankyou PA
Old Dec 21, 2008, 07:38 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racie34
So after having or seen both......Eflite ultimate or this......figure in the price difference.....which one? thankyou Bruce

The only thing these two airframes have in common is that they are both Ultimates by name. There is no other comparison at all. The E-Flight is no where near the kind of airframe as the PA. The PA is light years ahead of the EF.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Dec 21, 2008, 07:45 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,659 Posts
Quote:
I cannot get it to play on my puter, so, you'll hafta send me a dvd....thankyou PA
Won't play on mine either. I'm pretty ignorant on the computer and I just get a question mark in the middle of the screen. Wrong media player maybe???
Steve
stevelmaa is online now Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Old Dec 21, 2008, 07:50 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,345 Posts
same here
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Dec 21, 2008, 07:52 PM
There is no place like Hodges!
United States, GA, Byron
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
Going to be ordering my AMR tomorrow!!! So EXCITED!
edge5foamy is offline Find More Posts by edge5foamy
Old Dec 21, 2008, 08:24 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,444 Posts
Well yesterday was the only day this week that was to have a break in the rain and low winds, so I worked my butt off all Friday (until 2:30am) to finish it. Got everything finished except cutting out the spinner as I didn't want to wake the family up using the dremel tool.

My setup was the Thrust 40, TP Extreme V2 2200 3S1P, Turnigy Plush 60A ESC (which will be replaced by my defective CC 45 when I get it back), APC 14x7, HS-65MGs in the tail and HS-65 HBs in the ailerons. The plane came out to 40.1oz (1137grams).

My first flight I had the CG pretty far forward and I noticed that it took some work to get the nose up and keep it there. There was also some rock in the upright harrier, but inverted it was perfectly smooth. As I move the CG back in small increments over the first 5 flights, I noticed that the harriers rocking smoothed out dramatically. I could also maintain a higher alpha harrier without it wanting to drop a wing. Of all of the larger bipes I have flown, this easily does the best harrier of the bunch. It also is the easiest to harrier. By the end of the day I was confident enough in it to start doing some low hovers and torque rolls. Really thatís one of the best features of this bipe with those short wings and that big 14x7 prop, it really does a nice torque roll.

The other features that make bipes fun is the end over end maneuvers such as waterfalls and knife edge spins. Even with my CG forward on the first flight, it would do the tightest knife edge spin I have ever done. With the CG back, it was crazy tight and fast. Tumbling was also impressive, but this plane needs a bit more power to knock of my Velox on a 4s system as the king of tumbling. The short fuse length also allows AMR to do some wicked flat spins. It needs quite a bit of countering aileron throws to keep it from rolling out of the flat spin, but they are really tight and was one of the moves that really wowed the crowd. I put the plane through quite a few blenders and everything held together. The rolls were fast and the snaps hard and it flattened out nicely at the end of the blender

The PA Ultimate like most bipes has major coupling issues in a knife edge that have to be mixed out. 2 different mixes were needed to get rid of roll and elevator coupling in a knife edge, but once that was done, it held the KE cleanly. The rudder had plenty of authority to keep the nose up or pull it into a nice looking knife edge loop. As I moved the CG back each flight I noticed my knife edge mixes had to be adjusted as well, so once I find the spot I like best, I probably won't move it again.

Power on the thrust 40 with a 14x7 and 3s1p 2200 25C pack was good, but not amazing. Don't expect the same power you see with the Torque 2814 or Reaper GR45 on 4S packs, but itís definitely on par with those motors on 3s setups. I have yet to set it up on my thrust meter, but its feels like itís around 1.25 to 1.5 power to weight ratio. It has decent pullout power from a hover and for unlimited climbs. As I mentioned earlier, this plane has a lower top speed then a plane like the Velox because of its 3s setup and more airframe drag, so the tumbles are no where near as hard as the Velox. On a 4s setup, I think the AMR would do wicked tumbles.

So this brings me to my biggest gripe about this plane and that is the battery tray and the major pain that it is to get the battery in and out. First off, the space between the tray and the cross supports on the fuse leave ZERO space for anything larger than a standard 3S pack. Actually fatter 3S packs won't even fit and 4S packs are completely out of the question. My Zippy-R 3S 2200 packs rub against the cross supports when they are inserted, the TP Extreme packs have maybe a 1mm of clearance and my older loongmax packs wouldnít even fit. To get the packs in you have to twist them in between 2 cross supports and slide them forward along the tray. If you have Velcro on the tray you wonít be able to slide the battery in to place. I ended up using 2 tiny squares of Velcro on the tray, just to stop the battery from moving forward and back, but allowed the battery to be pushed easily over them. I also used a Velcro strap to wrap the battery to the battery tray. I found that the battery didn't move at all during my 5 flights.

Aside from the battery tray, the rest of the construction of the plane is top notch like most PA products. All of the pieces fit perfectly and the build time was about 7 hours. My covering was smooth and I didn't encounter any warps in the wings or stabilizers. This plane has a lot of small pieces that have to fit in a very exact manor and everything was perfect. I have to give PA props for also having a great tinted canopy. They have the strongest oversized magnets in the rear of the canopy and I can't see this blowing off. Actually it almost makes it a bit hard to get the canopy off because they are so strong. Itís not quite as good as a canopy latch, but itís the next best thing.

I would like to recommend that PA start adding a extra parts package with their planes as its way to easy to lose one of the small bolts or screws and have your construction come to a grinding halt as you have to make a trip to the hobby store.

So based on my first 5 flights, I have to say I'm very impressed with this plane. It flies great, even with the biplane quirks; it has solid 3D performance and good construction. It is also one of the best looking planes I have seen in a while (Yellow all of way!).

Matt
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daloaf; Dec 21, 2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 08:30 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daloaf
Well yesterday was the only day this week that was to have a break in the rain and low winds, so I worked my butt on all Friday (until 2:30am) to finish it. Got everything finished except cutting out the spinner as I didn't want to wake the family up using the dremel tool.

My setup was the Thrust 40, TP Extreme V2 2200 3S1P, Turnigy Plush 60A ESC (which will be replaced by my defective CC 45 when I get it back), APC 14x7, HS-65MGs in the tail and HS-65 HBs in the ailerons. The plane came out to 40.1oz (1137grams).

My first flight I had the CG pretty far forward and I noticed that it took some work to get the nose up and keep it there. There was also some rock in the upright harrier, but inverted it was perfectly smooth. As I move the CG back in small increments over the first 5 flights, I noticed that the harriers rocking smoothed out dramatically. I could also maintain a higher alpha harrier without it wanting to drop a wing. Of all of the larger bipes I have flown, this easily does the best harrier of the bunch. It also is the easiest to harrier. By the end of the day I was confident enough in it to start doing some low hovers and torque rolls. Really thatís one of the best features of this bipe with those short wings and that big 14x7 prop, it really does a nice torque roll.

The other features that make bipes fun is the end over end maneuvers such as waterfalls and knife edge spins. Even with my CG forward on the first flight, it would do the tightest knife edge spin I have ever seen. With the CG back, it was crazy tight and fast. Tumbling was also impressive, but this plane needs a bit more power to knock of my Velox on a 4s system as the king of tumbling. The short fuse length also allows AMR to do some wicked flat spins. It needs quite a bit of countering aileron throws to keep it from rolling out of the flat spin, but they are really tight and was one of the moves that really wowed the crowd. I put the plane through quite a few blenders and everything held together. The rolls were fast and the snaps hard and it flattened out nicely at the end of the blender

The PA Ultimate like most bipes has major coupling issues in a knife edge that have to be mixed out. 2 different mixes were needed to get rid of roll and elevator coupling in a knife edge, but once that was done, it held the KE cleanly. The rudder had plenty of authority to keep the nose up or pull it into a nice looking knife edge loop. As I moved the CG back each flight I noticed my knife edge mixes had to be adjusted as well, so once I find the spot I like best, I probably won't move it again.

Power on the thrust 40 with a 14x7 and 3s1p 2200 25C pack was good, but not amazing. Don't expect the same power you see with the Torque 2814 or Reaper GR45 on 4S packs, but itís definitely on par with those motors on 3s setups. I have yet to set it up on my thrust meter, but its feels like itís around 1.25 to 1.5 power to weight ratio. It has decent pullout power from a hover and for unlimited climbs. As I mentioned earlier, this plane has a lower top speed then a plane like the Velox because of its 3s setup and more airframe drag, so the tumbles are not where near as hard as the Velox. On a 4s setup, I think the AMR would do wicked tumbles.

So this brings me to my biggest gripe about this plane and that is the battery tray and the major pain that it is to get the battery in and out. First off, the space between the tray and the cross supports on the fuse leave ZERO space for anything larger than a standard 3S pack. Actually fatter 3S packs won't even fit. My Zippy-R 3S 2200 packs rub against the cross supports when they are inserted, the TP Extreme packs have maybe a 1mm of clearance and my older loongmax packs wouldnít even fit. To get the packs in you have to twist them in between 2 cross supports and slide them forward along the tray. If you have Velcro on the tray you wonít be able to slide the battery in to place. I ended up using 2 tiny squares of Velcro on the tray, just to stop the battery from moving forward and back, but allowed the battery to be pushed easily over them. I also used a Velcro strap to wrap the battery to the battery tray. I found that the battery didn't move at all during my 5 flights.

Aside from the battery tray, the rest of the construction of the plane is top notch like most PA products. All of the pieces fit perfectly and the build time was about 7 hours. My covering was smooth and I didn't encounter any warps in the wings or stabilizers. This plane has a lot of small pieces that have to fit in a very exact manor and everything was perfect. I have to give PA props for also having a great tinted canopy. They have the strongest oversized magnets in the rear of the canopy and I can't see this blowing off. Actually it almost makes it a bit hard to get the canopy off because they are so strong. Itís not quite as good as a canopy latch, but itís the next best thing.

I would like to recommend that PA start adding a extra parts package with their planes as its way to easy to lose one of the small bolts or screws and have your construction come to a grinding halt as you have to make a trip to the hobby store.

So based on my first 5 flights, I have to say I'm very impressed with this plane. It flies great, even with the biplane quirks; it has solid 3D performance and good construction. It is also one of the best looking planes I have seen in a while (Yellow all of way!).

Matt
Nice review! Where do you fly? Like to see your AMR in person!
bighead93 is offline Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:29 PM
Gonna need a bigger plane . .
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,945 Posts
Quote:
It's an Apple Quicktime movie. I use Videolan to view these.
FlopGun is offline Find More Posts by FlopGun
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:39 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead93
Nice review! Where do you fly? Like to see your AMR in person!
I fly at our not so secret field in Foster City, CA or at Rancho San Antonio park in Cupertino. PM me and I can let you know the next time I'm heading out to fly it. Although with the weather right now it might be a while, heh.

Matt
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daloaf; Dec 21, 2008 at 10:47 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:50 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,551 Posts
http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/v...0xmas%2008.mov

I can view it when I go to the site...strange!

Sounds like a plan Matt! But yeah it will be a while...7 days of rain stinks!!
bighead93 is offline Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member